• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: RG-300 hangs/crashes after dropping to the ground  (Read 1667 times)

sonicboy (OP)

Re: RG-300 hangs/crashes after dropping to the ground
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:56 am »
Hello,
I didn't visit the forum until yesterday so didn't notice your post. Thanks for sharing it with me, could be useful.
First what I did yesterday:

My new screen arrived and swapped it with the existing one (went easy, screen only fixed on one side with tape) and pulled it back together only to see that I forgot to put in the speaker.. Anyway I went on testing and all seemed well. I was able to play full level of Sonic whereas before it would certainly crash. Given your information, I shaked it and pushed the buttons hard to see if it crashed.. no it didn't!
So I opened it up again, put in the speaker and guess what... after some seconds after turning on it crashed again  ::)
I opened and pulled it together several times but the result was the same, it keeps on crashing sometimes it didn't boot up.

Maybe It could be the motherboard is loose, I have to say everything in the RG-300 does have some play also the battery but not so much it loses contact, but who knows...
I'll take another look at it this evening, I didn't notice anything that was broken of or so that could make the MB loose tough.

You say you pulled the loops outwards, with this you mean the contact points for the battery, like this: (green rectangle)

Kind regards and stay safe!

Zereth

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 10:41:16 am »
You say you pulled the loops outwards, with this you mean the contact points for the battery, like this: (green rectangle)
Yes, precisely. Using a thin screwdriver, careful not to break anything. But wait...

My new screen arrived and swapped it with the existing one (went easy, screen only fixed on one side with tape) and pulled it back together only to see that I forgot to put in the speaker.. Anyway I went on testing and all seemed well. I was able to play full level of Sonic whereas before it would certainly crash. Given your information, I shaked it and pushed the buttons hard to see if it crashed.. no it didn't!

Could there be a problem with the speaker? Does it keep crashing without the speaker?

sonicboy (OP)

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 10:50:50 am »
Could there be a problem with the speaker? Does it keep crashing without the speaker?

Forgot to mention it but yes, afterwards with the speaker out it dit crash again so don't think there is something wrong with the speaker. I also checked the gap between the contact points, but they don't touch each other (shortcircuit).

I do find it strange that the first time (without speaker) all went fine. I didn't test it very long, 5 minutes maybe but after I re-opened it, it never lasted that long so maybe there is one detail which makes the difference when putting it together..

thanks for your fast reply!

Zereth

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
thanks for your fast reply!

Just a coincidence and maybe timezone friendliness  :P  (UTC+2 here, btw)

Well, it seems we can safely say the speaker is not guilty of any crashes then. Did you remove the flex retainer/clip for the screen? I'm still a bit worried about that. Also, did you remove the tape on the chip? I'd do so, to be on the safe side.

sonicboy (OP)

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 07:35:21 am »
Hi mate,
sry for the late reply, I decided to enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend  8)

Anyway, guess it will be a difficult operation after all. I deed remove the tape from the chip (it doesn't get that fast hot I have to say) beforehand. I don't know for sure what you mean with the flex retainer/clip for the screen.

I've taken some pictures of what I think it is so you can inspect.

Here the clip is CLOSED:

and here it's OPEN:

Also I have a picture from when the screen is frozen, maybe this can tell something? I'm not sure as there is much different behaviour for crashing (screen freezes and turns blue, the emulator quits, restarting... and a strange background layer as in this picture)

Take a look at the sunflower at the left, it gets a green shadow other sprites like the trees or platform have a similar effect. Don't know if this is anything meaningful tough.

thanks!

ps: here UTC+2 as well  :)

Post a new topic