Author Topic: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.0 released)  (Read 13028 times)

odjinan

Re: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.0 released)
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 05:18:30 am »
So I haven't been following RS-97 development, does IPU mean hardware graphics support, so that there's more CPU time for emulation?
Basically, can I expect PSX to run faster using it?

Also, I assume this only works for JZ4760B versions of the RS-97.  Unfortunately I have a 2.0

yes , this firmware support all revision of the rs97 (except the damned plus version), you will patch the image accordingly to your revision (a simple batch to run). Mine is an old 2.1 version and its working great.
gameblabla is improving a lot psx4all, check this topic: https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/my-ipk-builds-for-retrofw/

far

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2019, 05:19:50 am »
I installed the latest RetroFW tonight from the google drive link in the OP, using a 64GB internal SD card, and I used a 256GB SD card as a ROM disk in the cartridge adapter.

The 256GB SD card does not mount in retrofw, but it worked just fine in uselessFW.
Also, plugging my RS97 with RetroFW into my computer does not mount/detect any drives in windows (though the device drivers appear to work just fine, and windows recognizes the connection). Not sure if these are known issues, just wanted to report them.

Update:
I was wrong about the 256GB SD card, it is mounted in RetroFW, but its in the /media directory not the /mnt directory.
However using a 64GB SD card as the internal seems to have lead to lots of problems, including an inability to write anything to the card from within gmenu2x, ie can't install any ipk or modify any settings.  I installed RetroFW on the original 16GB SD card and it resolved my issues, but introduced a few new ones...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:30:39 pm by far »

eltehero

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2019, 08:11:18 am »
Impressive support for this device thanks to all devs. Will be getting one very soon after I regrettably sold my Zero a while ago

@alekmaul

Can you port your excellent GCW Zero Mame4All V1.1/1.2 if you have the device?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:25:56 am by eltehero »

Elegubiel

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:36 pm »
Hope I won't have to trash my plus... sigh!

jamesensor

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 10:48:09 pm »
Hi friends,

I have my rs97 launching from external sdcard with useless firmware.

To install this I only have to write the nerds img file, patched for my version (1.0s) in the rs97's internal card, put it back inside the device, and run it? No previous procedure to swap boot to internal back again or something?

Then I keep my external for roms only, I guess.

Update: yes, it worked. I'm amazed at how simple is to access the internal sdcard and do the firmware installation. Usb also started to work, when plugged to my pc.   ;D

A simple question: how do you guys set up your mame emu? In useless we had the custom ui with game pics. Now I have to browse games same way pico drive does  :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:06:46 am by jamesensor »
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

Jason01

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2019, 12:53:36 am »
Hi friends,

I have my rs97 launching from external sdcard with useless firmware.

To install this I only have to write the nerds img file, patched for my version (1.0s) in the rs97's internal card, put it back inside the device, and run it? No previous procedure to swap boot to internal back again or something?

Then I keep my external for roms only, I guess.

Update: yes, it worked. I'm amazed at how simple is to access the internal sdcard and do the firmware installation. Usb also started to work, when plugged to my pc.   ;D

A simple question: how do you guys set up your mame emu? In useless we had the custom ui with game pics. Now I have to browse games same way pico drive does  :(

Mame hasn't been ported yet, only FBA.  To show the FBA UI for the games list instead of the "browse games" folder, edit the menu link and change "Show Folders" to "Off".  When FBA loads, you'll want to go into its options (press Start) and specify your roms folder.  Also, you should set it to "Show roms=Available only".

jamesensor

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2019, 01:42:31 am »
Thank you jason01! In fact, thank you all who contributed in this thread so we could have this.

One last question, that may help others as well: how do we add screenshots to roms in fba?
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

HercTNT

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2019, 03:57:07 am »
Amazing work overall. RS-97 getting better all the time. I have one issue maybe someone can help me with. Installed firmware no issues. installed ipk's no issues. run emulators and they cannot see my external sd card. plug machine into the usb and both internal and external sd cards work fine. i'm confused.

jamesensor

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2019, 09:13:45 pm »
I got it. Fba's folder is at /home where /previews store screenshots. They need to be in bmp format, which can be converted with some batch op software.

far

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:48 pm »
Amazing work overall. RS-97 getting better all the time. I have one issue maybe someone can help me with. Installed firmware no issues. installed ipk's no issues. run emulators and they cannot see my external sd card. plug machine into the usb and both internal and external sd cards work fine. i'm confused.

You probably made the same mistake I did and thought the external SD card would be under the /mnt directory at the root of the filesystem.  It is not, it is under /media.

Jason01

« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2019, 10:03:01 pm »

Make sure your emulators are looking for the external SD card in the "media" folder.  This is one of the differences between this RetroFW firmware and previous firmware.

HercTNT

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2019, 08:29:56 am »

You probably made the same mistake I did and thought the external SD card would be under the /mnt directory at the root of the filesystem.  It is not, it is under /media.

Thank you both, that worked like a charm. So far everything retrofw is amazing. Huge thanks to everyone involved continuing the evolution of the rs-97.

Now for the shameless begging ;) can't wait to see some of my favorites get ported (i know these things take time)
openjazz, opentyrian, c-dogs, and sonic roboblast 2 would be amazing. Would still love to see micropolis ported as well. don't think it has ever made an appearance on a machine like this.
I"m also hoping the music and movie player make a return trip.

Thanks again, this kind of progress is amazing.

eltehero

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2019, 03:45:35 pm »
It would be very nice to play Neo Geo CD and AES games on RS-97

AES4ALL (neogeo AES emu) and NEO4ALL (Neogeo CD emu) were ported to Dingoo A320 by chui

Source code available here http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/ if someone wants to
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:10:55 pm by eltehero »

adventureFAN

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2019, 06:06:51 pm »
Okey guys, I will thank you so much for the support of the RS-97.
I really thought I bought a peace of junk... but with the RetroFW and the IPKs of gameblabla it become a very decent little device for the pocket.

Thank you guys! You are awsome!

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2019, 06:25:45 pm »
Okay updated my website with the new RetroFW v1.0 all the images have already been patched so just download the one for your hardware and flash no patching involved your see download links to the ipk files next to firmwares enjoy.  https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90/home/

naxeras

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:24 am »
Okay updated my website with the new RetroFW v1.0 all the images have already been patched so just download the one for your hardware and flash no patching involved your see download links to the ipk files next to firmwares enjoy.  https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90/home/

It's someone working in porting this firmware to RS-07?

Regards.

gameblabla

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2019, 01:07:39 pm »
It's someone working in porting this firmware to RS-07?
Regards.
The reason why RetroFW exists on the RS-97 at all was due to IPU support and the fact it was pretty much a requirement for the RS-97.
On the Arcade Mini though, the IPU is less useful and Tony's kernel code does not support different resolutions yet so it's useless for now.
It will be supported though, once Tony improves his IPU code in the next month or so.

I plan to base my firmware around the rootfs for this one but it looks like it won't be easy plus they don't share the source code for GmenuNx and the GUI extender yet...

eltehero

Anyone working on mame4all for this firmware?

Post a new topic