Author Topic: [release] RS-07 Official Firmware Mod  (Read 1587 times)

Nikojiro (OP)

[release] RS-07 Official Firmware Mod
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:03:33 pm »
Hi,

CFW offering for the RS-07 is building up, but the current state of it, particularly the inability to run arcade games fullscreen and the absence of Genesis emulation, are show stoppers for me. For the time being that is, as I have no doubts that CFW will get better with time and the efforts of talented developers.

So I made an attempt at delivering a couple of quality of life improvements to the official firmware, with the base idea of moving ROM storage to the external SD and keeping the system on a smaller internal SD card. Hence I recommend flashing the system to a 4Gb SD card and keeping the stock 16Gb card for ROM storage.

The enhancements are:

- reworked emulator selection screen to add more systems (CPS, FBA, NeoGeo)
- Master System emulator (already present  in the FW but not exposed, probably due to minor issues listed below)
- selective overclocking for emulators
- Added a shutdown and a reboot command to the settings, as electrically shutting down the device is prone to corrupting the SD card (I personally encountered this issue)
- enhanced translations (english and french)
- an optional romset for the external SD
- a couple more wallpapers

A big thumbs up to SPYCOS23 from http://www.open-consoles.com
 for testing my first beta image!
   ;D

Installation procedure:

IMPORTANT : please check that your RS-07 is a v1.3 hardware revision, I don't yet have system dump for v 1.1

• 1. Take a look at this video clip for taking apart the unit
  • 2. Download and install Etcher
  • 3. Optionally I recommend downloading JDownloader to manage the downloads
  • 4. Open this Google Drive shared folder: retromini
  • 5. Download the internal SD card image file (rs07-ofw13-mod-20181213.img.gz)
  • 6. Flash rs07-ofw13-mod-20181213.img.gz to the internal SD card, using Etcher
  • 7. Download the split archive for the romset (rs-07-mmc.7z.001 to rs-07-mmc.7z.024)
  • 8. Format the external microSD card to FAT32 (a simple format from Windows Explorer will do, as FAT32 is the default for storage up to 32 GB)
  • 9. Uncompress rs-07-mmc.7z.001 to the root of the external card
  • 10. Put back both microSD cards in the unit and put it back together.

Known issues

The Master System has a few minor issues. I presume this is why it was not exposed, but I think these are pretty minor.

- the emu doesn't detect controls on the first run. So you have tu run it one, load up a rom, and the shut down the unit with the power button.
- A and B buttons are inverted in the emulator menu (i.e. B validates, A cancels)
- when exiting the menu, the emulation speed goes up for 2-3 seconds, then goes back to normal.

Also I have kept only english, french and chinese languages, but it's pretty easy to add more languages to next releases (I use a template for the menu configuration along with localized text files). Let me know if you want a specific language added!

Important disclaimer

My mod boils down to:

- editing DMenu configuration files
- editing some emulators configuration files (FBA and GBA as of now)
- edit the original firmware binary image (resizing, cleaning up unused resources such as scripts, icons, etc... to free up a bit of space, and replace some built-in roms in chines by their US release)
- building a romset (converting formats fro mzip to FBA cache when needed, for FBA and NeoGeo)

I set up a GitLab project if you want to peek at it: https://gitlab.com/nicosensei/retro-arcade-mini-ofw-mod

All of this implies that I have NOT touched up any emulator code, so don't expect any major change to emulation quality, I only applied some overclocking. Again, this firmware is intended as a quality of life improvement to the stock firmware, not as a fully fledged CFW.

Feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:15:56 pm by Nikojiro »

odjinan

Re: [release] RS-07 Official Firmware Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:50:11 pm »
merci!

I will test its shortly ;)  (probably tomorrow)

Lautoine

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:04 am »
 :) Merci ! from France  8) will test it tonight

Is it still the original FBA version inside ' nxu.dge ?

I'm kind of newbie in Linux but i've tried to compile some source of FBA, if someone want to try ...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11BYJDd1u4qO_qz4S2G8xWrfaRQgOpd7O?usp=sharing

"black screen for a few seconds and return to os  CFW and OFW ::)"

GitHub
dmitrysmagin/fba-sdl
Final Burn Alpha 0.2.97.35 for GCW-Zero (derived from http://www.kja.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fbasdl.zip) - dmitrysmagin/fba-sdl

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:18:02 am »
:) Merci ! from France  8) will test it tonight

You're welcome!

Is it still the original FBA version inside ' nxu.dge ?

I don't know unfortunately. I'd especially like to know what FBA romset shoudl be used. It took me a hell of a lot of trial and error to get a working romset.

Lautoine

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 10:54:11 am »
For the moment I've got zero wing (toaplan) , hell fire, and sailor moon working, Wilfang (bad resolution ) and some other

I use this .Dat with romcenter, apparently it's an old release ( nxu.dge )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUjWf4ZyDhyZ8n_Rl--pOeXZrEoM1RRK/view?usp=sharing

The original emulator nxu.dge (FBA) is missing the vsync option, u can see that when u play king of dragons cps1, maybe in Dmenu it will better to launch the emulator with a script ( nxu.sh ) and add a few parameter

I've tried also to compile 2 versions of FBA , but all I got is a black screen a few seconds and a return the os

if someone want to try :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11BYJDd1u4qO_qz4S2G8xWrfaRQgOpd7O?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:22:10 am by Lautoine »

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:08 am »
Thanks for the DAT file, that's useful!

When compiling, which toolchain did you use? IMHO it would not be worth your time to compile emus for the stock firmware, it would be better invested with the CFW.

A few weeks ago I've asked for some pointersfrom gameblabla and he was kind enough to give me enough directions to get started. I've had a look at Picodrive, but I'm afraid it's over my head, or I'd need a very long time to make significant progress, which I can't afford. I'm a Java developer, this is like an alien world to me I have to admit  ::)

So since I wanted to have something usable so I could gift some RS-07 for Christmas, I set up this little mod. I'm currently looking into testing some Dingoo emulators, I've seen a Youtube user called JL who also did a lot of testing and compiling roms for the RS-07 : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw1s20km0XAr0xE92esjR5A/videos

Right now there's GpSP and FCEUX running really well, and I'm looking into Picodrive also.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:13:30 am by Nikojiro »

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:37 am »
<deleted>

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:50 am »
<deleted>

odjinan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
tested shortly, and its working great!    the original interface is still ugly (gxmenu, pixel pymenu are so much better). but the full screen emu and the genesis/ megadrive are worth it!
Not sure if its possible, could you add the other emulator from blahblah cfw? (atari, wonderswan, gamegear...)

will test it a bit more this week end~

naxeras

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 09:47:03 am »
Is not possible add pymenu to OFW?

Regards.

ace9094

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:17:25 pm »
Is it possible to incorperate this idea I had into Stock FW ?

Hypergif Hyperspin for low spec devices ? This is one I done for the RS-97, but I could convert them to fit the RS-07 as test.

This is a version for RS-07 - The only potential issue is the GIF is 1.3MB in size

LINK to MP4 -
https://mega.nz/#!aJRGBaDY!zNxe2moHQciqkBL5oQRqzNnzv1DXJz7Tsx6meya83Tc

The idea is to link the GIF or an MP4 to the ROM (somehow, but I have no idea how) instead of a list of ROMS

Here is my original thread
http://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/artwork-preview-project/msg183379/#msg183379

What do you think ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:31:35 pm by ace9094 »
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Jack83

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 08:59:29 am »

Regards.

I someone compiles Pyton 2.7 for OFW, pymenu would work

naxeras

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 10:22:19 am »

Regards.

I someone compiles Pyton 2.7 for OFW, pymenu would work

Is not possible use the same python for cfw?

Python for dingoo are not binary compatible?

Regards.

Nikojiro (OP)

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 10:47:05 pm »
Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

@ace9094 I'm afraid that's not possible. The stock FW uses Dmenu as frontend. I don't think it's even possible to use previews at all.

As for developing anything for that FW I believe it would be a waste of time. My mod only tries to make small improvements, and I don't plan to develop anything for it. So far there are 2 third party emulators, gpSp and fceux for which compatible versions have been found by JL on YouTube.

odjinan

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:55:50 am »
hi,

thanks again for this mod, a real pleasure to play those megadrive ;)

so we just need to add gpSp and fceux?

RetroFreakPc

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 09:34:24 pm »
 Is there any chance of getting out the megadrive emulator to use it in other firms?

ace9094

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »
@ace9094 I'm afraid that's not possible. The stock FW uses Dmenu as frontend. I don't think it's even possible to use previews at all.

If someone compiles Pyton 2.7 for OFW, pymenu would work

Oh well, nevermind... Thanks for replying though... Jack has something similar running on PyMenu, Maybe if Python 2.7 gets compiled for OFW then animated previews may happen one day on OFW :)
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

applehk

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »
The biggest problem for me on official firmware is that the screen will be in max brightness when running the games. THe brightness setting is only effective within the main menu. The screen is too bright for playing game esp. at night.

May I know this firmware mod handled this issue?

Thanks so much.

ahahah

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 10:38:57 pm »
The biggest problem for me on official firmware is that the screen will be in max brightness when running the games. THe brightness setting is only effective within the main menu. The screen is too bright for playing game esp. at night.

May I know this firmware mod handled this issue?

Thanks so much.

max brightness yes and max sound volume too. the volume button sets the volume very badly, it seems there is only 2 positions: max and mute lol  ;D

Post a new topic
Post a new topic