Author Topic: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld  (Read 33280 times)

literallywhy

Re: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:17 pm »
If someone is willing to confirm that GB & GBC works well (full speed, correct sound and aspect ratio etc.) I would totally be willing to throw in the extra $15 it would take to order an RS-97 off amazon with prime shipping.
Would be willing to test stuff out for you guys until yours arrive.
I was originally gonna buy a GB boy colour and some repro games but this seems like a much better buy if it can do GBC as well as the GB boy AND do other systems + dingux as well
Haven't found any decent review on it though

literallywhy

« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2018, 03:48:38 am »
Ended up ordering it, should be here next week
As a sidenote, can it run anything from http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?
If so, what kind of extensions are compatible?

Jack83

« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:58 am »
I guess its getting more and more confusing to get information about the device.
I wrote to an op to get a submenu for the new devices, but no answer yet. I will try to sum the information up:

RS-97
- Ingenic jz4760 528mhz MIPS CPU (little endian)
- 320x480 px screen with pixel ratio of ~3:4,5 and a actual screen AR of 4:3 -> That is causing the AR issues
- Currently runs Dingux with a 2.6.31.3 Linux kernel. This is the kernel for which ingenic provided
  patches and examples for back in 2010
- The "Firmware" consists of several parts all on the internal sd-card:
   - Bootloader: Makes the thing boot up. Old version of Uboot
   - Kernel: mentioned above
   - Partitions: Several partitions (like c:, d: on windows), the root filesystem containing the libraries (rootfs),
     the build in emulators (appfs), the config partition (configfs) and the fat32 partition holding the games
- The RS-97 can run applications compiled for Dingux with the "dge" extension. Because of the odd AR,
  applications not patched or otherwise altered will look distorted on the screen
- The default emulators are very old versions of open source emulators
- The default menu is called dmenu. Its based on an open source menu system and is used in many of
  those devices. We do not have the source code of this version, but we do have the code its based on.

PAP KIII Plus / Gamemeta II
- same as above but 480x272 screen, no AR problems

Development:
- @SNESFAN is working on a port of OpenDingux
- OpenDingux is based on a newer Linux Kernel 3.4 (current is 4.14) and a new rootfs
- OpenDingux with the new rootfs allowes more applications to be ported. It has more libraries
  which can be used and enables some compiler optimization (simply spoken)
- Applications compiled for OpenDingux can be compatible with Dingux
  if they don't use the optimization or libraries

Don't mix up Firmware with Menu or Emulators
A simple (but not entirely accurate) comparison could be: "Windows", "Steam", "Games"

As all those components are on the sd-card, they can all be altered at once.
That's why sometimes the term "flashing a new firmware" is used to alter any part of the software.

My thoughts:
What most of you and I really want is a new menu and working emulators to play games. Upgrading dingux to OpenDingux
will help with some emulators, but most will already work with the current dingux. Porting OpenDingux to the RS-97 is a
lot of work and I'm glad SNESFAN has taken up the task, but I don't really see the benefit for me. All of the emulators I ever use
are alreay working on the current dingux. Upgrading to OpenDingux would not make anything go faster. This could be done by enabling
special features of the cpu (hardware floating point calculation), but his would make it incompatible with existing dingux/OpenDingux application without
recompiling the applications.

Thats why I focuse on what I can do right now. Maybe you have seen my port of the dmenu to the PAP KIII Plus (K3P).
This can be done for the RS-97, if there is demand. I'm also working on a generic fix for the emulators on the K3P to work on the RS-97.
Its working currently for:
- GB /GBC
- GBA
- NES
- SNES

It comes with a small performace drop for GBA and SNES. If you want to test it, write me a pm.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:03:07 am by Jack83 »

seagal

« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:02 am »
just a thought...

I think would be better to recompile all app/emulators (as almost are opensource) instead of a path that makes dingoo/gcw zero/pap III works on fullscreen.

We have a 'better' resolution screen here and I think we could have advantadge here for filters or better scaling.

As an example, the mikie arcade emulator I ported for testing: vertical resolution is 256, on a 240 screen we have to lost two tiles or have a bad scaling, with a vertical 480, you didnt lose those 16 pixel, and there is a lot of vertical games on mame that could benefit of this.

Jack83

« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2018, 11:11:22 am »
We have a 'better' resolution screen here and I think we could have advantadge here for filters or better scaling.

I agree. On paper we have a better resolution. In reality, we have a pixel AR of 1:2 instead of 1:1
This makes the extra pixels useless for most cases if you are dealing with a system relying on the 1:1 ratio.

Maybe I'm wrong, but rendering a 320x256 image and keeping the AR will leave you with 240 pixel vertically on this screen

SNESFAN

« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »
Porting OpenDingux to the RS-97 is a
lot of work and I'm glad SNESFAN has taken up the task, but I don't really see the benefit for me. All of the emulators I ever use
are alreay working on the current dingux. Upgrading to OpenDingux would not make anything go faster. This could be done by enabling
special features of the cpu (hardware floating point calculation), but his would make it incompatible with existing dingux/OpenDingux application without recompiling the applications.

So just an answer as to why, as I can sense a aspect of confusion in your comments. I've never taken a device from mostly unknown out of the box state with just white papers to a fully customized OS stack before. I have always wanted to learn how to do this, just to say I've done it and know how everything works, as it has always interested me. I do OSD (operating system development) in my day job for x86 machines, but never for embedded systems.

Raspberry Pi and most commercial devices have lots of interest and lots of love, most of work is done, so a lot of information exists, so I guess you could say it would be too easy. And any porting effort would not get much attention either. I specifically went looking for a challenge and maybe some bragging rights when it's done.

My ultimate goal is to someday design my own handheld from scratch, this work is a couple steps before jumping into that. Hopefully this attention will also breath some new life into opendingux as a target for handhelds, the GCW0 debacle and android have really hurt the scene in my opinion. I plan on making tutoritals and documenting the entire process with videos etc for aspiring embedded engineers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:11:20 pm by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

Jack83

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2018, 12:23:28 pm »
Many thanks for your answer! That is indeed a very good reason for working on that  :)
I do mostly HCI (human computer interaction) and back-end stuff for a living, so I have different perspective on some things.

ruffnutts

« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2018, 01:17:37 pm »
My screen protector turned up today, fit it later, any tips lemmy?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

jutley

• https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97/home/
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2018, 01:31:03 pm »
If anyone is after one of these i have a brand new one going pm me if interested.
Please do visit my site below for (News,guides,tips for RS-97)
https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97/home/

My Devices

Gemini Pda (Duel boot Android/Debian)
GPD Pocket (Duelboot windows 10/Ubuntu 17.10)
Retro game RS-97 (opendingux) Gmenu2x
Retro mini RS-90
PapKIII Plus
GameGadget (opendingux)
NesPie retropie console (raspberry pie)
Tinkerboard Nespie retropie.
Mi Max 2 64gb
Soyes 7s

ruffnutts

« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »
That screen protector is expensive for what it is, were my eye's are bad nearly messed it up haha

ADY

« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2018, 08:33:03 pm »
Edit: it's powering now, guess it needed to charge for a minute.

It comes with a small performace drop for GBA and SNES. If you want to test it, write me a pm.

I'd be glad to help with that but I'd need to know how to install the emu's and what you want me to look for in testing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:42:38 pm by ADY »

ruffnutts

« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:10 pm »
How comes this don't have atari? this could have had other emu's running out the box

ADY

« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:02 am »
I removed a bunch of Chinese Roms from mine (SNES, NES, GBA, MD) and replaced them with English Roms, but almost none of them are appearing, the menu just has my folders. The couple of games that do appear like Castlevania.NES won't even open. It's not the folders because the GBA games aren't stored in folders and they are not appearing either.

Anyone know what is going on?

Edit: I hit restore default settings and they all appeared, this thing is weird. I can see why people hat the UI so much.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:22:23 am by ADY »

jutley

• https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97/home/
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:47 am »
I found all the same games on the PapKIII plus were in english so all i did was copy them from the internal memory to the RS-97 replacing the chinese ones job done.I now have plenty of room anyways since i ripped out the 4gb card and replaced it with 32gb.
Please do visit my site below for (News,guides,tips for RS-97)
https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97/home/

My Devices

Gemini Pda (Duel boot Android/Debian)
GPD Pocket (Duelboot windows 10/Ubuntu 17.10)
Retro game RS-97 (opendingux) Gmenu2x
Retro mini RS-90
PapKIII Plus
GameGadget (opendingux)
NesPie retropie console (raspberry pie)
Tinkerboard Nespie retropie.
Mi Max 2 64gb
Soyes 7s

ruffnutts

« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2018, 08:12:39 am »
I removed a bunch of Chinese Roms from mine (SNES, NES, GBA, MD) and replaced them with English Roms, but almost none of them are appearing, the menu just has my folders. The couple of games that do appear like Castlevania.NES won't even open. It's not the folders because the GBA games aren't stored in folders and they are not appearing either.

Anyone know what is going on?

Edit: I hit restore default settings and they all appeared, this thing is weird. I can see why people hat the UI so much.

Same happend to me - yeah the UI is rubbish wish you could turn off the menu sound ...