CFW offering for the RS-07 is building up, but the current state of it, particularly the inability to run arcade games fullscreen and the absence of Genesis emulation, are show stoppers for me. For the time being that is, as I have no doubts that CFW will get better with time and the efforts of talented developers.
So I made an attempt at delivering a couple of quality of life improvements to the official firmware, with the base idea of moving ROM storage to the external SD and keeping the system on a smaller internal SD card. Hence I recommend flashing the system to a 4Gb SD card and keeping the stock 16Gb card for ROM storage.
The enhancements are:- reworked emulator selection screen to add more systems (CPS, FBA, NeoGeo)
- Master System emulator (already present in the FW but not exposed, probably due to minor issues listed below)
- selective overclocking for emulators
- Added a shutdown and a reboot command to the settings, as electrically shutting down the device is prone to corrupting the SD card (I personally encountered this issue)
- enhanced translations (english and french)
- an optional romset for the external SD
- a couple more wallpapersA big thumbs up to SPYCOS23 from http://www.open-consoles.com
for testing my first beta image! Installation procedure:IMPORTANT : please check that your RS-07 is a v1.3 hardware revision, I don't yet have system dump for v 1.1
- 1. Take a look at this video clip for taking apart the unit
- 2. Download and install Etcher
- 3. Optionally I recommend downloading JDownloader to manage the downloads
- 4. Open this Google Drive shared folder: retromini
- 5. Download the internal SD card image file (rs07-ofw13-mod-20181213.img.gz)
- 6. Flash rs07-ofw13-mod-20181213.img.gz to the internal SD card, using Etcher
- 7. Download the split archive for the romset (rs-07-mmc.7z.001 to rs-07-mmc.7z.024)
- 8. Format the external microSD card to FAT32 (a simple format from Windows Explorer will do, as FAT32 is the default for storage up to 32 GB)
- 9. Uncompress rs-07-mmc.7z.001 to the root of the external card
- 10. Put back both microSD cards in the unit and put it back together.
The Master System has a few minor issues. I presume this is why it was not exposed, but I think these are pretty minor.
- the emu doesn't detect controls on the first run. So you have tu run it one, load up a rom, and the shut down the unit with the power button.
- A and B buttons are inverted in the emulator menu (i.e.
B validates, A cancels)
- when exiting the menu, the emulation speed goes up for 2-3 seconds, then goes back to normal.
Also I have kept only english, french and chinese languages, but it's pretty easy to add more languages to next releases (I use a template for the menu configuration along with localized text files). Let me know if you want a specific language added!Important disclaimer
My mod boils down to:
- editing DMenu configuration files
- editing some emulators configuration files (FBA and GBA as of now)
- edit the original firmware binary image (resizing, cleaning up unused resources such as scripts, icons, etc... to free up a bit of space, and replace some built-in roms in chines by their US release)
- building a romset (converting formats fro mzip to FBA cache when needed, for FBA and NeoGeo)
I set up a GitLab project if you want to peek at it: https://gitlab.com/nicosensei/retro-arcade-mini-ofw-mod
All of this implies that I have NOT touched up any emulator code, so don't expect any major change to emulation quality, I only applied some overclocking. Again, this firmware is intended as a quality of life improvement to the stock firmware, not as a fully fledged CFW.
Feedback is welcome!