Author Topic: Ritmix RZX-50 Custom Firmware Download with install instructions.  (Read 9450 times)

Retro DX

• Retro DX Facebook Group
Re: Ritmix RZX-50 Custom Firmware Download with install instructions.
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 09:11:56 pm »
Probably the later :) since one worked for me the other got bricked.

Is it possible to un-brick these devices?

Long story short, I was given one of these by a friend who I think attempted the early firmware update, and it didn't turn out well.  The device powers on but just sits on the Ritmix logo and does nothing else at all.  I have tried many things to get it to boot but nothing makes a difference.  I'm guessing this is the characteristics of a bricked unit?

I managed to find the USBBootTool to hopefully re-flash the unit, but I just can't get it into a USB mode for the flasher tool to see it.

Conscious this is my first post, and I'm already asking for help, but I have looked through the Forum and can't find anything that describes this issue.

Any help would be awesome - thank you.

VanZan

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2020, 01:28:12 am »
It's probably the garbage stock micro sd card that the firmware runs off. Simply get a decent micro sd, write the firmware to it, open the device and replace the shit card.

But taking the device apart is a pain in the arse though. When you put it back together and if it doesn't turn on press the reset button.

Retro DX

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

I did a load of research prior to posing here and had already seen that the supplied SD card is often the primary point of failure.  Because of that I have been working with a 16Gb Sandisk (Class 10) and have tried the following;

1) Created a disk image (.img) from the original SD card and written it to the Sandisk.  This included a FAT32 partition for the games etc, and several other partitions (presumably linux). 
2) Completely formatted the Sandisk SD as FAT32 and written the FW files to the root (rootfs, uimage, appfs) etc.
3) Reset the device after each attempt of the above and other variations of file config.

All steps lead to the same end result, ie Ritmix logo on the screen and nothing else.

If anyone could share a copy of their disk image, that might help.  I'll also try another brand of SD card and see how that goes.

Any other thoughts or ideas are welcomed.
Thanks!

VanZan

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2020, 07:03:27 pm »
Ah I see Jutley's took down the custom firmware download link in the first post. I'll try and find it somewhere else.

Here we go try this:
https://ozgur.kazancci.com/jutleys/20-Ritmix%20RZX-50/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:05:48 pm by VanZan »

Retro DX

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:16 am »
Thanks again for your continued help on this one, but it's only possible to install that FW if you have an operational system to start with.

At this point in in time my unit does not boot, therefore i need to go back to basics and find a backup image of a functional internal SD card.

I think Jutley took the original post down after it was found to brick some devices and I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my unit used that FW and caused these issues I'm having.  It's for that reason I posted on this thread rather than starting a new one...

I've been trawling Russian websites to try and find a stock .img file but so far no joy.

blackz1982

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2020, 01:52:16 pm »
Thanks again for your continued help on this one, but it's only possible to install that FW if you have an operational system to start with.

At this point in in time my unit does not boot, therefore i need to go back to basics and find a backup image of a functional internal SD card.

I think Jutley took the original post down after it was found to brick some devices and I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my unit used that FW and caused these issues I'm having.  It's for that reason I posted on this thread rather than starting a new one...

I've been trawling Russian websites to try and find a stock .img file but so far no joy.
May be there https://cloud.mail.ru/public/biQ7/bk7CZFFc4

Отправлено с моего HRY-LX1 через Tapatalk

VanZan

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2020, 03:13:04 pm »

Apolgies I foolishly didn't look at the file size.

I found this on my Google Drive:
removed

I put it there so long ago I can't be sure what it is but it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:56:14 pm by VanZan »

Retro DX

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2020, 11:22:52 pm »
A massive thank you to VanZan and blackz1982, your help and your files have saved both my sanity and my RZX-50!  A fresh system image was exactly what I needed to get the thing booting, so now on to some CFW upgrades to see what it can do.

Guys, I can?t thank you enough, seriously!