Author Topic: pocketgo gpsp Pokemon Clover slow and doesn't save  (Read 584 times)

ceratophyllum (OP)

pocketgo gpsp Pokemon Clover slow and doesn't save
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:19:38 pm »
I know PocketGo doesn't have an Ingenic SoC, but Im' not sure where to ask about PocketGo/Bittboy Allwinner-based consoles....

The version of gpsp that comes with the Sept. 19th cfw doesn't run Pokemon Clover very well.

I'm sure I have a correctly patched ROM because it works in a real GBA (Everdrive X5) and I applied the IPS patch myself to the correct version of Pokemon Fire Red. As a further check, I compared my patched rom to the one you can download at gbahacks.blogspot.com and diff says the file matches.

Anyway, the problem is that the game is slow and does not save. The ROM header of the game has the same info as the original Fire Red.  Other Fire Red-based hacks are working OK, so I am wondering what's the problem. Using the original gba_bios.bin  or the Normatt version doesn't make any difference.

When you first start the game, it complains that the save type is not Flash 128k but I'm unsure whether this can be set with this emulator.  Does this version of gpsp still use game_config.txt ? It doesn't create ~/.gpsp.  I'm assuming it probably looks in / writes to  ~/emus/gpsp for all its files? It writes saves there, but there's no game_config.txt

Where in github is the source to this version of gpsp?
Current-ish Handhelds: All (3)DS(i) (XL) models, OpenPandora
Classic Handhelds: All GB(A) models
RS-97: Retrogame, RG Plus, PAP KIII Plus,  RG300, LDK (portrait)
other: PocketGo, Retrostone, Revo K101 Plus (GBA hardware clone)
----------
Glad I sold that GCW0 before it fell apart!
Should have sold that Retromini RS-90 before it broke!

ceratophyllum (OP)

Re: pocketgo gpsp Pokemon Clover slow and doesn't save
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »
Well, the problem is sort of solved.  I downloaded the bittboy/pocketgo buildroot and compiled the version of gpsp found here:

https://github.com/bittboy/gpsp

This version of gpsp saves in Pokemon Clover but still skips and slows down.

Still don't know where the one in the "official firmware" came from....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:13:42 pm by ceratophyllum »
----------

jbanes

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 04:51:04 pm »
Still don't know where the one in the "official firmware" came from....

Official firmware: https://github.com/TriForceX/MiyooCFW

ceratophyllum (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:49:18 pm »
Sorry, I do not see anything about gpsp or any other emulator source in the quote below. Just the kernel, bootloader, menu, and a few homebrew games.

Perhaps I misspoke calling gpsp part of the "firmware."  Regardless of semantics, I still don't understand why Pokemon Clover runs slowly but Fire Red is fine. Probably Clover needs some different game-specific voodoo in game_config.txt .

Official firmware: https://github.com/TriForceX/MiyooCFW

----------

gameblabla

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:07 am »
The reason why is simple : most bittboys don't come with the updated CFW.
I had, as you noticed, released an updated version of GPSP which fixed the save issues and more.
It's also faster than compiling straight from the Makefile because i profiled it :
https://gameblabla.nl/files/ipk/bittboy/gpsp_gameblabla_v3_rumble_mapping.zip

I still don't understand why Pokemon Clover runs slowly but Fire Red is fine. Probably Clover needs some different game-specific voodoo in game_config.txt.
If Doom 2 GBA runs slow, then you can expect hacks like Clover to not run smoothly... You can also overclock to 798, if your bittboy can that is.

ceratophyllum (OP)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 02:34:59 pm »
Thanks for this.  Sorry I did not notice for a while.  I'm getting frustrated with there being so many RG handhelds coming out.  So often the new one is only a little bit better (RG300 after LDK) or a lot worse (RG-Plus and PAPKIIIPlus vs. original Retrogame ).

It isn't that hard to put CFW on N3DS anymore and the price of N3DS is getting low.  Not sure if I will continue using "Retrogame" devices, as it was the simplicity--compared to flashcarts and the wacky things you had to do to hack a 3DS just a few years ago-- of the Retrogame that drew my interest. Either the price of new RG systems has to go down or the quality has to go up because there's a glut of used Nintendo handhelds out there and CFW is now pretty easy.  For now, I give up on Retro Games.
----------

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 02:43:48 pm »
It isn't that hard to put CFW on N3DS anymore and the price of N3DS is getting low.
The 3DS (until now that is) had very bad performance in PCSX Rearmed compared to PCSX4ALL...
In my opinion the homebrew scene in the N3DS was pretty desolate outside of emulators.

Of course, they love to shit RG devices to the point of confusion its frustrating and everyone called them on that.
Luckily that's about (i hope) to change with the RG-350 and soon enough, the 350H and PocketGo 2. (and yes, they are actually more powerful than the New 3DS and much better than the old JZ4760 devices)

The PocketGo was pretty bad (and still, the CFW situation on that device is chaotic) so yeah, bad luck there. I know, everyone went there. But the 3DS is not that good either. (and in my opinion its still painful to install the CFW on the 3DS, that was just a few months ago before i sold it).

Anyway, if you feel like returning whenever it is the PocketGo or RS-97, you should ask more questions or join a discord server like Retro Games @ GZNetwork.

Post a new topic