Author Topic: Powkiddy V90 - GBA SP style Pocketgo  (Read 3363 times)

lemmywinks (OP)

Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Fishfan

Re: Powkiddy V90 - GBA SP style Pocketgo
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 06:17:57 am »
Hi all,
I just got my v90. Come with 16GB Netac micro SD card. When I plug SD card to window PC, it show only 3 files and SD capacity so small, not 16GB. Is the game ROMs in SD or internal ROM of device?
What is the easier way to add games?

vermillion

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 07:38:46 am »
That is the Boot partition you are seeing. All the game files are stored in the main partition. Try to eject the sd card and reinsert or try another card reader.

Fishfan

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 08:04:32 am »
That is the Boot partition you are seeing. All the game files are stored in the main partition. Try to eject the sd card and reinsert or try another card reader.
Tq. Will try. Maybe windows can't retrieve.

Jindofox

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 04:09:20 pm »
Yes, Windows doesn't read this device's Unix filesystem like a Linux or Mac computer can. I suggest a linux VM like VirtualBox for handling data on this card if you only have a Windows PC.

Fishfan

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »
Yes, Windows doesn't read this device's Unix filesystem like a Linux or Mac computer can. I suggest a linux VM like VirtualBox for handling data on this card if you only have a Windows PC.
Only HV window 7. Virtual box OK, I try.

bamboori

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »
got mine today as well :)
got it from aliexpress for a bit under $30 and it came with a 32gb card.

pro tip: the screen protector thingy foil on the screen is pretty thick and probably not supposed to be peeled off... whoops :P

loving the cfw progress, Jutleys!
Handhelds:
Powkiddy V90, FC3000, X2, LDK vertical, PMP IV, RS-90...

chevette

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 12:53:28 am »
got mine today as well :)
got it from aliexpress for a bit under $30 and it came with a 32gb card.

pro tip: the screen protector thingy foil on the screen is pretty thick and probably not supposed to be peeled off... whoops :P

loving the cfw progress, Jutleys!

It's a pretty cool little device, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm using PocketGo.V1.3.2 firmware on it. Is there new firmware for it???

bamboori

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 01:52:21 pm »
It's a pretty cool little device, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm using PocketGo.V1.3.2 firmware on it. Is there new firmware for it???

ah no, i was referring to that one ^^
Handhelds:
Powkiddy V90, FC3000, X2, LDK vertical, PMP IV, RS-90...

Pingouin

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 02:01:07 pm »
Received mine this week:
+ GBA SP shell.
+ 3in IPS screen.
+ Has an additional "MENU" button.
+ D pad and ABXY buttons are good enough, so the device does a reasonable job at gaming.
+ USB C charger, although personally I'd have been fine with micro USB since I've got loads.
+ Unlike a RS-97, microSD card is accessible.
- Built quality feels mediocre, the case doesn't feel as good quality as my RS-97 that I sold.
- Screen hinge is nowhere near as good as a GBA SP. It does more like a "crack" noise (like when crack a bone joint) than a satisfyingly subtle "click" like the SP. I've seen videos on Youtube of people finding it satisfying, so not sure if I got a lemon.
- The screen has some shadowing issue: if you fire up an app that starts with a mostly black screen, you'll still see a shadow of what was displayed before. It takes several seconds to fade away.
- The shoulder buttons are a bit crap: the L1/R1 buttons are nowhere near as good sa a GBA. I wish they didn't bother with L2/R2 and just make bigger L1/R1 buttons, which hopefully would have made them feel more solid and responsive. It's particularly annoying considering they are required to navigate Gmenu2x.
- The power button feels very weak too, like it's going to fall apart any minute.
- Same with the volume control: it feels very cheap, and is difficult to adjust. It goes from too low to too loud very quickly.
- The speakers feel crap too, the kind of crackling you'd get from an old speaker that has some dust in the coil.
- Only way I could find to access/update files is to put the card in a card reader, make "main" partition accessible, do your file ops, make "boot" accessible again, eject card and put it back in the V90, so very tedious. I couldn't access the card via USB from either Windows 10 or Linux in Virtualbox. It just doesn't detect any storage, whether the device is on or off.

Unsure about whether the Allwinner ARM9 is better or worse than an Ingenic MIPS. The device seems to have similar performance and battery life.
All in all, it does work acceptably well, just like a 1985 Vauxhall Nova will take you to Tesco. But there are probably (I don't have any) much better products out there, although not at this price tag and not in clamshell format.

I installed PowKiddy_Q90_V90_Only_CFW_v1.3.3_04-10-20.img yesterday, and to be fair, I didn't really notice major changes/improvements compared to the stock firmware. Maybe if I knew where the differences lie, I'd notice them.

Finally, someone said they're not sure if the film on the screen is supposed to be removed, so even though it bubbles in a couple of corners on mine, I didn't pull it out. I also saw one on eBay on which the screen was scratched, accordingly to the buyer while attempting to remove the film. I'd appreciate if someone could confirm if it's as removable protective film.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:06:39 pm by Pingouin »

LauweLoempia

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 01:04:25 pm »
I have removed mine but the difference in screen clarity is minimal and it is a pain to get is of the screen as the edge and corners are within the plastic shell. I would not take the trouble: just try to push the bubble to the edge of the screen with a soft tool/ wooden toothpick...

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Pingouin

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 04:27:06 pm »
just try to push the bubble to the edge of the screen with a soft tool/ wooden toothpick...

Thanks, I'll try that.
And you're right: I saw a review on Youtube and he said he had to take the screen bezel off to take out the film completely! I'm not doing that.