Author Topic: Coolboy RS-97 RetroGame 45$ Dingux handheld  (Read 237436 times)

Radioboy86

Re: Revo K101 Shell used in another device?
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 03:42:05 am »
You need to have the right drivers for the LCD panel. The K101 clone uses a very odd resolution LCD panel. The firmware for a screen that does not match the driver will crash and brick the unit.

Radioboy86

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 03:45:44 am »
How do you make a backup of the internal SD card? Does it require taking the unit apart? Can we backup the default firmware image without opening up the unit? Does anyone have any instructions? I will try it for us all. I just do not want to open up the unit if I do not have to.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2018, 05:31:02 am »
It?s going to be same as the Papkiii plus open up remove card and use diskimage32 windows etc.

Radioboy86

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2018, 08:00:56 am »
Hmm, I will wait for another owner to crack it open. I am fine with it for now. I never can get the unit to be as good when you get dust under the screen. Hate that shit.

Fishcakes

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2018, 09:17:19 am »
I can try the new menu install when i get my unit if it hasnt been done already. Hopefully itll come in sometime next week

Radioboy86

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:48 am »
Thanks! Good luck! We will all be waiting to see the results. Just remember to backup that image first! Thanks again!

Fishcakes

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:35 am »
No problem. Can someone post up instructions to load the backup in case it doesn't work? Ive never done this before and id like to go into the situation as prepared as possible. Ill also take pictures of the board if thatll help

Jack83

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:52 am »
Has anyone tried the papk iii plus d menu firmware files on the retro game handheld since they have same soc chips should it not work the same as the papk iii plus?

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

Please don't do that! What I did for the PAP KIII Plus was in no way a new firmware! I just fixed the resolution of the menu for the K3 and added a few helper. Just putting in on the Revo K101 wont work!

I just watched the video on the device and looked at the teardown pictures. Looks pretty much like the K3 just with different PCB and screen. It even seems they used the same menu software version and because of the different resolution to aspect ratio is wrong.

Looking at the pictures, I think this could be a great device. Especially the should buttons seem to be much better than those on the PAP KIII.
As for OpenDingux: The kernel patches for the jz4760 are only available for the 2.6 kernel and would have to be ported to 3.x or even 4. I don't think that's going to happen. What could be done is the same approach as for the PAP KIII: Patch the menu for the new resolution and use it as default menu. The emulators I used for the PAP KIII should work for any resolution but I don't know for sure.

I'm not planing of getting a K101 right now, but I can help adapting the software.

SNESFAN

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »
If someone is willing to develop for this GAME console, I'm willing to give RETRO GAME to him.

I have one on the way already. I have been in contact with Stuward Fu to work with him on porting a 3.x linux kernel to it, he seems interested in working on the device as well. If you want to reach out to him, or I can direct him to you. He would be a great candidate for a dev unit.

https://steward-fu.github.io/website/
steward.fu(at)gmail.com

###########
I found a 2.6.38 JZ4760 linux kernel from qi-hardware, searching  the net, that appears to be the latest.
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/qi-kernel/source/tree/jz47xx-2.6.38/

git clone --single-branch -b jz47xx-2.6.38 git://projects.qi-hardware.com/qi-kernel.git

I got the old gcw0 opendingux toolchain to compile after working all day on fixing dependencies and making patches.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-development/(guide)-build-firmware-from-source-and-flash-to-device/msg172326/#msg172326

###########
reference material

mirror of (old) ingenic ftp with 4760 files
ftp://grids.be/mirror/ftp.ingenic.cn

tut for porting (arm) device from 2.6 to 3.x
https://ixit.cz/porting-arm-board-to-linux-3-x-howto/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:45:28 pm by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

Radioboy86

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:29 pm »
Yes guys! Keep the wheels in motion! Great work! Perhaps we can make this even better than we think is possible! I think with all the support we can get this done! Opendingux would be the ultimate goal here! A big thank you for all of the devs interested in helping us. It has been way too long since a good dingoo device was "worthy" of hacking and modding into a proper handheld.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »
Well I can offer to test to any Devs I have all 3 devices on the way

Retro game RS-97
Retro mini RS 90
PapKIII Plus

lemmywinks

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
I also have the Retro Mini (RS-90) and the Retro Game (RS-97) on the way as well as the PAP KIII Plus already here (with the community dmenu hack) so I can test things when the other two turn up.

Would be nice to get the RS-97 cracked open, it potentially looks like a great Dingux alternative with nice build quality.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

van denhawk

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2018, 07:48:50 pm »
I suppose we need a dev and donate to buy him one unit the aliexpress deal looks good.We will then get get some answers I think so we should do a donation and call out to a willing dev.If anyone wants to set up a bounty let?s do it.

Maybe dmitry_smagin might be interested in this device?

If hacked I hope Slaanesh gets a unit as he likes to port mame to different handheld gaming devices.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:50:24 pm by van denhawk »

Fishcakes

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 02:18:14 am »
Has anyone tried the papk iii plus d menu firmware files on the retro game handheld since they have same soc chips should it not work the same as the papk iii plus?

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

Please don't do that! What I did for the PAP KIII Plus was in no way a new firmware! I just fixed the resolution of the menu for the K3 and added a few helper. Just putting in on the Revo K101 wont work!

I just watched the video on the device and looked at the teardown pictures. Looks pretty much like the K3 just with different PCB and screen. It even seems they used the same menu software version and because of the different resolution to aspect ratio is wrong.

Looking at the pictures, I think this could be a great device. Especially the should buttons seem to be much better than those on the PAP KIII.
As for OpenDingux: The kernel patches for the jz4760 are only available for the 2.6 kernel and would have to be ported to 3.x or even 4. I don't think that's going to happen. What could be done is the same approach as for the PAP KIII: Patch the menu for the new resolution and use it as default menu. The emulators I used for the PAP KIII should work for any resolution but I don't know for sure.

I'm not planing of getting a K101 right now, but I can help adapting the software.

Ok, i wont try it as per your recommendation, but is there any way i can be of some help?

Like i said, i can take the unit apart and take pictures of the board to confirm that all the units from different sellers are the same. I have no programming or electrical knowledge though, so behind that im assuming the only help i can be is to test software once someone comes up with something correct?

onthebridge

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2018, 12:36:32 pm »
I offer to donate 5 dollars so a dev can get a unit, so just point me in the right direction

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

ruffnutts

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »
So your telling me that the RetroGame/CoolBoy the one that looks like Revo K101 is marked up wrong on these sites and has a JZ4760 and not a JZ4725B?

Because I just bought one for ?35

P.S the JZ4725B is 13 years old  :o

buzzdennis

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »
Hey everyone,

New to the forum specifically for this device. Came across it after watching a YT video by ETA Prime. Really excited to see that there's already a lot of progress in determining the feasibility of modifying this thing. It's honestly a really nice little device as it feels good and plays everything on it pretty smoothly. I have a couple things I think are worth discussing about it so please bear with me.

• First, I think we all need to settle on a name for this device. There are a number of different ways I've seen it named and if a goal of the community is to get this device to take off, some consistent naming is essential. I only came across this forum after someone mentioned it in a youtube comment. Prior to that, I searched pretty fruitlessly across google using a few different names. Retrogame is way too generic. I think settling on either RS-97 or K101 Pro will help others find more information about the device. Thoughts?
  • Second, is anyone aware of real english resources of what can be done with the device right now (sans modification/hacks)? I'm curious if I'm even able to organize the roms that are currently on the device. Mine came with a random music video by Pitbull and a song featuring The Weeknd that I don't really want on there.
  • Lastly, I'm eager to help the community but don't quite know how. There will be more like me to come. How can we (people like me who don't have experience hacking or building new firmwares) be redirected effectively help the cause?

Thank you everyone for humoring me. Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

fosamax

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:57 pm »
I can tell I'm interested in the device (without really needing it).

I used to love my dingoo A320, which is still working great (and allow great overclocking up to 430-450 Mhz)
What I love much about it is the consistency of the emulators in stock firmware (the ones from LionRSM).

I bought age ago a gemei a330, hoping for future development but in fact it never happened.

Porting dingux is a thing but without proper emulators to play with, it'll remain pointless.

At least, the case looks great and controlls seems to be good.

SNESFAN

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »
Hey everyone,

New to the forum specifically for this device. Came across it after watching a YT video by ETA Prime. Really excited to see that there's already a lot of progress in determining the feasibility of modifying this thing. It's honestly a really nice little device as it feels good and plays everything on it pretty smoothly. I have a couple things I think are worth discussing about it so please bear with me.

• First, I think we all need to settle on a name for this device. There are a number of different ways I've seen it named and if a goal of the community is to get this device to take off, some consistent naming is essential. I only came across this forum after someone mentioned it in a youtube comment. Prior to that, I searched pretty fruitlessly across google using a few different names. Retrogame is way too generic. I think settling on either RS-97 or K101 Pro will help others find more information about the device. Thoughts?
  • Second, is anyone aware of real english resources of what can be done with the device right now (sans modification/hacks)? I'm curious if I'm even able to organize the roms that are currently on the device. Mine came with a random music video by Pitbull and a song featuring The Weeknd that I don't really want on there.
  • Lastly, I'm eager to help the community but don't quite know how. There will be more like me to come. How can we (people like me who don't have experience hacking or building new firmwares) be redirected effectively help the cause?

Thank you everyone for humoring me. Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.
Sit tight and help new people as they show up currently. I know I'm still waiting on getting mine, as are several others. Assisting in stock firmware stuff and getting ROMs in the right formats etc are probably going to be your guys initial focus. Later on guides on flashing aftermarket firmware and supporting users will be needed.

There is a very long road on the dev side in getting things ported correctly. (At least the stuff I want to do) Very low level stuff like bootloaders (ubiboot) needs ported and a the kernel needs ported and patched from 2.6 to 3.14 to work with the rootfs of the gcw0.

It's actually a quite a bit of work, so it may seem as if nothing will be happening for quite a while until we get it to boot correctly. Emulators will eventually need re-ported and reconfigured, but most of the app porters and devs are still floating around. If we do our job right, their job will be fairly easy and may not even need a unit.

I make pretty comprehensive tutorials, so getting to understand what needs done to support the community shouldn't be that difficult.

All in good time :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Post a new topic