Author Topic: PocketGo 2 - PSP Analog Stick mod  (Read 1242 times)

akaVanguard (OP)

PocketGo 2 - PSP Analog Stick mod
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »
Now that i fixed the DPAD and Buttons not registering on my PG2 i thought i should do something about the analog stick.
The original is slippery and unpleasant to use imho, so i looked into replacements.

Sadly i couldnt find any drop-in replacements, but the PSP sticks are very close.
All i had to do was dremel away a little bit on the sides of the hole on the PSP analog sticks.
Modified PSP Stick on the left, original stick in the middle and an unmodified PSP stick on the right for comparison.

The PSP stick is a lot less slippery thanks to the grooves etched into the top and using it doesnt hurt the thumb.
Definitely an improvement.

And here is the finished product:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:14:47 pm by akaVanguard »

jccweb

Re: PocketGo 2 - PSP Analog Stick mod
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:57:43 pm »
I'm really interested in this subject since my joystick is completely useless. Apart from spinning the movement is not fluid and using as mouse is stuck forcing one direction.

I found these alternatives which I'm not sure will fit the PG2 and work:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958017132.html

I had a psp2000 and the joystick was great and really playable, if you managed to replaced the original with it, can you explain the procedure a bit more? I'm a bit confused with that image you posted.

thanks

akaVanguard (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 07:28:30 pm »
@jccweb  First off, if you wish to do the mod i did you wont need the item you found on aliexpress.
I did not replace the PCB for the joystick.
I just bought a psp 1000 analog stick cap.
like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32837870930.html

and then dremeled the opening on the bottom of that particular cap a bit bigger.

the dremel i use is a fairly cheap model by tacklife which comes with quite a few accessories.
link: https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-PCG01B-3-7V-Cordless-Rotary/dp/B075N68KRZ

i bought mine on german amazon, but the model linked here is the same one.
I would advise practicing a bit first tho.
Using a dremel isn't difficult, just takes a bit of practice.

I am currently working on adapting a 3DS circle pad for the PG2 as well because there isnt enough matrial to make the hole big enough, so i am using epoxy which needs to dry before i can dremel into that.
Just fyi. Not all epoxies are suitable for dremeling, btw. Just in case someone likes to try their hands on this as well.

jccweb

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 12:02:36 am »
Thank you, I might try something like that.
But about the joystick itself, if Bittboy doesn't help me, can I replace the joystick? Is it doable? That one I posted will do?

akaVanguard (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 02:30:43 am »
Thank you, I might try something like that.
But about the joystick itself, if Bittboy doesn't help me, can I replace the joystick? Is it doable? That one I posted will do?

Sorry. No idea if thats the correct part.

Vinc3Has3

• The Not Sane For Work Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:45 pm »
I bought these silicone grips. They help:

Gametown 5 PCS Silicone Thumb Grip Stick Joystick Cover Caps For Sony PSP 1000 2000 3000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725V2Z3V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZLLxEb16JFX7P

US Amazon. Not an affiliate link.

lemmywinks

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:04:12 pm »
I'm really interested in this subject since my joystick is completely useless. Apart from spinning the movement is not fluid and using as mouse is stuck forcing one direction.

I found these alternatives which I'm not sure will fit the PG2 and work:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958017132.html

I had a psp2000 and the joystick was great and really playable, if you managed to replaced the original with it, can you explain the procedure a bit more? I'm a bit confused with that image you posted.

thanks

I bought these hoping they will be better than the unusable stick that is in there, don't know what other people's PG2 sticks are like but mine is very poor and movement is imprecise. You can see in the input test app how jerky it is, the Odroid Go Advance looks the same from what I have seen:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978017809.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f034c4dzHuGl6

Looks like they have the 2x3 sets of horizontal pins at 90 degrees like the original one, probably still won't be smooth though. Tbh the PSP's analog was pretty much junk as well, something like a 3DS slider would be better as that has smooth gradual movement.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

jccweb

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:32:22 am »
Yes, my hope is that although not perfect, I end up with a better analog stick. Mine has probably the same issue as yours. It feels a little broken inside, I have to push it several times to go left. I mean when using it as mouse. In input test app I move it fully left but mouse cursor stops at middle for a coffee and eventually makes the rest of the way... or not sometimes. So using it as mouse is ruined for me, it takes several seconds to land where I want.

No one answered me if I would be able to switch them with those from aliexpress. Not bitboy, not retromimi, no one. They asked for a video instead and mention they probably had no replacement parts in warehouse. Nice support.

Dosbox and amiga are incomplete in these handhelds though, so, I'll probably wait for the next big thing.

lemmywinks

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 01:28:24 pm »
Yes, my hope is that although not perfect, I end up with a better analog stick. Mine has probably the same issue as yours. It feels a little broken inside, I have to push it several times to go left. I mean when using it as mouse. In input test app I move it fully left but mouse cursor stops at middle for a coffee and eventually makes the rest of the way... or not sometimes. So using it as mouse is ruined for me, it takes several seconds to land where I want.

No one answered me if I would be able to switch them with those from aliexpress. Not bitboy, not retromimi, no one. They asked for a video instead and mention they probably had no replacement parts in warehouse. Nice support.

Just a quick one - the analogs I ordered turned up today, these ones:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978017809.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f034c4dzHuGl6

Not an exact fit but incredibly close, I had to file a little off each corner bit aside from that it is pretty much drop in. The height is correct, the pins line up and the original analog cap fits fine.

The good news is that it works perfectly and is definitely smoother than the original, far less jumpy although still not comparable to a proper analog stick. The bad news is that mouse functionality is still not working as it should in the test app so it looks like this is a software issue maybe?

Either way it's better than the original.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

jccweb

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:57:44 pm »
Thank you! That's good enough for me now. My analog stick is crap, totally unplayable, if that's a better one, that's already great. I bought the PG2 instead of the RG350 because those huge analog sticks in 350 seamed awkward to me and could get in the way of the buttons and ruin the experience. Turns out PG2 analog is rubbish, sound is bad and loud, d-pad and buttons are not much responsive... and now RG350 can be modded with perfect analogs..., none of those issues, stereo sound, wifi, hdmi... damn...

lemmywinks

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 01:48:40 pm »
The latest version of Rogue Firmware has added a master level to alsa mixer which improves the overly loud settings.
Handhelds:
PC: