Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 127271 times)

lemmywinks

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:59 am »
Got PC Engine working, used Hugo from the Open Dingux  pack v6.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Feb

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2018, 09:30:18 pm »

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

Thank you very much for your work!
I have bought my unit here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Handheld-Game-Maker-4-3-TFT-HD-Screen-KIII-Built-in-650-Classic-Game-4GB-Memory/32829369326.html

The seller is not a technical person, but she made a picture of the box, so I could identify it before buying.
I have left there a feedback with detailed pictures of the paperbox, it will show up once approved by seller.

Firmware version: V3.1224, the dump is here:
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/gvsB9Pbd/file.html
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/jb6Xiggt/file.html
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/iU5SGHK2/file.html
MD5 checksum: bb9b4392e4b90e1f1262a32caa3d4720

Small bug report for dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4:
- both videos, which was present on the unit if I try to play after the upgrade, the unit is freezing on exit. However not important bug, as the alternative emulators are running well.

Question:
As I read in the forum the USB supports OTG function. Most of the emulators could be used for multiplayer.
Has anyone tried to connect a mini USB OTG cable + generic USB game controller? May it work?
At the moment I do not have such cable to test my generic USB controllers, but if no one has tried yet I will get a cable and do it.

lemmywinks

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2018, 10:18:28 pm »
Found a perfect case for these, it's a vape case on eBay and the console is a snug fit (with a mesh pocket if needed) and there's also two pockets to keep spare batteries in. Best bit is it's only two quid!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-EVA-Leather-Tobacco-Cigarette-Smoke-Holder-Storage-Case-Box-Bag-Gift/232579745573?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:44:54 pm by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

DKL3

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
a vape case? ahaha!

Princebatman

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:19 am »
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions on the "Other" handhelds.  I have the GPD Q9 and GPD XD, which I love and are android based.  Didn't find the JXD handhelds to appealing.

I'm interested in some smaller screen handhelds that also play and look great.  I recently ordered the RS-97. 

I guess my question is... 

What am I missing as far as quality, build, and most importantly how the emulators play.  Will the RS-97 be the next top contender?

Is the PAP KIII Plus - less, equal to, or better than the RS-97.  Is it worth a purchase as well?

And is there anything else on the market (not second-hand) right now that I should take a look at?

Any insight would be awesome! 

lemmywinks

« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »
RS-97 has better build quality and much nicer controls, feels more like a "proper" handheld compared to the K3P. However performance isn't as good, for example Mario 3 for Snes is a solid 40fps on the K3P and between 34-39fps on the RS-97, it feels pretty smooth on the K3P but not on the RS-97. Same with Dracula X which is 31-34fps on the K3P but 24-28fps on the RS-97 which makes it unplayable.

I assume this is because of the resolution issue, GBA is the same. Maybe Snesfan's work will sort the issue.
Handhelds:
PC:

literallywhy

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2018, 05:56:20 pm »
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions on the "Other" handhelds.  I have the GPD Q9 and GPD XD, which I love and are android based.  Didn't find the JXD handhelds to appealing.

I'm interested in some smaller screen handhelds that also play and look great.  I recently ordered the RS-97. 

I guess my question is... 

What am I missing as far as quality, build, and most importantly how the emulators play.  Will the RS-97 be the next top contender?

Is the PAP KIII Plus - less, equal to, or better than the RS-97.  Is it worth a purchase as well?

And is there anything else on the market (not second-hand) right now that I should take a look at?

Any insight would be awesome!

Hardware-wise the RS-97 completely superior. It just needs some work on the software end. It doesn't seem to be too difficult though, we already have emulator ports with a fixed aspect resolution, so stuff like opendingux should follow sooner rather than later

Jutleys

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2018, 06:10:29 pm »
I think the RS-97 is the new dingoo a320 update we have all been waiting for its cheap at the moment and much better build quality great screen battery life seems good with the extended battery.

lemmywinks

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2018, 06:21:57 pm »
Hardware-wise the RS-97 completely superior. It just needs some work on the software end. It doesn't seem to be too difficult though, we already have emulator ports with a fixed aspect resolution, so stuff like opendingux should follow sooner rather than later

The fixed emulators on the RS-97 run quite a bit worse than their otherwise identical counterparts do on the K3P though, it makes some games completely unplayable on one console and ok on the other so the sdl fix brings a performance penalty. The 320x240 resolution of the RS-97 also brings it's own problems with GBA emulation as (like the GCW Zero) there's no good way to scale the display, you either play in a small bordered window or use fullscreen which looks poor in some instances. The K3P scales GBA without any issues and emulators perform better also.

Neither are perfect but at the moment the K3P is actually the better console for outright emulation performance IMO. Obviously the work of developers who are interested may fix these issues but they work for free in their own time.
Handhelds:
PC:

literallywhy

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »

The fixed emulators on the RS-97 run quite a bit worse than their otherwise identical counterparts do on the K3P though, it makes some games completely unplayable on one console and ok on the other so the sdl fix brings a performance penalty. The 320x240 resolution of the RS-97 also brings it's own problems with GBA emulation as (like the GCW Zero) there's no good way to scale the display, you either play in a small bordered window or use fullscreen which looks poor in some instances. The K3P scales GBA without any issues and emulators perform better also.

Neither are perfect but at the moment the K3P is actually the better console for outright emulation performance IMO. Obviously the work of developers who are interested may fix these issues but they work for free in their own time.

The performance difference is only for the time being though. That's going to change once we have a bigger dev community. What can't change is the superior PPI and brightness of the RS-97 screen, the better buttons and dpad and overall it doesn't look like a typical "chinese ripoff".
The scaled screen in gpsp is about the same size as a gameboy micro screen but looks better color-wise and brightness-wise, so I'm more than happy with that.
Also I'm willing to bet the rest of the GCW community will like and support the RS-97 over the K3p, simply due to the similar form factor.
Of course, we wouldn't be arguing about this if the GCW project wasn't so poorly executed lol

lemmywinks

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »
That resolution fix will have to occur somewhere though whether it stays as it is or it is done in the video driver itself, maybe there will always be a performance penalty. How do you know it is only for the time being?

The one thing that is 100% true with community devices and open source software is that there are no guarantees. Maybe this device will be perfect, maybe it will always be held back by odd hardware choices and will never run Snes smoothly. As far as I know there is only one guy working on a full OD port and that is a lot of work which will take time. Maybe nobody else shows an interest in developing for it, plenty of devices have fallen by the wayside purely because nobody was interested in working on them, the A320 was the exception to the rule.

I was just giving my opinion as I own both of these handhelds and have got the modded dmenu installed on both of them, I don't really like advising people how to spend their money but at the moment the K3P outperforms the RS-97 where it matters, if this changes then that's great and I'll sell the K3P, as I said though nothing is certain.
Handhelds:
PC:

literallywhy

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »
That resolution fix will have to occur somewhere though whether it stays as it is or it is done in the video driver itself, maybe there will always be a performance penalty. How do you know it is only for the time being?

The one thing that is 100% true with community devices and open source software is that there are no guarantees. Maybe this device will be perfect, maybe it will always be held back by odd hardware choices and will never run Snes smoothly. As far as I know there is only one guy working on a full OD port and that is a lot of work which will take time. Maybe nobody else shows an interest in developing for it, plenty of devices have fallen by the wayside purely because nobody was interested in working on them, the A320 was the exception to the rule.

I was just giving my opinion as I own both of these handhelds and have got the modded dmenu installed on both of them, I don't really like advising people how to spend their money but at the moment the K3P outperforms the RS-97 where it matters, if this changes then that's great and I'll sell the K3P, as I said though nothing is certain.
Much weirder handhelds (like the game gadget) got opendingux ports with emulators running full speed.
The real problem here is that just as soon as a system gets popular it becomes hard to get. The K3P and RS-97 don't seem to have that problem since they're widely available and aren't using any custom parts.
Hopefully the rest of the community will take notice of these systems and we start to get more support. The rs-97 at least fills the GCW0 niche almost completely.

Jutleys

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2018, 09:20:41 pm »
Yes i have two gamegadgets both with opendingux and they work great.

lemmywinks

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2018, 11:11:54 pm »
The GameGadget wasn't particularly weird, it had a 320x240 screen like the A320 and was pretty open from the beginning, the RS-97 has 480x320 which needs to be rendered at 320x240 hence the sdl fix and overhead. Like I said maybe it will be fine, maybe not though. I wouldn't guarantee that to anybody as it's their money and not mine, especially if I didn't know anything about development for the console.
Handhelds:
PC:

lemmywinks

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »
The real problem here is that just as soon as a system gets popular it becomes hard to get. The K3P and RS-97 don't seem to have that problem since they're widely available and aren't using any custom parts.

Also this is incorrect, the A320 was available for ages, there was even the HK version made by a different company and then one with a different LCD when the original became difficult to source. It was readily available on every reseller site for ages, almost everyone who wanted one got one unless you arrived very late to the scene. When sales started to slow down the resellers stopped making large orders and they stopped producing them.

Hopefully the rest of the community will take notice of these systems and we start to get more support. The rs-97 at least fills the GCW0 niche almost completely.

Unfortunately there really isn't much of a Dingux/OD community left, what you see here is basically it. The heyday of these devices is long gone and if you want a current emulation handheld then get an XD or a Win. Cheap handhelds are fun but there's nothing new happening on them. If the RS-97 does get a full OD port then that will be great news for people who wanted a Zero or Dingoo but couldn't get them (or got ripped off by Justin), I wouldn't expect some sort of resurgence though.
Handhelds:
PC:

Princebatman

« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2018, 12:46:31 am »
Thanks for the insightful explanation of the "other" handheld scene.  I was one of those guys that missed out on the dingoo and zero.  I wish I had technical know-how to help the community.  My only contribution will be feedback and testing.  I do find this somewhat "underground" scene fascinating, as none of the people I know have a clue about it. I have a RS-97 being shipped at the moment. 

I'm definitely interested in the K3P.  It's great that it plays games well.  The one thing holding me back is the d-pad.  I'm not sure about the button aspect.

Is that a factor for any of you?  Does it take getting used to?  Does it affect gameplay?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2018, 07:52:26 am »
I actually like the K3P more than the RS-97. The build quality if of the RS-97 is better in many ways, but I think the d-pad is to small and the buttons rattle in the case. I think the K3P with the larger screen and overall larger case fits better in my (large  :P) hands. I rather play with the K3P than the RS-97 and have no problems. Don't rely on the shoulder buttons though, they are crap on both devices.

Princebatman

« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:46 am »
I actually like the K3P more than the RS-97. The build quality if of the RS-97 is better in many ways, but I think the d-pad is to small and the buttons rattle in the case. I think the K3P with the larger screen and overall larger case fits better in my (large  :P) hands. I rather play with the K3P than the RS-97 and have no problems. Don't rely on the shoulder buttons though, they are crap on both devices.

I think I'm sold on picking one up.  Thanks a lot for the input.  I enjoy tinkering around with new devices.

It'll be good to have a range of screen sizes too.  On that note. 

Does anyone use screen protectors?  Are they sized correctly or do you need to cut them down?

lemmywinks

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:31 am »
Despite being one of those crappy 2 piece things the dpad on the K3P is very responsive, the buttons are a bit clacky for my liking and remind me of the old JXD S601 but everything works fine. You forget how cheap looking/feeling it is when you're actually playing it which is all that matters to me, the only thing I don't like on the K3P is the shoulder buttons which are too narrow and have a harder feel than the face buttons.

Neither is perfect and out of the two I prefer the feel of the RS-97 but they're both nice consoles for ?35. Pretty cool that you have a choice of Dingux handhelds for such a small amount of money, I think I paid ?65 for my A320 back in the day.
Handhelds:
PC:

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2018, 08:25:48 am »
Broke my K3P yesterday :'( Dropped it on a hard floor and it landed first on the left should button and then on the second one. Both micro switches are busted and need to be replaced. Should be TL3330AF130QD. I hope the polish ebay seller delivers ;)

Post a new topic