Author Topic: POCKET GO 2 "ROGUE" OFW  (Read 38700 times)

Vinc3Has3

• The Not Sane For Work Podcast
Re: POCKET GO 2 "ROGUE" OFW
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2020, 07:59:10 pm »
I just tested stock and can confirm that there is some kind of bug going on with the 1.0.2 rogue OFW. The issue can be replicated with the button testing app. Basically what happens is that R2 does not register when I give it a single press, but if I do a double/triple press really quickly, it registers once. I've notice this issue is not apparent in the PG2 stock firmware.

Edit: Just wanted to say thank you for your work on the rogue ofw, it is much appreciated.

I can confirm that I have this same exact bug in 1.0.2.  My R2 button never registers on the first press, but if I hit it two times in a row it will then register on the second press.  Can also confirm this behavior carries over to emulators as well.

Not to be annoying, but I have two units, and can't replicate that problem at all.  :)

Could it be a board revision? My units are the ones with the extra two screws in the back (2 in the battery compartment, and 4 on the outer back). One is the white PocketGo, and the other is the black PlayGo. Do you have the earlier version?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:42:45 am by Vinc3Has3 »

godofrandomness

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2020, 08:27:45 pm »
Could it be a board revision? My units are the ones with the extra two screws in the back (2 in the battery compartment, and 4 on the outer back). One is the white PocketGo, and the other is the black PlayGo. Do you have the earlier version?

Mine is the white Pocketgo with the 4 outer screws and 2 inner battery screws, and it is affected by the R2 bug
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:56:38 pm by godofrandomness »

SkyingHigh

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2020, 01:01:39 am »

Mine is the white Pocketgo with the 4 outer screws and 2 inner battery screws, and it is affected by the R2 bug

I too have a PocketGo with 4 outer screws and 2 inner battery screws. I did a little more testing and it seems the input tester works fine when I boot it up after the device had been off for a while. The R2 not registering issue only happens once I start playing games on an app. Someone on reddit also had this issue with the Quake app on it. I think it is a bug in Rogue OFW 1.0.2 because I am unable to replicate the issue with the stock firmware.

lemmywinks

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2020, 01:58:36 am »
Actually just tested mine in RR4 and R2 isn't working to shift gears, works fine in input testing though.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

fuma218

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2020, 02:25:49 am »
@Ninoh-FOX I also would like to say thanks for your work on bringing this to the PocketGo.  The few issues I had with my device on the stock FW seem to have gone away once I installed yours!

One thing I would like to ask about is the overall system volume.  Is there any way you can set the default system volume to something like 25-50%?  The device is so loud by default that I usually just have it set 1 "click" above being off and it's still very loud.  This can be mitigated a little by if the emulator has a master volume control, but some like PocketSNES have no built in audio control. 

Thanks again for the work you've put into this!

Unfortunately, the volume seems to be a hardware thing, at the end of the month I will look at how you can lower the sound of the speaker by hardmod and post it.

@Ninoh-FOX - Just wanted to take a moment and thank you for moving your Rogue FW to the new PocketGo - I hope they gave you a little more than just the handheld for your efforts!

Also, let me know if you have any donation/payment links - I?m not made of money, but I?ll gladly buy you a beer...  ;)

I go to post my paypal.me in the first page

I've been able to significantly lower the volume by using a 220 resistor on the speakers positive wire. Makes a big difference.
When I get back home I can open it and take some pictures.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2020, 03:28:54 am »
NOT RESIZE WITH THE PC!! The console has autoresize.

If you resize with the pc you broken the partition tablet and then bootloop
still rebooting

ace9094

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »

Gmenu2x now can show two type of previews (put in /(romsdir)/.previews/).

I have 2 questions if I may...

1) Do you think it is possible to add "Animated GIF" to your next release of Rogue CFW ?  I would like to use something like GIF below. I have lots of Videos I can convert for almost all of the systems supported on the RG-350 and PocketGo 2 :)

2) When adding the previews to /roms/.previews/ do you create sub folders the same same as the roms?

Example:
/roms/PSX
/roms/SNES

/roms/.previews/PSX
/roms/.previews/SNES
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:32:29 pm by ace9094 »
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

mab1376

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2020, 06:47:02 pm »
Is the local pack from the rg350 compatible with this image? or do the OPKs need to be ported?

e.g. https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/RG-350/localpack/

amujee

New install
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2020, 12:11:07 am »
I'm doing a brand new install of firmware 1.0.2 on a new sd card. I format sd card twice with sd card formatter and then write the sd_image.bin file with win32diskimager? Do I need the kernel update opk file? Do I need to do anything else?

iball

Re: New install
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2020, 12:43:51 am »
I'm doing a brand new install of firmware 1.0.2 on a new sd card. I format sd card twice with sd card formatter and then write the sd_image.bin file with win32diskimager? Do I need the kernel update opk file? Do I need to do anything else?
No.  Just put the micro-SD card in the device and turn it on and *wait* for it to completely finish and boot to the desktop.

Jenesis83

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2020, 07:34:22 am »
Does anyone have a step by step noob explanation of how to update the firmware? Everyone keeps not going into enough detail of what specifically needs to be done. Messing with the main SD card can brick the device so I don't want to mess it up. It can't be too complicated. Is anyone on here good at being clear and going into detail?

RupeeClock

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2020, 08:50:44 pm »
Does anyone have a step by step noob explanation of how to update the firmware? Everyone keeps not going into enough detail of what specifically needs to be done. Messing with the main SD card can brick the device so I don't want to mess it up. It can't be too complicated. Is anyone on here good at being clear and going into detail?

This is what I'd like as well. A simple guide for first installation and then updates.
Some questions I'd like answered:
  • Do you need to install Release 1.0.0 first and upgrade from there? Or can you install release 1.0.2 directly?
  • Does this require completely removing the stock firmware from the provided microSD card?
  • What files are used to install Rogue Firmware, and in what method?
  • What Windows software is used to install the firmware to a microSD?
  • What should someone expect after preparing the microSD on a Windows machine, inserting it into the Pocket Go 2, and powering it on?
  • What should someone avoid doing to prevent damaging or bricking the system?

For preparing a microSD on Windows, I saw that Win32 Disk Imager was recommended, but would something like Balena Etcher also work?

SkyingHigh

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:14 am »

This is what I'd like as well. A simple guide for first installation and then updates.
Some questions I'd like answered:
  • Do you need to install Release 1.0.0 first and upgrade from there? Or can you install release 1.0.2 directly?
  • Does this require completely removing the stock firmware from the provided microSD card?
  • What files are used to install Rogue Firmware, and in what method?
  • What Windows software is used to install the firmware to a microSD?
  • What should someone expect after preparing the microSD on a Windows machine, inserting it into the Pocket Go 2, and powering it on?
  • What should someone avoid doing to prevent damaging or bricking the system?

For preparing a microSD on Windows, I saw that Win32 Disk Imager was recommended, but would something like Balena Etcher also work?

You can just use the bin file for 1.0.2. I would suggest using a new micro sd card for the firmware in case you want to put the stock one back in (should anything go wrong.) BalenaEtcher is an easy to use software, you basically select the image file, then the drive for the sd card, and it'll do the rest. Aftwards you put the card into the system and it should expand the drive's space. Also note that the rogue firmware does not come with emulators other than psx and snes. You can find the opks and copy them back in yourself, I would suggest looking up how to do that if you aren't sure.

RupeeClock

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2020, 07:27:03 pm »
You can just use the bin file for 1.0.2. I would suggest using a new micro sd card for the firmware in case you want to put the stock one back in (should anything go wrong.) BalenaEtcher is an easy to use software, you basically select the image file, then the drive for the sd card, and it'll do the rest. Aftwards you put the card into the system and it should expand the drive's space. Also note that the rogue firmware does not come with emulators other than psx and snes. You can find the opks and copy them back in yourself, I would suggest looking up how to do that if you aren't sure.

Thanks, I've decided to order a 32GB microSD online to use for the Rogue firmware, and keep the original card with stock firmware on it.
I've used Balena Etcher before to prepare USB sticks for Batocera.linux, it's good software, and I'm familiar with acquiring and installing OPKs as I've done on the GCW Zero.

The installation process sounds straight forward then, but then what is the "Kernel update for 1.0.0" for? Is this needed at all?

zaper4life

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:41 am »
Am I the only one who bricked is device?
I tried multiple install methods with no success,
When I boot I go to black screen
I've found a stock image which seems to work but it sucks,
If anyone solved this issue please come back and tell!

Gaijin

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2020, 03:14:15 pm »
I just received my PocketGo 2 and straight out of the box the analog stick appears to be uncalibrated at -0.46 on the Y axis. Does the ROGUE FW fix that issue?

Also, can someone confirm that apps and emulators in these two locations work with the Pocket Go 2?
https://github.com/retrogamehandheld/OpenDingux/tree/master/Emulators
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gF5AHpe5V-o-G9FyzrhFJ2oTPBSBke50
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:16:35 pm by Gaijin »

adventureFAN

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2020, 03:48:15 pm »
I tested no every app & emulators but all I tested or using working.
My Handhelds: PS Vita, PSP (1000), New 3DS, NDS lite, GBA SP, GB Micro,
LCL Pi-Boy 3A+, GPD XD (Old), PowKiddy X18, RG350, PlayGo, GKD350H.

Favorite: Odroid Go Advance

Gaijin

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2020, 04:40:59 pm »
I installed Rogue 1.02 and the analog stick offset is now -0.33 on the Y axis now... Does this mean it is a hardware issue? This is really annoying since it makes any game that uses the analog stick (psx, some arcade ones) unplayable. The funny thing is that it doesn't affect GmenuX either in stock FW or Rogue.

Any ideas?

RupeeClock

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2020, 06:42:28 pm »
I installed Rogue 1.02 and the analog stick offset is now -0.33 on the Y axis now... Does this mean it is a hardware issue? This is really annoying since it makes any game that uses the analog stick (psx, some arcade ones) unplayable. The funny thing is that it doesn't affect GmenuX either in stock FW or Rogue.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately that does sound like you received a defective piece of hardware. I don't know if there's anything much you can do about that other than contact whoever you bought it from.

iball

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2020, 06:44:27 pm »

Any ideas?
They should be able to just send you out a replacement stick.  If you look at the mainboard itself you can see where they just screw into the board and are attached via a ribbon cable.  I'd check that cable and make sure it's properly inserted/secured to both the stick and the mainboard.

Post a new topic