Author Topic: Release: Demu for PAP KIII Plus (K3P) and RS97  (Read 11605 times)

Jack83 (OP)

Release: Demu for PAP KIII Plus (K3P) and RS97
« on: February 03, 2018, 03:27:10 pm »
This thread was made to keep track of the releases and this post will be updated.

This fork is based on Dmenu 0.7(test release) and adapted to work on the PAP KIII Plus (K3P) and the RS-97 

Dmenu is a simple menu system for Dingux (Linux on K3P and others). It is optimized to work with the 480x272
resoltion of the K3P and the 320x480 of the RS-97. You need an sd-card for this menu that plugs into the external slot of the device

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190313091709/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORgGa9ZA1Y" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORgGa9ZA1Y</a>

Installation
------------

1. Extract the content of the lates release(e.g. dmenu_0.7_k3_0.5.zip or dmenu_0.7_RS97_0.5.zip ) onto your new external card. You need the dmenu folder in the root of your sd-card
2. Advice: Make a backup of your internal sd-card! You can use the backup.dge in sd-card/dmenu/installer to do this. It will take some time and has only a black screen.
You need at least 4gb space on the sd-card. This step is not required, but the installation of this dmenu will alter internal partitions and having a backup is a good idea!
3. If you want to use the alternative emulators as well (you do!), extract the emulators.zip (or emulators_RS97.zip) and apps.zip (or apps_RS97.zip) to the root folder as well.
4. Use the build-in file browser and navigate to sd-card/dmenu/installer
5. Run the install.dge file

-> The new dmenu should open and is now the default menu.

To uninstall the dmenu, just remove the external sd-card or delete/rename the dmenu folder on the external card. If the folder is not found,
the old (default) menu is loaded.

SwitchMenu.dge in the dmenu folder allows to switch between the old and this dmenu.

The release can be found here: https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/tree/master/release

This menu is currently not compatible with the released OS from Steward! I will try to make it compatible.

Uploaded a repack for the RS97 with correct newline encoding for the installer
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_RS97_0.5_repack.zip
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:13:58 pm by Jack83 »

VampireHunter_D

Re: Release: Demu for PAP KIII Plus (K3P) and RS97
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:49:29 pm »
Jack83 great work. This is working great on my K3P, however I seem to be having an issue with the RS-97. I am following the instructions by putting the RS-97 files on the root of the SD Card (just like I did for the K3P) however when I run installer.dge it just goes to a black screen then takes me right back to the default file browser. I am guessing installer.dge is crashing. I did not see any logs in /var/log so I was wondering if you know of any logging area to look.
Is it possible I need to manually install your version of libsdl before attempting the process? Just curious if maybe the install is working ok and then when dmenu executes there is possibly a missing symbol somewhere and causing the crash. I only mention this because when attempting to use the .sh scripts to to launch the included emulators I seem to get the same results.

Thanks for any advice, and appreciate all the effort.

m1024

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:28:32 pm »
Tried the newest build, but installing the menu failed: Black screen for 1 second, then back to the default menu. I even tried the newer sdlfix (2018-02-03) instead of the one from the zip files (2018-01-26).

Running apps and emulators manually from file browser:
- cfeu320: runs, duplicated screen
- gpsp: runs, duplicated screen
- picodrive: runs, half screen
- fbasdl: freezes file browser, requires reset
- sdlgnuboy: returns to file browser
- sms_sdl: : returns to file browser
- snes9x4d: returns to file browser

Hope this helps to fix it  :)
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »
Please check your installer folder. There should be a stdout.txt and stderr.txt. Post the content here. The logs are in the installer folder because /var/log is read only.

For the emulators: They are not standalone and have no rom browser. They are called with a rom as a parameter from a menu system like dmenu

VampireHunter_D

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:58:01 pm »
Jack83 thanks for the reply. There were no stdout.txt and stderr.txt files getting created. I thought that was weird so I took a look at install.dge and remount.sh and they seemed logically fine. So on a hunch I checked the line endings and noticed they were set to Windows. Looking through the contents of the dmenu folder there were a decent number of scripts that had the wrong line endings. I changed all of them to Unix and tried the install again and it appears to have worked.
Noticing that the alternative NeoGeo/CPS1/CPS2 seems to be crashing at launch but other than that everything seems to be working great. Thanks for all the hard work and effort.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:00:17 am by VampireHunter_D »

m1024

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:28:51 am »
@VampireHunter_D Thanks, it works now ;)

@Jack83 I played around with the menu/theme configuration and found a structure like this to be more user friendly:

- Emulators (new custom emulators)
- Default Emulators (that came with the device)
- Games
- Media
  - Images
  - Videos
  - Music
- Settings

This way, the emulators and games are easier to access and the media stuff is compacted. The attached zip contains the theme folder to try it out. I also exchanged some icons to make it look cleaner.
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

DKL3

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:39:47 pm »
Yeah the dmenu does not work on my Rs-97 either. would you like to post your fix, VampireHunter_D?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:41:41 pm by DKL3 »

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:04 am »
Argh, found the error. Git was changing the line endings on commit / pull. No wonder they kept breaking  ???
I will upload a repack later today

chicanery

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:53:40 pm »
Great to see people working on these new(ish) handhelds, I still use my A320 for GBA games.

I bought a K3P from Amazon, tried installing dmenu. The install seemed to go okay, machine boots to the new menu, but I get some issues:

- Selecting Alternative CPS1, CPS2, Neogeo takes me to a file list, selecting any game takes me to a black screen and freezes the machine
- Selecting any of the other Alternative emulators takes me to an empty file list, pressing anything but 'B' to go back takes me to a balck screen and freezes the machine
- The stock emulators still work, apart from GBA which has the same behaviour described above
- Quitting from stock emulators back to dmenu often freezes the machine which requires a power down
- Going back to stock menu, everything works as before

I've tried reflashing the internal card from an image and installing dmenu again, but get the same behaviour.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious, would really like to get decent SNES emulation out of this thing!

kapster

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:17 pm »
Great to see people working on these new(ish) handhelds, I still use my A320 for GBA games.

I bought a K3P from Amazon, tried installing dmenu. The install seemed to go okay, machine boots to the new menu, but I get some issues:

- Selecting Alternative CPS1, CPS2, Neogeo takes me to a file list, selecting any game takes me to a black screen and freezes the machine
- Selecting any of the other Alternative emulators takes me to an empty file list, pressing anything but 'B' to go back takes me to a balck screen and freezes the machine
- The stock emulators still work, apart from GBA which has the same behaviour described above
- Quitting from stock emulators back to dmenu often freezes the machine which requires a power down
- Going back to stock menu, everything works as before

I've tried reflashing the internal card from an image and installing dmenu again, but get the same behaviour.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious, would really like to get decent SNES emulation out of this thing!

I think the Amazon units have a slightly different OS with a different file structure. I had the same problem with my Amazon unit and I had a slightly different UI and demo media files than the other units people have showed on here. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), mine died the first day I had it where the power light would go on but the display would never turn on, and when I returned it I ended up going with the RS-97 instead which I feel has better build quality and feel.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
If the devices really have different files than we have a problem.

But I think this is just a simple path problem. I may have used my personal setup as
template for the paths where the roms are. Just open the dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg
 and put in the correct paths for you. Mine are on the external sdcard.

For the fba arcade emulator, you need another rom set. The old ones on the devices are not working

chicanery

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 12:19:45 pm »
Yep, that's fixed it, all working now, thanks!

I'm not sure about the Amazon ones having different files, but I ended up reflashing my internal card from the image here and it's still working.

Sound on GBA is still awful though, is the RS-97 a better all rounder?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 01:17:51 pm »
When Steward finishes his software for the RS97,
I will port it over to the K3P. Performance should be the same

Hagane023

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 12:12:33 pm »
Amazing work, Took me the time to copy files to a micro sd card to do. My RS 97 is now getting better. Cannot wait for emulator optimisations and once again, thank you, your work is very much appreciated Jack83

rojblake

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 04:27:57 pm »
How to install the emulators from emulators_RS97.zip i copied the emulators folder to the root of the external sd card but nothing happened

rojblake

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 04:39:11 pm »
Never mind got it ;)

Princebatman

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 06:15:45 am »

2. Advice: Make a backup of your internal sd-card! You can use the backup.dge in sd-card/dmenu/installer to do this. It will take some time and has only a black screen.
You need at least 4gb space on the sd-card. This step is not required, but the installation of this dmenu will alter internal partitions and having a backup is a good idea!

Hello Jack,  just got my k3 and wanted to give this a go.  I can't find the backup.dge in the installer folder for the k3. 

dskmusic

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 09:29:59 pm »
some way to install in "internal memory"? so dont use another sd card.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:26:08 pm by dskmusic »

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 07:45:54 am »
The backup.dge can be found here: https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/installer/backup.dge
I did not pack it in the release for the K3P

The menu could in theory installed in the internal memory but the path is currently hard coded. A 16gb card is about 7?, that should not be a problem. The external card is used as an easy way to go back to the old menu and fix possible configuration errors

Post a new topic