Author Topic: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld  (Read 187343 times)

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
Re: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld
« Reply #2205 on: September 12, 2018, 09:09:43 am »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable-Video-Handheld-Game-Console-Retro-16GB-Video-Game-Retro-Handheld-Game-Player-Built-in-3000/32914467348.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dFaYmbk

Do you guys recommend getting this one? It looks like a pretty good deal.

Well it's the one I went for in the end.

I can't really comment on a recommendation until it arrives which I assume is still 2 weeks away or so.

Okay so it arrived today.

First impressions: Reminds me of the Gemei A330.

And yeah that screen really is 320x480 - the included demo video looked pretty sharp.

I 'm sure other people have already said this but WTF is with the GBA cartridge!
Is it actually compatible with GBA carts? I would assume it is otherwise why bother with all that?

Okay now to get some homebrew happening on this thing as it looks technically okay.

What's the best firmware for development?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:14:36 am by slaanesh »

gameblabla

« Reply #2206 on: September 12, 2018, 09:54:02 am »
And yeah that screen really is 320x480 - the included demo video looked pretty sharp.
The screen is 320x480 but due to the aspect ratio, in reality it's more like 320x240...
You'll understand why when you develop for this thing.

I'm sure other people have already said this but WTF is with the GBA cartridge!
Is it actually compatible with GBA carts? I would assume it is otherwise why bother with all that?
No, not even the original firmware but it seems to have all the required pins for gba functionality.
I actually thought about how we could dump GBA games from the GBA slot... Maybe that could be possible by messing with memory registers. If you wanna do that then by all means be my guest !

Okay now to get some homebrew happening on this thing as it looks technically okay.
What's the best firmware for development?
My custom firmware Useless-RS97. 97Next has simply too many issues, won't work on 1.0S consoles, has slowdown issues due to partly uclibc (Useless uses musl instead) and it's simply old and not updated anymore.

kapster

« Reply #2207 on: September 12, 2018, 07:00:25 pm »
I 'm sure other people have already said this but WTF is with the GBA cartridge!

It?s because they are using the Revo K101 (a gba clone) molds. I guess they could have modified but it was also an easy way to add and external sd card slot I guess. The connector isn?t even wired to support all the pins on the carts even if the board itself could handle it.

The link cable port is also not wired to the board.

The biggest improvement now would be getting the ipu working.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #2208 on: September 12, 2018, 07:09:32 pm »

It?s because they are using the Revo K101 (a gba clone) molds. I guess they could have modified but it was also an easy way to add and external sd card slot I guess. The connector isn?t even wired to support all the pins on the carts even if the board itself could handle it.

The link cable port is also not wired to the board.

Yes, it's likely only the SD card portion is wired up. No official GBA cartridges will work, ever.

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #2209 on: September 12, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »
I've traced the few populated connections back to the SOC. Only signals/power used to drive the single microSD and in no way compatible with Nintendo edge connector pinouts.

van denhawk

« Reply #2210 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:03 pm »

Nice to see you have interest in this device

Can you port your mame emus first?

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #2211 on: September 13, 2018, 12:57:57 am »

Once I've ported MAME4ALL v2.0, getting the IPU working is my number one priority.

Yep, I also got an RZX-50 about a month ago and it suffers from similar issues. No IPU support.
It has a jz4755 which is quite a bit more advance than the jz4720 - jz4740 CPUS in the IPU department.

One of the issues with the jz4720 - jz4740 range is that they only work with physical hardware addresses, that is the source image and the destination images must be specified as physical memory.

Linux works with virtual paged memory - you may be able to malloc chunks of memory but believe it or not there is no guarantee that it's contiguous. A chunk of memory that is larger than the pagesize (typically 4096 bytes) can be physically scattered throughout memory. The MMU looks after everything behind the scenes with page mapping so to the user process it appears contiguous but in reality it's probably not.

Anyway, the jz4755 and above looks like it supports paging modes which may be useful - making it possibly more accessible for user space programs. I'll see how this goes. More info on this mode would be great if anyone knows.

Also as another bonus, jz4755+ should be able to do RGB -> RGB type conversions. The jz4755_pm.pdf seems to say it does anyway, though it's implementation isn't that handy.

I've yet to look through the jz4760_pm.pdf but will do so soon.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:16:54 am by slaanesh »

elistvan

« Reply #2212 on: September 14, 2018, 11:50:27 am »

Once I've ported MAME4ALL v2.0, getting the IPU working is my number one priority.

Yep, I also got an RZX-50 about a month ago and it suffers from similar issues. No IPU support.
It has a jz4755 which is quite a bit more advance than the jz4720 - jz4740 CPUS in the IPU department.

One of the issues with the jz4720 - jz4740 range is that they only work with physical hardware addresses, that is the source image and the destination images must be specified as physical memory.

Linux works with virtual paged memory - you may be able to malloc chunks of memory but believe it or not there is no guarantee that it's contiguous. A chunk of memory that is larger than the pagesize (typically 4096 bytes) can be physically scattered throughout memory. The MMU looks after everything behind the scenes with page mapping so to the user process it appears contiguous but in reality it's probably not.

Anyway, the jz4755 and above looks like it supports paging modes which may be useful - making it possibly more accessible for user space programs. I'll see how this goes. More info on this mode would be great if anyone knows.

Also as another bonus, jz4755+ should be able to do RGB -> RGB type conversions. The jz4755_pm.pdf seems to say it does anyway, though it's implementation isn't that handy.

Where did you get the RZX-50? Its made for the russian market only I think.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #2213 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:46 pm »

There was a guy in Russia on eBay selling them for US$30 each, I bought one. I wish I would have bought two!

It's an awesome unit, much nicer than the RS-97/Retrogame 3000 even if it's less powerful.

I like the feel of it, the controls and the screen.

lazanti

« Reply #2214 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:36 pm »

Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ritmix-RZX-50-portable-game-console/292701333203

I got it for 20 dollars + 10 dollars shipping :)

VanZan

« Reply #2215 on: September 15, 2018, 08:02:27 pm »
Is there custom firmware for that Ritmix device? Curious what emulators work with it.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #2216 on: September 15, 2018, 10:51:22 pm »
Check it out here. Translate to your language recommended unless you know russian.

http://a320.emulate.su/category/ritmix-consoles/ritmix-rzx-50

VanZan

« Reply #2217 on: September 15, 2018, 11:40:52 pm »
Thanks...seems there was a decent amount of work done for it. Pity that a lot of the links are dead and the tapatalk forum is gone.

Post a new topic