Author Topic: RetroFW vs OpenDingux  (Read 1149 times)

cianoscatolo (OP)

RetroFW vs OpenDingux
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »
Hi guys, I have a RS-97 version 3.0.
I have RetroFW on it right now, but I would like to know if installing Dingux would make anything better, as far as performance, graphics and community and homebrew support.
Thanks!

Inviato dal mio Hi9plus utilizzando Tapatalk

gameblabla

Re: RetroFW vs OpenDingux
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:40:28 pm »
I have RetroFW on it right now, but I would like to know if installing Dingux would make anything better, as far as performance, graphics and community and homebrew support.
Thanks!

There's no Dingux or OpenDingux for the RS-97 : that's for the GCW0, RS-90 and RG-350.
And also, the RS-97/LDK/RG-300 use the JZ4760B which is MIPS32r1, not MIPS32r2 so it won't be compatible with those binaries anyway.

If you have RetroFW, you have the latest (and most supported)

cianoscatolo (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:49:40 pm »
Thanks!

There's no Dingux or OpenDingux for the RS-97 : that's for the GCW0, RS-90 and RG-350.
And also, the RS-97/LDK/RG-300 use the JZ4760B which is MIPS32r1, not MIPS32r2 so it won't be compatible with those binaries anyway.

If you have RetroFW, you have the latest (and most supported)
Uh, thanks. I saw a rs97 on Aliexpress and the sellers claimed it had opendingux, but probabily they were taliking about the retrofw.

jbanes

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »
Uh, thanks. I saw a rs97 on Aliexpress and the sellers claimed it had opendingux, but probabily they were taliking about the retrofw.

To be honest, only the software developers who work on the things really understand the difference. Everyone else uses "OpenDingux" as shorthand for "custom firmware". If you see "OpenDingux" advertised pre-installed on an RS-97 or related unit (e.g. LDK, RG-300, etc.), it's probably RetroFW.

Note that RetroFW also goes by the name "Tony System" in a lot of AliExpress ads. Long story. Suffice it to say Tony Jih was a main developer on RetroFW.

There were two other custom firmwares: 97Next and Useless. The latter of which was developed and maintained for a while by the previous poster, GBB. If I understand correctly the former was developed by Stuart-Fu & Jutley. (I'm sure I'm leaving tons of people out who made all this stuff work.)

RetroFW learned from the previous two and added a lot of enhancements. So at this point there's no real reason to run anything else. The OS is extremely well tuned to the needs of JZ4760(B) devices. Newer devices ship with the RetroFW OS instead of the stock Dingoo OS. And if you want to upgrade or heavily customize your device, many models make the internal SD Card easily accessible under the battery.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:11:22 pm by jbanes »

gameblabla

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:46:12 pm »
There were two other custom firmwares: 97Next and Useless. The latter of which was developed and maintained for a while by the previous poster, GBB.
This is actually false : i was the one who came up with Useless at first and made the decision to switch it to musl libc.
I have no idea who GBB is but other people simply took my last Useless release and added more games to it by default.
EDIT: GBB was really me, i did not realize that. I'm so ashamed of what i just said. Sorry

No marginal improvements were done to it until the release of RetroFW. (which finally uses 320x240 as the default as the IPU upscales it to 320x480)

This is accurate for 97Next though but that too like Useless eventually stopped working which is why i worked on Useless.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:26:10 pm by gameblabla »

elea

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 07:53:26 pm »
GBB = gameblabla

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 09:25:08 pm »
GBB = gameblabla
facepalming so hard lmao... thanks for enlightening me

iball

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 09:44:57 pm »
GBB = gameblabla
"You down with GBB?  Yeah you know me!"
(only 80s kids will get that)

jbanes

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:58 am »
GBB = gameblabla
"To err is human..."  =)

Sorry for the confusion. I thought I was being clear by pointing to the "previous poster".

exorio

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 05:39:43 am »
ROFLMAO @GBB

BTW, this is just what I feel on my LDK

if you're in for the SNES emulation + native games, useless firmware is the way to go

I'm pretty sure RetroFW version of SNES is much slower than the useless firmware version

hence after mutliple updates and retrying RetroFW multiple times I always back to useless

Post a new topic