Author Topic: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.0 released)  (Read 12580 times)

Jason01

Re: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.0 released)
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 02:30:17 am »
It doesn't install the .ipk files..  you do!  Copy the .ipk files to your micro SD, then launch Commander, select the .ipk file and press the A button to install it..

Fishcakes

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 02:35:27 am »
Take a look here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14bgV9f_weOz0ZAy7WdRl4i5ItYGGViK3

It's the download directory for all the .ipk files..  they are the add-ons after you install the firmware.

Derp. Thanks man. Really should use my eyes a bit more

cocker

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 01:37:09 pm »
Any update to when these items will be ported to the new RetroFW?
- ScummVM
- Video Player
- Mame4All

I'm wondering if the video player would work any better on RetroFW compared to previous firmwares? I couldn't get ANY video to play smoothly on the old firmware.

I have compiled ScummVM from here ...

https://github.com/steward-fu/rs97_src/tree/master/scummvm

It seems to work fine but only tried it with Beneth a Steel Sky

https://anonfile.com/61r80et6b1/scummvm_09022019_ipk

Elegubiel

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 04:12:52 pm »
Can I install this on rs97 plus?

ace9094

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:56 pm »
Can I install this on rs97 plus?

Ooohhh good question... Hopefully soon there will be a good youtube video comparing both devices in detail :)
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Jason01

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 02:27:16 am »
Thanks for doing this...  ScummVM runs, but I can't get the sound working correctly.  I'm trying to run Monkey Island and the sound is bunch of clicks and scratching sounds.  Any idea how to fix this?  Did the sound work correctly for you for Beneath a Steel Sky?

Thanks!

Any update to when these items will be ported to the new RetroFW?
- ScummVM
- Video Player
- Mame4All

I'm wondering if the video player would work any better on RetroFW compared to previous firmwares? I couldn't get ANY video to play smoothly on the old firmware.

I have compiled ScummVM from here ...

https://github.com/steward-fu/rs97_src/tree/master/scummvm

It seems to work fine but only tried it with Beneth a Steel Sky

https://anonfile.com/61r80et6b1/scummvm_09022019_ipk

cocker

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 06:09:25 pm »
Thanks for doing this...  ScummVM runs, but I can't get the sound working correctly.  I'm trying to run Monkey Island and the sound is bunch of clicks and scratching sounds.  Any idea how to fix this?  Did the sound work correctly for you for Beneath a Steel Sky?

Thanks!

Switching the sound for some games to PC-Speaker seems to work but for Monkey Island it doesnt.

gameblabla is looking at this ...
http://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/my-ipk-builds-for-retrofw/msg184426/#msg184426

Jason01

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:10 am »
I'm excited there's more activity around this RetroFW firmware.  Is anyone looking into the reports of launching Emulators causing the system to hang until you restart your device?   Is anyone else besides me and R0ger running into this problem?

ChrisRR

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:34 am »
The above instructions confused me.  Let me give you the instructions that worked perfectly for me on my RS-97 3.0 device:
1. Download the RetroFW.rar file from the above website.
2. Unpack the RetroFW.rar file you downloaded.  I used 7-zip and I didn't have any problems unpacking the .rar file. 
3. When you unpack the RetroFW.rar file, you'll end up with a series of .bat files and a 500 MB .img file.
4. Run the .bat file for your device.  I ran the "RetroGame_v3.0_B.bat" file since I have a 3.0 device.  This caused the included 500 MB .img file to be patched for my 3.0 device.
5.  Burn the patched .img file to your device using your favorite method.  On my Windows PC, I used Etcher.
6. When I inserted the micro SD card back into my device and started it up, the screen told me it was expanding the file system (or something like that).

Was this using the internal SD or the external?
GPD XD+: CleanROM
GPD XD: LegacyROM, Dpad modded
RS-97: UselessFirmware
RS-90
Odroid Go, Audio hat
Pandora
nVidia Shield TV
Raspberry Pi w/ Retropie
GP2X
GP32

Jason01

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 01:35:14 am »
The above instructions confused me.  Let me give you the instructions that worked perfectly for me on my RS-97 3.0 device:
1. Download the RetroFW.rar file from the above website.
2. Unpack the RetroFW.rar file you downloaded.  I used 7-zip and I didn't have any problems unpacking the .rar file. 
3. When you unpack the RetroFW.rar file, you'll end up with a series of .bat files and a 500 MB .img file.
4. Run the .bat file for your device.  I ran the "RetroGame_v3.0_B.bat" file since I have a 3.0 device.  This caused the included 500 MB .img file to be patched for my 3.0 device.
5.  Burn the patched .img file to your device using your favorite method.  On my Windows PC, I used Etcher.
6. When I inserted the micro SD card back into my device and started it up, the screen told me it was expanding the file system (or something like that).

Was this using the internal SD or the external?

I did mine on the internal microSD card.  I use my external card for storing ROMs.. it lets me swap out the firmware without messing with my ROM collection.

Jason01

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:15 am »

Thanks!

Switching the sound for some games to PC-Speaker seems to work but for Monkey Island it doesnt.

gameblabla is looking at this ...
http://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/my-ipk-builds-for-retrofw/msg184426/#msg184426

Schweet... just downloaded gameblabla's ScummVM port..  it solved my sound issues..

Jason01

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:35 pm »
The Feb 10 update of gmenunx.ipk solved my issues with the emulators freezing up when you launch them, but introduced another bug.  When you have your menu skin settings to "Selection bar layout: Left" (or "Right"), the screen acts very strange when pressing the L and R buttons.  If you have your menu skin settings to something else, it works correctly.

pingflood

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2019, 01:44:30 am »
The Feb 10 update of gmenunx.ipk solved my issues with the emulators freezing up when you launch them, but introduced another bug.  When you have your menu skin settings to "Selection bar layout: Left" (or "Right"), the screen acts very strange when pressing the L and R buttons.  If you have your menu skin settings to something else, it works correctly.

Thanks for reporting. I'll take a look.

Edit: @Jason01, gmenu2x.ipk fixed. File available in the ipk repository:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14bgV9f_weOz0ZAy7WdRl4i5ItYGGViK3

Please test and report any issue you find.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:59:43 am by pingflood »

Jason01

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 02:37:42 am »
Yes, the updated gmenunx.ipk looks much better, thanks! 

Pingflood..  what's the difference between your version of PSCX4ALL and gameblabla's version of PSCX4ALL?  You guys both seem to be working on this emulator and releasing different versions.

Also, I'm interested in a port of the video player if you think it would run any better under the new RetroFW firmware..  it ran terrible under the old firmware.

pingflood

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:36 am »
Pingflood..  what's the difference between your version of PSCX4ALL and gameblabla's version of PSCX4ALL?  You guys both seem to be working on this emulator and releasing different versions.

gameblabla's version of pcsx4all uses his own patches and is supposedly better with HLE bios and game compatibility.
You better check his thread and discussion with Senor Quack, one of the main devs of pcsx4all for more depth infos:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/my-ipk-builds-for-retrofw/msg184448/#msg184448

And also you better test both versions and check which one you want to use.

naxeras

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2019, 04:28:29 pm »
?It is possible port this firmware to RS-07?

Regards.

pingflood

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »

We will do a proper RetroFW release for RetroArcade as soon as IPU supports 480x272px screen resolution.

ChrisRR

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2019, 09:56:06 pm »
So I haven't been following RS-97 development, does IPU mean hardware graphics support, so that there's more CPU time for emulation?
Basically, can I expect PSX to run faster using it?

Also, I assume this only works for JZ4760B versions of the RS-97.  Unfortunately I have a 2.0
GPD XD+: CleanROM
GPD XD: LegacyROM, Dpad modded
RS-97: UselessFirmware
RS-90
Odroid Go, Audio hat
Pandora
nVidia Shield TV
Raspberry Pi w/ Retropie
GP2X
GP32

idagani

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »

We will do a proper RetroFW release for RetroArcade as soon as IPU supports 480x272px screen resolution.

pingflood - would you be able to do a version for the pap k3 plus too when IPU will support 480X272 ?

Jason01

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2019, 11:31:49 pm »
Yes, the updated gmenunx.ipk looks much better, thanks! 

Also, I'm interested in a port of the video player if you think it would run any better under the new RetroFW firmware..  it ran terrible under the old firmware.

I'm still having problems with apps getting stuck when I launch them (even with the Feb 13 build of gmenux) on my RS-97 (v3).  I think it's related to CPU speed settings.  Here's how I can reproduce the steps:
1. Edit the link for Commander to have clock=600. 
2. Power off my and then power on the device.
3. Launch Commander, I get a message "Launching Commander" stuck on the screen.  Commander never launches. I have to reset my device.
4. Reset my device, and then edit the link for Commander to use the clock=528
5. Power off my device and power it back on and launch Commander, it launches with no problem. 

So, it seems that whenever I launch an app with clock=600 when I first power on my device, it locks up, but if I launch something with a lower clock speed first, it always launches just fine.  After I run a "slower" app, I can immediately launch a "faster" app and it runs without locking up.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic