Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 63411 times)

VanZan

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2018, 11:46:40 am »
Perhaps I'm missing the joke here but how the heck did you get the part number? Out of curiosity would you have a link to the eBay listing please?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »
I was simply comparing images and measurements
https://www.ebay.de/itm/262895748604

VanZan

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2018, 02:34:17 pm »
Ah OK thanks for the reply!

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2018, 03:07:39 pm »
Got the replacement switches today and they are correct. Now I have 8 spares ;)

Princebatman

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 03:02:09 am »
Tested the gold high capacity BP-4L battery (3030mah supposedly) which arrived a couple of days ago and after 1hr20mins gaming it had only just dropped a bar on the battery meter so it's looking like 4-5hrs play time is realistic. If the battery meter is wrong and it's a crap battery I'll edit the post later but looks much better than the stock battery so far. I got it from DealExtreme. You can get it from all the usual places like AliExpress, FastTech, eBay etc:
http://www.dx.com/p/bp-4l-3-7v-3030mah-li-ion-battery-for-nokia-2680-slide-e52-e61i-e63-e71-more-golden-215685#.Wln-cb-WTIU

Also tested Syobon, it works but looks like trash. I seem to remember it looked bad on the A320 though as it was a quick port:
https://www.mediafire.com/?hstmtud9g45cx

I have my unit being shipped.  I wanted to follow-up on the higher capacity battery.  Is it really giving you 3030?  And how many total hours are you getting vs the original. 

If all is legit, I'd like to grab a few. 

Thanks

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2018, 01:07:15 pm »
@lemmywinks have you had them extended batteries from dx yet i am still waiting on mine they take forever .Also at jack it would be great if we can get the gmenu2x of Stewards ported to Papkiii plus too i have asked him if he can so lets see what happens same hardware.

Edit sorry never saw the post ^

lemmywinks

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2018, 07:25:47 pm »
The 3030mah labelled battery gives about 4.5hrs of constant emulation which is pretty good for the price, the original battery was about half that for me. Not sure if the gold battery is a full 3030mah but it's definitely better than stock and is very cheap.

I have the extended batteries for this, the RS-97 and the RS-90 now. Haven't really done much testing on either but the RS-97 battery seems to be very good, probably 7hrs use I would guess, shame it needs a screwdriver to swap batteries out.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

ricsi

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:08 pm »
I finally made another release of the dmenu.

Jack, is it possible to activate the TV Out option in your dmenu?
I have not found anything to activate it.

> Is there a working PC Engine (Turbographics 32) emulator?
Answering my own question ... this seems to work:
http://dingoo.a320.free.fr/emuls-dingux-hugo.php
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:25:24 am by ricsi »

Pyramid666

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:46 pm »
hello
which version is working?
I see only black screen...
thanks

lemmywinks

« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2018, 11:45:54 pm »
I'm using Hugo from OpenDingux pack 6.0, folder in the rar file is called "v2011-09-05-2011_OD".
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Pyramid666

« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:11 pm »
Thanks
found and working
Now I hope for some version of Mame...

Princebatman

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »
I think you mentioned this, but did you say you will be porting an image of steward's rs-97 to this device?

Will that require a lot of tweaking? 

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:29 pm »
Hi all! I've just bought this little handheld, installed dmenu and the emulators package from JackD83, and I want to say I'm really happy with it! The stock emulators were really bad, specially the NES one, but now with FCEU it runs like a charm! Thank you for all your great work! I also installed Dingux-2600, Stella and Dingux-7800 from openhandhelds.org, and they run nice too! Altough not in native resolution, but centered on the screen it looks OK for me. However, I've tested some versions of MAME4ALL from openhandhelds.org with no success, the best I've got is screen corruption and returning to dmenu. I'm fairly new to Dingux/OpenDingux, but I have huge experience in Linux, mostly in Slackware, Debian and Ubuntu, and I could try compiling MAME4ALL for the PAP KIII Plus, but I don't know where to start... Do you know of some binary version of MAME4ALL that works in our console, or could you please point me to some guide where I can learn how to compile it?

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker, and thank you all again!

Phawx

« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2018, 05:40:10 am »
The price between the PAP KIII Plus and Rs-97 seems to only be a few dollar difference.  Reading a few conflicting things, like build quality on RS-97 is better.

Does anyone have any opinions on how the controls feel between these devices?  If it's only an $8 difference, I'll just spring for the RS-97 but I'd like to hear some other opinions first.

onthebridge

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2018, 10:18:37 am »
I have both and the rs97 is nicer in my opinion and also it is getting tons of love (see https://github.com/steward-fu/gh_retrogame_emulator/blob/master/release_note) so if you review this be sure to clarify that there is an alternative firmware that adds a lot of emulators/games/capabilities and that is actively in development.

I hope the pap kIII catches up but so far it is not happening

lemmywinks

« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2018, 11:26:00 am »
The price between the PAP KIII Plus and Rs-97 seems to only be a few dollar difference.  Reading a few conflicting things, like build quality on RS-97 is better.

Does anyone have any opinions on how the controls feel between these devices?  If it's only an $8 difference, I'll just spring for the RS-97 but I'd like to hear some other opinions first.

Neither of them do a particularly good job of emulation if you're used to a GPD XD or Win IMO, the new OD port for the RS-97 seems to have some serious issues even with NES emulation among others, the fps counter reads a solid 60/60 but it feels laggy and jerky. It also breaks compatibility on Dingux software so everything needs to be ported again, I actually went back to Jack's dmenu hack on mine and even then the K3P has better compatibility. Both of them have strong and weak points, the odd screen res on the RS-97 is a massive oversight and may cripple performance for the device's lifespan (I think Jack was looking to port Steward's OD to the K3P so it may end up running the same software better anyway), the dpad and feel on the K3P is nicer in some regards but not in others, ie the RS-97 has a proper dpad but it is mushy compared to the 2 piece one on the K3P. The shoulder buttons on the RS-97 are loose and rattle but they are easier to use than the ones on the K3P which are too small with barely any travel. RS-97 is a bit more portable and looks more like a "proper" console than cheap Chinese tat, it feels better built than the K3P and the plastic is nicer.

It's worth pointing out that Snesfan is still working on a full OpenDingux port for the RS-97 which aims to retain compatibility with everything out there I think, might be worth waiting for that

At the moment they're both a work in progress, nice to have if all you need is basic emulation and don't have much money to spend or if you need something which is more disposable than a GPD. I know there's a lot of excitement around them on here (particularly the RS-97) but they're very basic devices which can't do full speed Snes.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2018, 07:45:47 am »
Hi all again!

After setting up toolchain, fixing paths and changing DINGOO_SCREEN_WIDTH and DINGOO_SCREEN_HEIGHT in src/dingoo/minimal.h I managed to compile mame4all for the K3P. Now I have another problem: when using it with frontend, the splash image seems corrupted (not an issue, I see it's an encoded image in src/dingoo/dingoo_frontend_splash.h, I can modify it later), and the game list appears for one second or so and then the frontend exits (or crashes). When using it with no frontend (through a wrapper I've written that is called from dmenu's file selector and strips the path and extension and passes the result to mame4all binary), I see mame4all uncompresses the ZIP file, loads the roms and then the disclaimer appears ("use of MAME in conjuntion with roms..." you know...) but then, before I try to press LEFT+RIGHT, MAME exits (or crashes)...

I think I'm pretty close to get a working MAME but I don't know how to debug this issue, also I've looked at stdout.txt and stderr.txt but I see no messages related with this... Could someone please help me with this or give me some advice?

blackz1982

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
Hi all again!

After setting up toolchain, fixing paths and changing DINGOO_SCREEN_WIDTH and DINGOO_SCREEN_HEIGHT in src/dingoo/minimal.h I managed to compile mame4all for the K3P. Now I have another problem: when using it with frontend, the splash image seems corrupted (not an issue, I see it's an encoded image in src/dingoo/dingoo_frontend_splash.h, I can modify it later), and the game list appears for one second or so and then the frontend exits (or crashes). When using it with no frontend (through a wrapper I've written that is called from dmenu's file selector and strips the path and extension and passes the result to mame4all binary), I see mame4all uncompresses the ZIP file, loads the roms and then the disclaimer appears ("use of MAME in conjuntion with roms..." you know...) but then, before I try to press LEFT+RIGHT, MAME exits (or crashes)...

I think I'm pretty close to get a working MAME but I don't know how to debug this issue, also I've looked at stdout.txt and stderr.txt but I see no messages related with this... Could someone please help me with this or give me some advice?

You compile MAME4ALL for Dingoo Native?
Dingoo Native= Official firmware=?C/OS-II not Dingux on K3P.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:14:47 pm by blackz1982 »

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2018, 07:33:47 pm »
After after much trial and error I have come to a point where I don't know how to proceed. My goal was to port the cfw from steward to the K3P. But now I'm not sure of it. Here are the things I tried:

I put stewards fw on a sdcard and booted it. Works as expected with the wrong screen settings etc. After that I check the possibility to run stewards fw from the external sdcard. flashing the internal card and opening the device is not so easy with the K3P. I checked the original firmware and it supports chroot! That means you can put any rootfs on the external sd-card and mount it as new root without changing the internal card!

I compiled my own rootfs with some changes with the configuration from steward and tried to port some emulators. I started with the git from steward and his changes to the emulators are very hard to track and a little, lets say destructive. They work for the RS97 and nowhere else. The problem with the tracking is, that he often commited patched code as initial commit. No way to know what changes he made but to find the original source and check that against the git repo.

I figured that the repos of dmitrysmagin are the source of some of the emulators steward and I used from the RZX-50. 
I compiled the snes9x4d and ran it on the K3P. I was very disappointed. I had hoped for at least a small performance increase compared to default fw and the precompiled version of snes9x4d  for the stock fw. There is none that I could see.

My next test was gngeo. I read in the RS97 thread that it runs neo-geo at 60fps on stewards fw. I compiled it for my test on the K3P and ran "Puzzle Bobble / Magic Drop". I got barely 45fps with drops to 30. Tested on the RS97 and its the same. No where near 60fps

I don't think that implementing the hardware IPU scaling will bring up the FPS either. As far as I know, scaling was only used to bring the original resolution of the emulated hardware to the resolution of the device, but even with the unscaled image of the snes, emulation is still to slow, so scaling isn't the main problem.

For OpenDingux: I tried the opendingux rootfs and used chroot on it. With this, you can run all the software from the the opendingux localpack. Problem is, that some of it seems to be optimized for the A320 IPU and you get a distorted screen and a lot of "unkown function" messages in the console. Disabling the scaling sometimes helps.

I think I'm with @lemmywinks here: The device is cheap and not bad for what it does, but has severe limitations.
Right now I think it would be better to compile some software for the stockfw instead of doing it all over with a new fw.
I would love to see python and pygame on the device.

What are your thoughts?

blackz1982

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »
After after much trial and error I have come to a point where I don't know how to proceed. My goal was to port the cfw from steward to the K3P. But now I'm not sure of it. Here are the things I tried:

I put stewards fw on a sdcard and booted it. Works as expected with the wrong screen settings etc. After that I check the possibility to run stewards fw from the external sdcard. flashing the internal card and opening the device is not so easy with the K3P. I checked the original firmware and it supports chroot! That means you can put any rootfs on the external sd-card and mount it as new root without changing the internal card!

I compiled my own rootfs with some changes with the configuration from steward and tried to port some emulators. I started with the git from steward and his changes to the emulators are very hard to track and a little, lets say destructive. They work for the RS97 and nowhere else. The problem with the tracking is, that he often commited patched code as initial commit. No way to know what changes he made but to find the original source and check that against the git repo.

I figured that the repos of dmitrysmagin are the source of some of the emulators steward and I used from the RZX-50. 
I compiled the snes9x4d and ran it on the K3P. I was very disappointed. I had hoped for at least a small performance increase compared to default fw and the precompiled version of snes9x4d  for the stock fw. There is none that I could see.

My next test was gngeo. I read in the RS97 thread that it runs neo-geo at 60fps on stewards fw. I compiled it for my test on the K3P and ran "Puzzle Bobble / Magic Drop". I got barely 45fps with drops to 30. Tested on the RS97 and its the same. No where near 60fps

I don't think that implementing the hardware IPU scaling will bring up the FPS either. As far as I know, scaling was only used to bring the original resolution of the emulated hardware to the resolution of the device, but even with the unscaled image of the snes, emulation is still to slow, so scaling isn't the main problem.

For OpenDingux: I tried the opendingux rootfs and used chroot on it. With this, you can run all the software from the the opendingux localpack. Problem is, that some of it seems to be optimized for the A320 IPU and you get a distorted screen and a lot of "unkown function" messages in the console. Disabling the scaling sometimes helps.

I think I'm with @lemmywinks here: The device is cheap and not bad for what it does, but has severe limitations.
Right now I think it would be better to compile some software for the stockfw instead of doing it all over with a new fw.
I would love to see python and pygame on the device.

What are your thoughts?

I think:
1) Stewards build not as optimized as can be.
2) Try this https://github.com/Nebuleon/PocketSNES
3) IPU in opendingux a320 is disabled in the kernel.

Post a new topic