Author Topic: Coolboy RS-97 (JZ4760 JZ4760B) (RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld  (Read 261674 times)

ruffnutts

Re: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:10 pm »
@Jack83 the alternative cps emu doesn't work with the original roms, nor do the neo roms. Which sets would work? Been follow this thread for a while, just joined. :D

I have the same problem too.CPS1,CPS2,Neogeo don't work on alternate emulators.

in alternative emu they can be .zip but neogeo on native emu is .fba format plus you probably need the bios in alternative
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:16:50 pm by ruffnutts »

SNESFAN

« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2018, 12:57:23 pm »
I have been in contact with Steward Fu, our friend in the east. He is close to releasing what he's been working on. He's taking a slightly different approach than myself. He is working on building a toolchain and rootfs based off the stock kernel and bootloaders with a more recent buildroot.

He sent me some screenshots of a psx emulator and gmenu2x running on the rs97. When he is done we can package that up for those interested.

My and his projects have different goals, mine is for understanding the entire process, but he is way more experienced so he is quite a bit further along than me. He is also working on a LCD panel replacement as well.

Will keep you all informed as progress happens, cheers.

edit
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1raidhKC
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:16:34 am by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2018, 01:29:48 pm »
Amazing stuff can't wait but why a change of screen? the current screen i think is amazing.

ruffnutts

« Reply #323 on: January 30, 2018, 01:32:17 pm »
Wow awesome

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

onthebridge

« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:23 pm »
Looks great

lemmywinks

« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2018, 02:21:24 pm »
I'm definitely interested in anything that can be released so far.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:15 pm »
Steward Fu is trying to marry old chinese kernel with new buildroot from GCW-Zero. :) Good luck with it. Numerous difficulties await him (i.e. buggy lcd driver and OSS sound), but this may end with running true OpenDingux on it!
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2018, 02:36:01 pm »
The website here http://www.dingux.com/ was the guy by the name of booboo who reverse engineered the a330 and a320 i take my hat of to him.Only wish he was still around to help the project he seems to have disappeared for a while now.

seagal

« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »
I've touched a little bit more ohboy emu, now it saves and load states, and config saves are working too.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlp7f72blj3c860/OhBoy_retrogame_300118.rar

and this is mame, but it still needs a lot more of work :menu is buggy, is slow, lot of games crashes, but there are a lot of games too that works ok and fullscreen. tip: If you decrease sound quality and select 'none' on sync, games run better. And select 'normal' scale mode. Others can and will crash.

I've made a zip withouth the 'roms' folder, so you'll need to create it and put roms inside.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/95hc2xcdbmc8lbx/mame_retrogame_test.rar
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:11:23 pm by seagal »

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2018, 03:28:33 pm »
Here you go guys https://github.com/steward-fu?tab=repositories

You can't use any of this stuff its just the progress steward fu is making great work

chevette

« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2018, 04:15:33 pm »
seagal - Tried the OhBoy emulator out. Configuration and state saves are not saving for me. I manually edited the ohboy.rc file with a text editor and the the config is still not being saved.

pixelizedpig

« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2018, 04:30:20 pm »
what i can say guys you are great keep going :) eventually at the next 2 weeks i ll have mine as welll

lemmywinks

« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »
I've touched a little bit more ohboy emu, now it saves and load states, and config saves are working too.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mr01v4jc95fxbee/OhBoy_retrogame_300118.rar

and this is mame, but it still needs a lot more of work :menu is buggy, is slow, lot of games crashes, but there are a lot of games too that works ok and fullscreen. tip: If you decrease sound quality and select 'none' on sync, games run better. And select 'normal' scale mode. Others can and will crash.

I've made a zip withouth the 'roms' folder, so you'll need to create it and put roms inside.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/95hc2xcdbmc8lbx/mame_retrogame_test.rar

Excellent thank you
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

seagal

« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
seagal - Tried the OhBoy emulator out. Configuration and state saves are not saving for me. I manually edited the ohboy.rc file with a text editor and the the config is still not being saved.

sorry, delete ohboy.rc as it has my config. Just delete it and it will create a good working one.

ruffnutts

« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2018, 06:29:49 pm »
what's the chances of dual boot like the dingoo was? or does it not really need to be?

hugorilho

« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:33 pm »
I've had mine for a couple of days, and besides the chinese named ROMs, it's good enough as an alternative to my gpd xd. I looked for a tool such as Renamer for renaming the ROMs into English but not much luck in that regard. I did contact the AliExpress seller and he sent one of those baidu cloud storage links to download a few english named GBA ROMs... was also wondering what would be a good travelling case for this form factor?

PS: not much of a tinkering guy, even less a code wizard so I deeply admire you're dedication to create a new firmware for this device. Is it flashable just like an Android device?

literallywhy

« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
I have been in contact with Steward Fu, our friend in the east. He is close to releasing what he's been working on. He's taking a slightly different approach than myself. He is working on building a toolchain and rootfs based off the stock kernel and bootloaders with a more recent buildroot.

He sent me some screenshots of a psx emulator and gmenu2x running on the rs97. When he is done we can package that up for those interested.

My and his projects have different goals, mine is for understanding the entire process, but he is way more experienced so he is quite a bit further along than me. He is also working on a LCD panel replacement as well.

Is there there a performance difference between the kernels? I imagine the newer one you're using would have better/more driver support for the screen right?

literallywhy

« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2018, 06:43:40 pm »
I've had mine for a couple of days, and besides the chinese named ROMs, it's good enough as an alternative to my gpd xd. I looked for a tool such as Renamer for renaming the ROMs into English but not much luck in that regard. I did contact the AliExpress seller and he sent one of those baidu cloud storage links to download a few english named GBA ROMs... was also wondering what would be a good travelling case for this form factor?

PS: not much of a tinkering guy, even less a code wizard so I deeply admire you're dedication to create a new firmware for this device. Is it flashable just like an Android device?
The internal storage has folders for the roms. Just download/rip the ones you want and replace the ones that come with the device. You should also download the alternative dmenu that's been posted earlier. Has much better emulators and interface.

literallywhy

« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »
what's the chances of dual boot like the dingoo was? or does it not really need to be?
I would hope that we can use the newer kernel and libs that the GCW0 has, it would most likely mean easier homebrew porting

SNESFAN

« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:44 pm »

Is there there a performance difference between the kernels? I imagine the newer one you're using would have better/more driver support for the screen right?
Probably not a ton of performance from just the kernel, unless a driver for a piece of hardware is either not written, or written poorly. Kernel upgrades normally result in additional features and things working better, more secure, and stable. We will see, main point is it opens a lot of doors for new and different things to be tried out and played with. Different file systems might result in better performance for example scheduler improvements etc? If you go through the changelog from 2.6 to 4.15 there's probably a few general improvements in there somewhere

Newer or possibly just different libraries would probably offer the most performance differences. I'm going to play with some of the optimization and library options as well to see what best works for what we are doing. All that is on the toolchain and rootfs side though. In theory, that stuff can be done without a change to the kernel.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:34:38 pm by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

Post a new topic
Post a new topic