Author Topic: RG300 Battery Adapter  (Read 4869 times)

Zereth (OP)

RG300 Battery Adapter
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:25:49 pm »
Hi all.

My first post over here, don't be harsh  :P

Well, I guess we all know the RG300 has, say, a nonstandar battery. But Nokia BL-5Cs are quite standard and cheap, and their contacts match those of the RG300 battery connector. But those are way smaller than the provided battery.

So I 3D printed an adapter shaped like a scaled up version of an SD card to put the BL-5C battery inside and power the RG300 with it...

I even printed a funny sticker; my 2D printer wouldn't cooperate, it was intended to be orange but it looks radioactive. Funny because of the Nisu brand (bootleg branding, "ni su madre los conoce" like "not even their mother knows about them"). Anyway, I could have cut it from EVA foam, even cardboard, but those options gave me the creeps. Maybe someone around here will just do that. I tried several models and settings, I ended up removing the clip piece so it's just a tight fit kept in place by the... springyness... is that a word? Not a native English speaker, sorry. Well, the pressure of the contacts in the RG300 against those in the battery keep this thing in place just nicely. And the angle cutout has a slope to take it out using a fingetip. Oh, I had to make two recessed slots for the battery lid. That's... mostly it.

If anyone wants the size of each part or the 3D printer config, just drop me a line. I'm really not into Thingiverse, but if anyone wants the STL file I can share it too, we'll find a way.

And while we're at it, does anyone know how to use pixel-perfect 2x scaling in any GBA emulator (RG300)?
I got the IPS screen, it's indeed 480x320 and all I want is sharp, big pixels for my GBA games.

Cheerz!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:30:04 pm by Zereth »

chipbutty

Re: RG300 Battery Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:35:52 pm »
This is brilliant. I put one of these BL-5C batteries in my RG300 today to see how much padding I would need to keep it secure. I know nothing about 3D printers but if I had one I'd certainly make one of these. Well done.

chevette

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:46:12 pm »
Very clever....nicely done!!!!

Zereth (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 09:00:04 pm »
This is brilliant. I put one of these BL-5C batteries in my RG300 today to see how much padding I would need to keep it secure. I know nothing about 3D printers but if I had one I'd certainly make one of these. Well done.
Thank you! Please notice there's a thin wall (~1mm) in the upper side, to better align the connectors. I guess you could do without it, I'm a bit picky about batteries.

Very clever....nicely done!!!!
Thanks a lot!

You two guys made my day  :)

hiei

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »
Amazing! could you share the files with everyone here?

Zereth (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 04:40:32 pm »
Sure! Here you go:

Adapter: https://mega.nz/#!YuoBBZKQ!Xdb3VICVzo5Y-jFSF6vpgjAEuQ0VvjJ1YOY8fLlsHs4
"Decoration": https://mega.nz/#!gmpVFLqZ!6OP0RCx6dxf-SisGBNNpCF92T9kz2RZGEAJI1mbL6Sk

It's a 25 minute print, just about 4 grams. I'm glad about that, this was by no means my first design for this part.
Oh, I adjusted for thick battery stickers: original Nokia batteries do have some play.

The "decoration" is totally optional; it's like the slider button old SD cards had, for enabling/disabling writing on them. In the last photo it's the white piece to the left, glued with acetone, superglue or transparent nail polish. All work, I just don't remember which one I used for this  :P

Printed in PLA I used 0.2mm layers and 0.4mm walls, 10% infill; I had to increase the flow, the cover layers resulted too thin and see-through in clear colors so I used 105% flow with brand new, dry filament; you may need to adjust for yours. No supports, raft nor skirt were needed, but if your hotbed heats up unevenly I'd rotate the object 90deg in the vertical (Z) axis to minimize the movement along the Y axis (that usually helps against hotbeds prone to warping). I got fired up, sorry. You may already know way more than me about 3D printing. For sure you'll know your printer better than me; mine is a highly modified Anycubic i3 Mega. Just drop me a line if I can give you a hand with anything!

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming this is the best invention since microwave popcorn. It can be improved, it just worked for me as it is. If you do improve upon it, please share your improvements with us. Happy 3D printing and happy gaming!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:42:03 pm by Zereth »

hiei

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 07:12:30 pm »
Sure! Here you go:

Adapter: https://mega.nz/#!YuoBBZKQ!Xdb3VICVzo5Y-jFSF6vpgjAEuQ0VvjJ1YOY8fLlsHs4
"Decoration": https://mega.nz/#!gmpVFLqZ!6OP0RCx6dxf-SisGBNNpCF92T9kz2RZGEAJI1mbL6Sk

It's a 25 minute print, just about 4 grams. I'm glad about that, this was by no means my first design for this part.
Oh, I adjusted for thick battery stickers: original Nokia batteries do have some play.

The "decoration" is totally optional; it's like the slider button old SD cards had, for enabling/disabling writing on them. In the last photo it's the white piece to the left, glued with acetone, superglue or transparent nail polish. All work, I just don't remember which one I used for this  :P

Printed in PLA I used 0.2mm layers and 0.4mm walls, 10% infill; I had to increase the flow, the cover layers resulted too thin and see-through in clear colors so I used 105% flow with brand new, dry filament; you may need to adjust for yours. No supports, raft nor skirt were needed, but if your hotbed heats up unevenly I'd rotate the object 90deg in the vertical (Z) axis to minimize the movement along the Y axis (that usually helps against hotbeds prone to warping). I got fired up, sorry. You may already know way more than me about 3D printing. For sure you'll know your printer better than me; mine is a highly modified Anycubic i3 Mega. Just drop me a line if I can give you a hand with anything!

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming this is the best invention since microwave popcorn. It can be improved, it just worked for me as it is. If you do improve upon it, please share your improvements with us. Happy 3D printing and happy gaming!  ;)

Thank you very much for this beautiful work! :)

Retro Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 07:27:06 am »
For anyone curious - BP-4L battery has the same dimensions and contact placement so you don't have to sacrifice capacity using adapter. I just ordered one so I am gonna check if it works and will let you know.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:42:17 am by Retro Enthusiast »
RG-350/RG-300/RS-90/Bittboy

SML

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:22:00 pm »
I can't believe I missed this thread initially.

Zereth, would you be able to try doing something like this for other consoles, like the Wiz? I started a thread about this back in July, when I didn't know you'd done this.

https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/dealing-with-dead-andor-proprietary-batteries-(another-battery-thread)/

JORGETECH

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 12:12:47 pm »
Genius! Do you think this could work with the RS-97 since it uses the same battery?

fidojones

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 08:38:35 pm »
I did a modification of this adapter for the RS97 plus.

Here is the STL: https://www.printables.com/es/model/167555-retro-console-rs97-plus-bl-5c-battery-adapter

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:41:41 pm by fidojones »

VanZan

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 12:13:50 pm »
Thanks for this. I got the adapter for the rg300 printed lately and noticed it was very nearly compatible with the RS-97. I think there was one small clip causing the problem. Cheers!

CharlesM

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 04:24:08 pm »
Hi all.

My first post over here, don't be harsh  :P

Well, I guess we all know the RG300 has, say, a nonstandar battery. But Nokia BL-5Cs are quite standard and cheap, and their contacts match those of the RG300 battery connector. But those are way smaller than the provided battery.

So I 3D printed an adapter shaped like a scaled up version of an SD card to put the BL-5C battery inside and power the RG300 with it...

I even printed a funny sticker; my 2D printer wouldn't cooperate, it was intended to be orange but it looks radioactive. Funny because of the Nisu brand (bootleg branding, "ni su madre los conoce" like "not even their mother knows about them"). Anyway, I could have cut it from EVA foam, even cardboard, but those options gave me the creeps. Maybe someone around here will just do that. I tried several models and settings, I ended up removing the clip piece so it's just a tight fit kept in place by the... springyness... is that a word? Not a native English speaker, sorry. Well, the pressure of the contacts in the RG300 against those in the battery keep this thing in place just nicely. And the angle cutout has a slope to take it out using a fingetip. Oh, I had to make two recessed slots for the battery lid. That's... mostly it.

If anyone wants the size of each part or the 3D printer config, just drop me a line. I'm really not into Thingiverse, but if anyone wants the STL file I can share it too, we'll find a way.

And while we're at it, does anyone know how to use pixel-perfect 2x scaling in any GBA emulator (RG300)?
I got the IPS screen, it's indeed 480x320 and all I want is sharp, big pixels for my GBA games.

Cheerz!

Just made an account to thank Zereth for the great work on this adapter. I bought my RG300 from amazon and my battery failed after 2 years. In my case, the battery had charge, but with a voltmeter noticed the voltage was erratic.
I bought these batteries from amazon but I think any BL-5C should work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LST74YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, after printing and turning it on it did not work. Maybe the adapter prints differently because of printer defaults, but I managed to make it work putting a small piece of folded paper on the bottom left of the battery, then closing the lid. The contacts could need some wiggling and moving, so find the right spot and apply pressure with the paper. Mobile retro gaming is back for me.

Will be posting my RG300 review and battery solution pointing to this thread on Amazon.

Thanks!

Charles

Post a new topic
Post a new topic