Author Topic: Rise Of The Triad RS97 Port  (Read 1803 times)

dinosaw_act (OP)

Rise Of The Triad RS97 Port
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:44 am »
Initial port of Rise Of The Triad version 1.1.2 from https://icculus.org/rott/

Be gentle as this hasn't been massively tested. I'm rubbish at first person shooters. :)

D-pad does cursors, A is select and B is back. X open doors, Start changes weapon and Select pops up the menu in game. You can remap other controls in game.

Known Issues:

- Credits screen now skipped on start-up as it was causing a crash.

History

v0.03

- Disabled credits screen as this was causing a crash,
- Some in game screens and cut scenes were not being displayed - noticeable in the full version after selecting your player and difficulty level where you were left with a blank screen that you had to press a button to skip.

v0.02

- Added full version (rott) and shareware version (rott_sw). Full version needs DARKWAD files which are not included.
- Added .png icon from the Dingo port by ingood.

v0.01

- Initial release.

Download from:

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rs97/rott061818.7z
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:38:40 pm by dinosaw_act »

HercTNT

Re: Rise Of The Triad RS97 Port
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:00:41 pm »
Thank you so much. your continued support is greatly appreciated.

HercTNT

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:59 pm »
Would love strife port.

you sir read my mind. was trying to get it running under chocolate doom with no luck.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:48 pm »
I have been enjoying it on my GCW but it wont be long till we have it for rs97.

chris67

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:33:58 am »
Wow, thanks a lot Dinosaw, this was an amazing game at the time. Really appreciate your effort. Did you compile the game under linux or cygwin ? What toolchain did you use ? Thanks again.

dinosaw_act (OP)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:37:33 am »
Wow, thanks a lot Dinosaw, this was an amazing game at the time. Really appreciate your effort. Did you compile the game under linux or cygwin ? What toolchain did you use ? Thanks again.

I use Ubuntu Mate as my main OS. First step was to get the code working on my computer. Once I'd got it compiled for Linux, I then changed the makefile to point to the RS97 toolchain (gcc, sdl-config etc.) and compiled a version for the RS97. This ran but looked like your player had taken psychedelic drugs as the colours were completely scrambled - ROTT assumes a 256 colour screen whereas the RS97 uses 16bit colour.

I then changed my Linux version to initialise SDL like the RS97 does and got that to work with 16bit colour. I find it easier to work on the code on my PC than having to do the back and forwards to get it on the RS97 and try it on there. I also modified the drawing code as ROTT runs at 320 x 200 whereas the RS97 has a resolution of 320 x 480. As the original y resolution doubled up fits inside the RS97 screen I just doubled the lines to fill the screen.

You can create the RS97 toolchain by following the instructions at:

https://github.com/steward-fu/gh_retrogame_buildroot

chris67

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:11 am »
Thanks a lot Dinosaw for your reply ! What you say is much interesting. I just recently found a very nice tutorial for RS97 toolchain installation : https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/rs-97-developers-toolchain-setup/new/#new. I hope other people will be interested in. Thank you very much again.

dinosaw_act (OP)

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:35:58 am »
Added an updated version (see link in first post) which now includes both the shareware and full version of the game code. You can remap the controls in game to the RS97 buttons so I've removed that from the list of known issues.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 03:27:28 pm »
The GoG version, and the file is all caps, once I installed using their installer. DARKWAR.WADT But same issue with rott on the RS-97....  It crashes when you start a game
On PC it launches in DOSBox, and looks identical to shareware release, still has ordering info for some reason, but it IS the full version. I'm sure of it
So, basically, the full version executable "rott" isn't working properly, but the shareware "rott_sw" runs just fine

dinosaw_act (OP)

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
Working here with the following set of files:

Code: [Select]
  162646 Dec 24  1996 darkwar.rtc
  408100 Dec 24  1996 darkwar.rtl
14610173 Dec 24  1996 darkwar.wad
  110484 Dec 24  1996 remote1.rts

Select New Game, choose your player and then the difficulty level. Screen goes black (shareware version doesn't seem to have this issue) but you just need to press a button and the loading progress screen displays and then it goes in game.

Where is it crashing for you?

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 04:54:06 pm »
Thanks will try again

Update thanks we got it working.

dinosaw_act (OP)

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »
Updated version now available in first post which stops a crash when you enter the credits screen on start-up and fixes cut scenes and some graphic effects not being rendered correctly.

sinplague

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 08:45:07 pm »
You think is possible to port the videogame Wacky Wheels ?
It could be amazing.

JohnnyLaLoca

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 03:17:35 pm »
Initial port of Rise Of The Triad version 1.1.2 from https://icculus.org/rott/

Be gentle as this hasn't been massively tested. I'm rubbish at first person shooters. :)

D-pad does cursors, A is select and B is back. X open doors, Start changes weapon and Select pops up the menu in game. You can remap other controls in game.

Known Issues:

- Credits screen now skipped on start-up as it was causing a crash.

History

v0.03

- Disabled credits screen as this was causing a crash,
- Some in game screens and cut scenes were not being displayed - noticeable in the full version after selecting your player and difficulty level where you were left with a blank screen that you had to press a button to skip.

v0.02

- Added full version (rott) and shareware version (rott_sw). Full version needs DARKWAD files which are not included.
- Added .png icon from the Dingo port by ingood.

v0.01

- Initial release.

Download from:

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rs97/rott061818.7z

Hi there dinosaw_act! Thanks for the effort and the port!

I have an issue though. I don't get any music playing and it really adds to the experience. Is there any tweak or direction I should take to fix it?

Thanks again!

dinosaw_act (OP)

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40:37 pm »
I don't know why the music doesn't play. I originally built the source code on my Linux PC and I get the fanfare music on the Apogee splash screen with that version. There does seem to be some sound effects in the menus and in game which tells me the sound code isn't completely broken.

I suspect the music requires some SDL functionality that may not be present in the RS97 implementation of it or that there's some compilation option missing from the sound library code that ROTT uses which might get it going.

gameblabla

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
MIDI playback requires Timidity to work with SDL_mixer. However, it's a bit tricky to set up and we don't have Timidity installed.
Maybe it's something i'll get around to. Btw for OGG music playback, there was indeed an issue with the older firmware where it could not playback those. Only with extensive patches to SDL_mixer did the bug go away.

Post a new topic