Author Topic: POCKET GO 2 "ROGUE" OFW  (Read 42111 times)

RupeeClock

Re: POCKET GO 2 "ROGUE" OFW
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2020, 01:12:49 am »
I just got a PocketGo2 Rev 2 (Has reset button + colored buttons). I'm confused about the available Firmware for this device. I installed the RG-350 BASE v1.5 231019 firmware which worked fine, but when I install any of the updates, it always fails. Anybody has any suggestions????

Did you try the Rogue firmware developed for RG 350?
https://boards.dingoonity.org/retro-game-350rg-350/rg350-'rogue'-cfw/

It seems like PocketGo2 v2 might need its own firmware that's forked from RG 350, or moded or something because PocketGo2 v2 doesn't have a second analogue or a wifi module.
Thanks for your response......I used the rg350-flasher-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk to do the update and it worked fine on my PocketGo2 (Rev2). It took a long time (30+ minutes) but it worked great. When I used the rg350-update-1.7.9.9-2020-04-25.opk update file it would install OK, but crash after the 1st reboot, then all subsequent reboots would crash.

That sounds like you actually tried to update from a newer version (2020-05-10) to an older version (2020-04-25), which might explain why it did not work correctly after rebooting.
Were you able to return to the previous working version by holding X or Y, or a combination of them when booting the device? I forget which button combinations boot what exactly, if it's kernal, firmware, etc, but it's something to that effect.

chevette

« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2020, 02:05:07 am »
I just got a PocketGo2 Rev 2 (Has reset button + colored buttons). I'm confused about the available Firmware for this device. I installed the RG-350 BASE v1.5 231019 firmware which worked fine, but when I install any of the updates, it always fails. Anybody has any suggestions????

It seems like PocketGo2 v2 might need its own firmware that's forked from RG 350, or moded or something because PocketGo2 v2 doesn't have a second analogue or a wifi module.
Thanks for your response......I used the rg350-flasher-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk to do the update and it worked fine on my PocketGo2 (Rev2). It took a long time (30+ minutes) but it worked great. When I used the rg350-update-1.7.9.9-2020-04-25.opk update file it would install OK, but crash after the 1st reboot, then all subsequent reboots would crash.

That sounds like you actually tried to update from a newer version (2020-05-10) to an older version (2020-04-25), which might explain why it did not work correctly after rebooting.
Were you able to return to the previous working version by holding X or Y, or a combination of them when booting the device? I forget which button combinations boot what exactly, if it's kernal, firmware, etc, but it's something to that effect.
Sorry but I pasted the wrong patch in my comment.....it really was rg350-update-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk which wouldn't install without crashing. rg350-flasher-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk worked for me. Sorry but I didn't try to uninstall with the method you mentioned (was not aware of it. So now I'm running RG350 firmware "Rogue" edition ----- Update firmware 1.7.9.9R on my PocketGo 2 (Ver2) and so far it is working without any issues.

phil8715

« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:23 pm »
Is there plans to put on Rogue Connect and Rogue Store like on the RG-350?

Does the PG2 have any wireless capabilities like the RG-350?

RupeeClock

« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2020, 03:53:05 am »
Is there plans to put on Rogue Connect and Rogue Store like on the RG-350?

Does the PG2 have any wireless capabilities like the RG-350?

The PG2 doesn't have any wireless capabilities, no wireless hardware is present.

PocketGo 2 is basically a GCW Zero clone, with some of the less important hardware left out.

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:59 am »
UPDATE 1.0.8:

-NEW-

Added PocketGo2 v2 platform.

NOTE: PG2 and PG2V2 has differents bootloader, kernel and mapped keys. Install your correct version please.

-SOUND-

Finally, all sounds problems is fixed, yes, fixed, now the default volume control is Master, and the volumen keys works with this, anyway, you can change the pcm and heardphones values is you wish and the console save the changes for the next reboot.

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2020, 10:07:46 am »

Sorry but I pasted the wrong patch in my comment.....it really was rg350-update-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk which wouldn't install without crashing. rg350-flasher-1.7.9.9R-2020-05-10.opk worked for me. Sorry but I didn't try to uninstall with the method you mentioned (was not aware of it. So now I'm running RG350 firmware "Rogue" edition ----- Update firmware 1.7.9.9R on my PocketGo 2 (Ver2) and so far it is working without any issues.

the fw for PocketGo2 v2 is already, enjoy. beer in the first messange thread

Rican7

• Trevor Suarez
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2020, 08:03:01 pm »
Hi OP / @Ninoh-FOX !

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your hard work on these devices and firmwares!

I just got my PlayGo last week and, well maybe I just have good timing haha, but you've already addressed every "issue" that I had with the device. (The sound/volume control being the latest)

Thank you so much!

I'm loving this little device!

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2020, 08:22:51 pm »
Hi OP / @Ninoh-FOX !

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your hard work on these devices and firmwares!

I just got my PlayGo last week and, well maybe I just have good timing haha, but you've already addressed every "issue" that I had with the device. (The sound/volume control being the latest)

Thank you so much!

I'm loving this little device!

Thanks!!

RupeeClock

« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2020, 02:42:04 am »
My aluminium PocketGo2 V2 arrived today, and I got Rogue v1.0.8 installed on it, as well as on my older PocketGo2.
The volume fix is fantastic and controlling the master volume with the volume -/+ is great, thank you for the hard work!

chevette

« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2020, 01:04:00 pm »
Thank you!!!

Ninoh-FOX (OP)

« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:04 pm »
My aluminium PocketGo2 V2 arrived today, and I got Rogue v1.0.8 installed on it, as well as on my older PocketGo2.
The volume fix is fantastic and controlling the master volume with the volume -/+ is great, thank you for the hard work!

How of better is the aluminium version?

RupeeClock

« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2020, 11:09:07 pm »

How of better is the aluminium version?

I need more time with it but I would definitely say that the d-pad is improved for the better. I don't feel the need to mod it. The face buttons have also been reliable.
The analogue slider is also improved but still unreliable, I would not use it still as it's prone to failing to input directions, particular bottom left.
The mono speaker is the same as before, it still produces a constant low volume hiss when PCM is not muted.
A side effect of using the volume keys to mute the master volume means that it does not turn off the hiss.
The shoulder buttons are comfortable to use, but do rattle a bit and can be a little noisy.
The power and volume buttons have a more flush fit on the top, but this does make it more difficult to use them, especially when using power key combinations.
The menu/select/start buttons are identical to before, including the minor issue where pressing the top of the start button in a particular way can register as pressing select.
The reset button on the bottom is handy and hasn't been a problem yet, but I'm worried that I might accidentally hit it whilst my device is turned on as it is not a flush fit.
The microSD cards on the bottom are also still not a flush fit.
A rumble feature is installed and works well, haven't tried any software that uses it other than PocketGo2 v2 test.
The LCD screen appears to be the same as the previous version, with a warm color temperature.

Overall it's a definite improvement over the previous unit, the build quality is much better, but the power button being difficult to operate is a slight bother.

Rushy

« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2020, 01:40:05 am »
Hey Rupee, where are you located?  I put my order in day one and can't wait to get the new unit.

AlphaPepe

« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:33 am »
Thanks for the nice CFW. It's working perfectly on my v2.  ;D

RupeeClock

« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:04 am »
Hey Rupee, where are you located?  I put my order in day one and can't wait to get the new unit.

I'm in the UK.
I placed my order on May 12th, it dispatched on May 19th, and it arrived on May 27th.

Under the circumstances of where it ships from and the ongoing global situation, this was much sooner than expected.

nekomichi

« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2020, 03:23:47 pm »
Update: SOLVED! Turns out I needed to download the V2.1's kernel source separately and work from there.
Here's the custom boot logo if anyone's curious:

Here's the original post for the sake of context:

Thanks for your work on this CFW!

I tried to make my own custom boot screen by compiling a kernel update from the source based on the instructions from the github page, while the custom kernel installed fine and my custom boot screen now works, I noticed that some of the keys are mapped differently or don't work.

I am currently using a PocketGo V2.1 but the instructions only seem to mention:
Code: [Select]
$ make ARCH=mips pocketgo2_defconfig
Is this the universal config for both the V2 and V2.1? Or have I used the wrong config? Currently L2 and R2 no longer work properly, pressing L2 registers as L1 whereas pressing L1 and R2 are no longer detected in the PocketGo button test app. The volume buttons are also no longer detected and the analog stick is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise (pushing up is registered as left on the tester).

Can someone please let me know what I've done wrong here? For now, I have reverted back to the original kernel.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:33:51 am by nekomichi »

AlphaPepe

« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2020, 03:17:52 am »
Lol, I made a thread about the PocketGo v2 on 4chan's /vr/ (retro games) board and they really seem to hate this thing. No idea why.

suanlafendj

« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2020, 09:17:37 am »
Thank you!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

suanlafendj

« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2020, 04:06:32 am »
thank you. run very well

Rushy

« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2020, 02:12:08 am »
Update: SOLVED! Turns out I needed to download the V2.1's kernel source separately and work from there.
Here's the custom boot logo if anyone's curious:

Here's the original post for the sake of context:

Thanks for your work on this CFW!

I tried to make my own custom boot screen by compiling a kernel update from the source based on the instructions from the github page, while the custom kernel installed fine and my custom boot screen now works, I noticed that some of the keys are mapped differently or don't work.

I am currently using a PocketGo V2.1 but the instructions only seem to mention:
Code: [Select]
$ make ARCH=mips pocketgo2_defconfig
Is this the universal config for both the V2 and V2.1? Or have I used the wrong config? Currently L2 and R2 no longer work properly, pressing L2 registers as L1 whereas pressing L1 and R2 are no longer detected in the PocketGo button test app. The volume buttons are also no longer detected and the analog stick is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise (pushing up is registered as left on the tester).

Can someone please let me know what I've done wrong here? For now, I have reverted back to the original kernel.

I don't have the expertise to help but thank you for your work, hope you're able to get it working properly.  Really not a fan of the rogue boot and I wish it was easier to change or we could switch it for something more neutral.