Author Topic: RS-97 Custom Firmware v1.2 Emulator Guide (Stable, Unstable, Not Working)  (Read 28734 times)

Princebatman (OP)

FBA need to be fba 0.2.97.35 Romset and in .zip format

Do you know which emulator is best?  I have 3 fba icons a320, zero, and another...

How does it perform and how is the button mapping? 

kapster

PS: The updated and corrected scalers for FCEUX work great :) get them at Steward's binary repository at github if you wanna fix your version of FCEUX

Did you just swap the binary, or are other files needed?

Smakx

Finalburn Alpha (GCW0) is a fantastic emulator and the star of the show imo. FBA(GCW0) runs NeoGeo, CPS1/2, and many other arcade roms perfectly. I have been copying roms to test from my retropie setup and so far have had near 100% compatibility. I am not testing all roms, just ones I am interested in, and the classics. When I am done I will upload a list of roms confirmed to be running full speed here and in the discord.

FBA requires a little bit of simple setup, here are some tips:

1. Hit start from the fba menu and select rom paths. Pick an empty rom path slot and a file browser pops up, browse to where your arcade roms are and hit the start button to set the path to the roms. I have my NeoGeo roms in a separate folder, so I set up a second path to those.

2. Hit start from the fba menu and select filter options, set this to "Available Only" so that your game list only shows the roms that you have and isn't 20 miles long. You can advance through your game list a page at a time with the shoulder buttons.

3. Some games that had vertical screens will start vertically on your device (sideways). This can be great for games like pacman and frogger that don't use any buttons - the dpad magically adjusts to the sideways screen position. Alternately after selecting a game, in the pre-launch menu there is an option to rotate these games so that they run normally - the system retains this setting per game.

4. To exit back to the fba menu from within a game, hold both shoulders and hit start.

5. When testing roms, a bad or incompatible rom will sometimes cause crashes back to the system menu with the system locked up. If this happens you can reset the system with a toothpick, paperclip, pin, etc through a small hole in the lower right bottom of the system. This is easier than removing the battery. Once a list of compatible roms has been established this should cease to be an issue.

As stated earlier I plan to upload a list of arcade games verified working with fba(gcw0) sometime this weekend. By default you can assume all Neo Geo and Capcom CPS 1 & 2 games to be working. Hope some of this info is helpful to someone.

Thanks again to everyone involved in the development of these software packages and the support of this device and the surrounding "scene", you guys are awesome.

Edit: Here is a link to post with the FBA working rom list attached:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/rs-97-custom-firmware-v1-2-emulator-guide-(stable-unstable-not-working)/msg175922/#msg175922
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:14:50 pm by Smakx »

Princebatman (OP)

Finalburn Alpha (GCW0) is a fantastic emulator and the star of the show imo. FBA(GCW0) runs NeoGeo, CPS1/2, and many other arcade roms perfectly. I have been copying roms to test from my retropie setup and so far have had near 100% compatibility. I am not testing all roms, just ones I am interested in, and the classics. When I am done I will upload a list of roms confirmed to be running full speed here and in the discord.

FBA requires a little bit of simple setup, here are some tips:

1. Hit start from the fba menu and select rom paths. Pick an empty rom path slot and a file browser pops up, browse to where your arcade roms are and hit the start button to set the path to the roms. I have my NeoGeo roms in a separate folder, so I set up a second path to those.

2. Hit start from the fba menu and select filter options, set this to "Available Only" so that your game list only shows the roms that you have and isn't 20 miles long. You can advance through your game list a page at a time with the shoulder buttons.

3. Some games that had vertical screens will start vertically on your device (sideways). This can be great for games like pacman and frogger that don't use any buttons - the dpad magically adjusts to the sideways screen position. Alternately after selecting a game, in the pre-launch menu there is an option to rotate these games so that they run normally - the system retains this setting per game.

4. To exit back to the fba menu from within a game, hold both shoulders and hit start.

5. When testing roms, a bad or incompatible rom will sometimes cause crashes back to the system menu with the system locked up. If this happens you can reset the system with a toothpick, paperclip, pin, etc through a small hole in the lower right bottom of the system. This is easier than removing the battery. Once a list of compatible roms has been established this should cease to be an issue.

As stated earlier I plan to upload a list of arcade games verified working with fba(gcw0) sometime this weekend. By default you can assume all Neo Geo and Capcom CPS 1 & 2 games to be working. Hope some of this info is helpful to someone.

Thanks again to everyone involved in the development of these software packages and the support of this device and the surrounding "scene", you guys are awesome.

That's very helpful and I got it working.  Games are playing really well and button mapping is correct.  While testing... I have to admit that I needed to reset the system a good 5 times.  A list of working games would be much appreciated!

tackro

There a few games that have a better performance on FBA(A320), Armed Police Battrider as example.
SMS 120fps came back to 60fps after some seconds
Vice is a little trickier to start some games and to make work keymaped buttons, but have a good performance, only some sound sttuters
And, about MSX, where do you put the roms? I can't make this work D:

Steward

• Steward's tutorial website
1. Handy320 has been updated, kindly help to test it and update result in Page-1
2. New emulator: DCastaway has been ported to RetroGame, kindly help to test it and add to Page-1
https://github.com/steward-fu/gh_retrogame_binary

Steward Fu

Princebatman (OP)

1. Handy320 has been updated, kindly help to test it and update result in Page-1
2. New emulator: DCastaway has been ported to RetroGame, kindly help to test it and add to Page-1
https://github.com/steward-fu/gh_retrogame_binary

Thanks Steward!  I will try to test soon. If anyone else can test and report on these two I can update the info. @jutley @jaZz_KCS @tackro @anyone :)

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
I have tried handy and dcastaway they both work but they wont work from the gmenu2x homescreen you will have to use xplorer and find the files and start from there.

van denhawk

Good work. Mame is one of the main emu's on any retro handheld and should be on the list.

It would be a very good idea to get the mame4all great Slaanesh on board if he is interested in the device. He is currently working on mame for various handhelds.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:06:56 pm by van denhawk »

Princebatman (OP)

I have tried handy and dcastaway they both work but they wont work from the gmenu2x homescreen you will have to use xplorer and find the files and start from there.

Thanks!
I'll try to find some time to test.  Any comments on how handy is as far as the loud crackling sound and it being choppy.  Has that improved.  And are the buttons set up correctly?

Princebatman (OP)

Good work. Mame is one of the main emu's on any retro handheld and should be on the list.

Has it been tested? and if so how does it perform?

It would be a very good idea to get the mame4all great Slaanesh on board if he is interested in the device. He has ported and updated mame on various handhelds.

I read some comments about mame4all in the main post or for kiii plus.  Not sure who posted, but I think I read that it was in the works? @slaanesh

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90

Thanks!
I'll try to find some time to test.  Any comments on how handy is as far as the loud crackling sound and it being choppy.  Has that improved.  And are the buttons set up correctly?

On the atari st games play ok but controls are messed up tried to play vroom and the car just kept going left can?t adjust controls eiether. As for handy sounds really messed up at the moment one problem i am facing and have told Steward is that all these new releases when adding them to gmenu2x they do not start from menu. you will have to load explorer and start them that way.

Princebatman (OP)

Thanks!

On the atari st games play ok but controls are messed up tried to play vroom and the car just kept going left can?t adjust controls eiether. As for handy sounds really messed up at the moment one problem i am facing and have told Steward is that all these new releases when adding them to gmenu2x they do not start from menu. you will have to load explorer and start them that way.

Thanks for reporting back.  So it seems like not much has changed as far as handy?  unless you have any comments that I should add to that... and I can add Atari St into the unstable category for now, until we can get the controls figured out.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
Ok tested again Reminiscence running perfect though this is a game not emulator handy has loud sound but works fine.Now dcastaway works great controls are fine many games run must be zipped or unzipped in the ST format to run just select game then run.You have trigger buttons that call the mouse and keyboar.The only thing i noticed intro sound on games is a bit messed up but in game sound is fine but great emulator.Sorry you can add dcastaway to stable list runs fine with handy is just the sound for me too loud and muffled.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
Handy emulator keys menu+backlight will exit emulator & menu+L button will bring up the menu. Sound is too loud.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
Handy emulator keys menu+backlight will exit emulator & menu+L button will bring up the menu where you ca swap the buttons but Sound is still too loud.

Princebatman (OP)

Handy emulator keys menu+backlight will exit emulator & menu+L button will bring up the menu. Sound is too loud.

Thanks, I'm trying to test myself.  I have the binary folder on my internal sd card.  I go to explorer and try to launch the run.dge

What am I doing wrong?  Could you help me a bit?

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
Okay new section added on my site on the megaupload downloads i have added a beta_testing section i will upload the latest beta games emulators and apps here so people can report and then post your results here Steward then can see the results makes it easy for everyone.The dates will be next to each emulator as when i pulled it from Stewards github so its the latest.

http://bit.ly/2HtE77d

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90

Thanks, I'm trying to test myself.  I have the binary folder on my internal sd card.  I go to explorer and try to launch the run.dge

What am I doing wrong?  Could you help me a bit?

click on handy320

Post a new topic