Author Topic: PocketGo 2 - Unresponsive Buttons/Dpad permanent Fix  (Read 1088 times)

akaVanguard (OP)

PocketGo 2 - Unresponsive Buttons/Dpad permanent Fix
« on: February 18, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »
Like a lot of you i have done most of the recommended things to get my Dpad/Buttons to register properly especially when touching them lightly.
I had a short leg on my Dpad so i put a few layers of thin sticky tape on it and i cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol.
Those did help, but that didnt fix it.

I fixed it completely now tho and all i needed was a common household pencil.
Pencils contain graphite. Graphite conducts fairly well, so i opened up my PG2 and applied some graphite to the rubber parts that make contact when the buttons/dpad are pressed.
I used a fairly soft pencil (i used B, 2B/3B etc would be easier tho) and kept rubbing it gently and repeatedly over the pads until you see the grey deposits of graphite covering the rubber-part. Make sure the pencil doesn't have a pointy end or you are just gonna end up poking it.

The difference in responsiveness is night and day. Here is a picture of how it should look when done:

and now i am off to play some games with my newly fixed inputs  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:31:56 am by akaVanguard »

Panja

Re: PocketGo 2 - Unresponsive Buttons/Dpad permanent Fix
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:04:40 pm »
Good stuff!  8)
Will try this myself later on.

akaVanguard (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:19:06 pm »
Good stuff!  8)
Will try this myself later on.

Thats great! Would you drop a line here when you had some time to try it out?
Have a great day!

RupeeClock

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:18 am »
This sounds promising, but I worry that the graphite might wear off over time and affect the circuitry.

Might be better than adding small bits of paper to the buttons to try and reduce the travel needed.

akaVanguard (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:12 am »
@RupeeClock  True, over time it would have to be re-applied but that would be quite a while.
Did that on an old TV remote after the buttons stopped registering properly.
Must have been about two years now, still works fine. Board wasn't damaged either.
There are more permanent solutions out there. Usually sold as products to fix rubberdome keyboards or TV remotes.
Some of those adhere to the surface, but even those don't last forever.

I am just glad this works tbh.

ace9094

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:24 pm »
Nice... I love this house hold fixes... they are easier for the average joe to do :)

Great job !
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

akaVanguard (OP)

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:14:20 pm »
Thanks ace! Much appreciated!

krait

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:52:30 am »
I got this problem too, dpad leg is uneven
To fix it, I put a small amounts of super glue on every dpad legs, and sanded a bit to make it even

RupeeClock

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:22:51 pm »
I ended up doing the graphite fix, and it helped a lot, buttons are quite a bit more responsive, done together with a button lengthening thing I saw in a Taku Udon review, where the holes in the buttons are stuffed with a small bit of paper. Not going to be as ideal as gluing and sanding the buttons to even heights though, but I don't have the resources to do that handy.

The d-pad is still not perfect though, pressing down can be prone to accidentally registering left or right, especially since the d-pad is quite stubby.
I may need to do the taping fix as mentioned in this thread, if I have any electrical tape lying around the house anyway.

drbear

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:27 am »
I tried this method, however graphite on conductive plastic is easily to get off and need to do this again and again. I tried to use different conducting material and I found aluminium tape is the best and the cheapest thing to fix it.

1. You can cut the aluminium tape into 5mm*5mm small pieces and paste it on the d-pad conductive plastic.

2. In order to make it has better conductivity, you may try to paste two layers.

Mine one is fixed by this method, the d-pad and ABXY buttons work fine now. Thanks akaVanguard's idea, this inspiring me.

drbear

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 10:18:53 am »
I tried this method, however graphite on conductive plastic is easily to get off and need to do this again and again. I tried to use different conducting material and I found aluminium tape is the best and the cheapest thing to fix it.

1. You can cut the aluminium tape into 5mm*5mm small pieces and paste it on the d-pad conductive plastic.

2. In order to make it has better conductivity, you may try to paste two layers.

Mine one is fixed by this method, the d-pad and ABXY buttons work fine now. Thanks akaVanguard's idea, this inspiring me.

Sorry for missing photo:

Xaijiqq

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:21:00 pm »

have you tested fighting games yet?  curious if the dpad is now responsive enough to pull off shoryukens

drbear

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:23:51 pm »

have you tested fighting games yet?  curious if the dpad is now responsive enough to pull off shoryukens

Sure, I used SF2 and KOF98 to test the fixed machine. The sensitivity of d-pad and ABXY are much better now.

Post a new topic