Author Topic: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.2 released)  (Read 24459 times)

eltehero

Re: NERDS Kernel - RS-97 Custom kernel release (RetroFW 1.2 released)
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2019, 07:47:54 am »
A question from a noob only out of interest:
I find it very intreresting that people program for such a limited devices.
Is there any roadmap? And how far it is even possible to optimize this devices? When is the end reaches?
That's something i actually plan to make a post about, there's still a few ideas to improve performance.

senor quack dedicated psx emu dev for gcw zero, not really  for rs-97 who is gameblabla. With the latter handheld being a lot more powerful, the rs-97 version may be limited as to how far psx emulation goes, even though gameblabla has done amazing.

gameblabla

« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2019, 08:02:56 am »
senor quack dedicated psx emu dev for gcw zero, not really  for rs-97 who is gameblabla. With the latter handheld being a lot more powerful, the rs-97 version may be limited as to how far psx emulation goes, even though gameblabla has done amazing.
PCSX4ALL's RS97 code is directly based upon the GCW0 version. In fact, it is based upon the newer part4 mips recompiler which is faster than GCW0's stable version.
Of course though, there are still some improvements to be made : these are part of part5 as senquack said in details.

02k0

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2019, 08:44:10 pm »
All mother board except PLUS are supported !

Changes:
v3.0.0

IPU support (Thanks to GCW0's kernel team  :))
Added triple buffer support
Added VSYNC support

v1.0.1
Added held power button 10 seconds for force shutdown system (no more reset pin)

v1.0
Speed up boot process
Added backlight control( echo > 1 /proc/jz/backlight_control ) to disable
Recovered usb to pc
Added double buffer support

RetroFW V1.1

Rebuilt rootfs based on buildroot-2018.02.11
    Add OGG support
    exFAT support (experimental)
    Add Python + PyGame libraries
    Improved recovery mode
        Improved automatic SD card resizing
        Added file system check mode
    Fix power off bug in Kernel

RetroFW V1.2

Fix boot lag due to bad behaved FAT32 partition in some uSD Cards

Download link :
RetroFW v1.2
Do you intend to offer future support for custom firmware for the Dingoo A320? It looks like it has 3D acceleration.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk

gameblabla

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2019, 09:26:34 pm »
It looks like it has 3D acceleration.
That's a lot of crap, this thing is miserable : it has nothing.
If you want render 3D graphics on it, you need to do it all in software.
Just because you have 3D games like Quake doesn't mean it actually has 3D hardware acceleration.

Also, the Dingoo should be supported in the upstream kernel already i think. (it has support for the jz4740, not sure about the LCD screen)
But nobody owns these, this thing is dead and everyone moved on.

02k0

« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2019, 09:45:44 pm »
It looks like it has 3D acceleration.
That's a lot of crap, this thing is miserable : it has nothing.
If you want render 3D graphics on it, you need to do it all in software.
Just because you have 3D games like Quake doesn't mean it actually has 3D hardware acceleration.

Also, the Dingoo should be supported in the upstream kernel already i think. (it has support for the jz4740, not sure about the LCD screen)
But nobody owns these, this thing is dead and everyone moved on.
Poor Dingoo ... the bug just wanted to be happy, R.I.P.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk

blackz1982

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:39 am »
I own dingoo a320. The dingoo lived, is alive and will live. :-)

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

papapito

« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2019, 02:09:34 pm »
Tony, how about messing with the status leds?
Before a person would know the battery was about to go when the screen brightness automatically turned to the maximum setting. Now with the NERDS kernel there's no way of nowing if the handheld will turn itself off during gameplay. It should be rather trivial to put the green LED blinking when bettery is low, no?
We would then have the following status:
fixed green - powered on
fixed red - charging
blinking green - (critical) low battery

tonyjih (OP)

« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2019, 05:23:38 am »
Not possible without hardware modification

Tony, how about messing with the status leds?
Before a person would know the battery was about to go when the screen brightness automatically turned to the maximum setting. Now with the NERDS kernel there's no way of nowing if the handheld will turn itself off during gameplay. It should be rather trivial to put the green LED blinking when bettery is low, no?
We would then have the following status:
fixed green - powered on
fixed red - charging
blinking green - (critical) low battery

papapito

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2019, 06:01:40 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't aware the LEDs were hardwired.

adventureFAN

« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2019, 06:11:38 am »
Hello folks,

is there an option to "reset to factory default" RetroFW without flashing new?
I mean that all data will be wiped like a fresh flash.

And what is the max. MHz for the RS-97 3.0? Because it is the same CPU than the LDK (with max 700 MHz).
But on RetroFW the max. MHz is locked to 642 MHz. Or you notice something at all on 700 MHz (better FPS?).

(Because I want to play Golden Sun but the World Map is soooo slow)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:59:01 am by adventureFAN »
My Handhelds: PSP Vita, PSP (1000), New 3DS, NDS lite, GB SP (without Backlight), LCL GameBoy (RPI3A+ inside), GPD XD (non-Plus) and a RS-97 with RetroFW 1.2 (3.0).

Favorite: LCL GameBoy

ruffnutts

« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2019, 09:01:43 am »
You have to change the overclock settings in Gmenu to get your RS 97 up to 700Mhz

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

v47

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:14 am »
Hey, two quick questions - I assume v1.0_s (2018 6.21.) boards are fully supported, and any step-by-step install guides? There were some stickied awhile ago, but they seem to be gone now.

Thanks.

adventureFAN

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2019, 01:20:09 pm »
TonyJih have done a great job with RetroFW and emulators but this is really childish.
What is the meaning of this? Why really TonyJih don't want to work with you together? Is there history between you two? Or why he refuse you to give the source code?

The Dingoonity community have to stick together and not against each other.

Please TonyJih... when you read this: Shake hands and make up.
I think gameblabla only whats to help to bring the RetroFW further. Like yourself.
My Handhelds: PSP Vita, PSP (1000), New 3DS, NDS lite, GB SP (without Backlight), LCL GameBoy (RPI3A+ inside), GPD XD (non-Plus) and a RS-97 with RetroFW 1.2 (3.0).

Favorite: LCL GameBoy

cloudstr

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2019, 02:15:54 pm »
So apart from (potentially) missing a good GBA emu, other emus are still in active development and huge improvement will be seen in the future. It's sad, but not a big loss.

If there is money involved, then we can probably donate some funds to TonyJih for the release of source code. @tonyjih, we are waiting for words from you. 

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2019, 03:43:16 pm »
What's done is done just don't make it worse as long as i am a moderator of this board i will moderate it the post was inappropriate its a personal matter not for here.

tonyjih (OP)

« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »
I can't share the kernel source code from RG team because there are some proprietary code that don't belong to me.
I got it as a favor and under a NDA just to try to improve the device for everyone.

The ReGBA source code I was working was planned to be release in the future. There was some work in progress on it.
But since sauce is making such a BIG mess everywhere,  I have no choice but removing ReGBA's binary to keep it under GPL v2.

The original ReGBA source code still available here: https://github.com/nebuleon/ReGBA/
So there's no need for such drama. It's just a matter of anyone willing to pick it up and do the work.

Thanks for understanding.

So apart from (potentially) missing a good GBA emu, other emus are still in active development and huge improvement will be seen in the future. It's sad, but not a big loss.

If there is money involved, then we can probably donate some funds to TonyJih for the release of source code. @tonyjih, we are waiting for words from you.

gameblabla

« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
I can't share the kernel source code from RG team because there are some proprietary code that don't belong to me.
I got it as a favor and under a NDA just to try to improve the device for everyone.
The ReGBA source code I was working was planned to be release in the future. There was some work in progress on it.
But since sauce is making such a BIG mess everywhere,  I have no choice but removing ReGBA's binary to keep it under GPL v2.

The original ReGBA source code still available here: https://github.com/nebuleon/ReGBA/
So there's no need for such drama. It's just a matter of anyone willing to pick it up and do the work.
It's a lie, the GPLv2 doesn't say you must remove the binary.
What i was asking for was for your modifications to reGBA, nothing else.
GPLv2 says that you must release your changes to the source code, in human readable form. Everyone knows that.
Why is it so hard to comply ? Why tell lies ?

I made absolutely no mess about it, it is you guys who made a mess about it. All i was asking was for the source code (i did not insist you on it, i was just talking to someone else about it), much like i share the source code for PCSX4ALL, sms plus gx etc...
After i had asked about the source code, you had decided to react this way by removing the binary.
I had never asked for that, it is a scorched earth tactic.

EDIT: As for kernel source code, yes, the IPU code is an under NDA. But i never asked for it. it has nothing to do with that or the issue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 05:14:56 pm by gameblabla »

tonyjih (OP)

« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2019, 05:00:21 pm »
If you think it a lie, then it is

I don't care.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic