• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 169577 times)

ruffnutts

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 09:00:31 pm »
45 quid on Amazon interesting, what's this puppy got under the hood? :)

lemmywinks

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 10:47:33 pm »
Mine was ?31 delivered from AliExpress, sometimes it pays to check photos of the box/manual and also user feedback as a lot of the time they aren't listed as the Plus model, . Mine arrived in the UK today so will be with me soon. The CPU is an Ingenic JZ 4760 600mhz with 128mb ram.

I got mine here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-4-3-Inch-HD-Game-Console-32-Bit-Portable-Handheld-Game-Players-For/32827775324.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.YDP0qd
If you scroll down to user feedback someone posted full spec and posted gut shots. Internal storage is a removable micro SD like the Zero.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

eltehero

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 08:02:42 am »
@lemmywinks

Is that the Plus version you got?

onthebridge

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 11:09:35 am »
Is the OpenDingux team still active? Seeing as that's now an OS without any hardware to run on the KIII Plus may have come along at the right time is there is any interest in it from those guys. Looking at the sub-forum here it seems very quiet though.

Today RetroArch published a blog post about their future and they state that the GCW is going to be supported. It would be great that this one could benefitiate from the efforts to port it to opendingux

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-roadmap-for-v1-7-0-and-beyond/

lemmywinks

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:29 pm »
@lemmywinks

Is that the Plus version you got?

Quick update - this arrived today and is the Plus version, comes boxed too (the listing says unboxed). It's the same as the unit Algorithm has with the model no LN430, firmware V3.1223 and a 3.27gb SD card, just with less preloaded roms.
Seems to work fine, menus are a little clunky compared to a decent Android console and the dpad is two piece but apart from that it initially seems ok. The digital nub is scratchy as hell but those PSP nubs are horrible anyway so no great loss.

Although it's not mentioned anywhere it's the Plus version, it's not been delivered yet so I'll confirm that when it arrives. A lot of the time they are sold as just a PAP-KIII or even just something generic like "Game Player" and you have to do some detective work to figure out what it is!

On this listing there is a picture of the box which has "Plus" written on it, also there is no border around the screen which means it isn't the S version. There are some pictures in the buyer feedback section which shows the correct processor and another with the Plus manual, another buyer mentions this is the Plus model. Basically if it has the Ingenic JZ4760 and the screen is 4.3" (no border) then it is the Plus version, even though the board is marked "PAP_K3S_V3_DDR_V2.0".

This one is also the KIII Plus, this is the seller RetroCore used for the video review I posted above:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4-3-inch-Handheld-Video-Game-Console-build-in-1300-no-repeat-game-for-NEOGEO-CPS/2061112_32824646911.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.35f39247EzLnbf
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:26:25 pm by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »
Here is a new release of the dmenu

- fixed usb mounting, k3 needs to be connected to pc on boot to work
- fixed dmenu file browser could not launch binaries with spaces
- fixed battery icon while loading
- added script to switch between old dmenu and the new one

enjoy: (now with correct binary)
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.3.zip

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:14:30 pm by Jack83 »

eltehero

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 08:28:07 am »
How does this device run the arcade games of CPS1, CPS2 and neogeo?

Are they full 60FPS speed with sound?

algorithm

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 12:24:32 pm »
@Jack83 great.  Will try this at some point.

CPS1/2/NeoGeo run fine on it. However there may be an issue with the soundbuffering as sound is pretty much distorted most of the time (dependant on game) - It does not skip, but seems to have short buffer size. 

Frame rate appears fine, but I have the feeling that the LCD panel perhaps has some mismatch in refresh in comparison to the original games refresh.  I have heard of some devices having unusual rates such as 54hz etc.

lemmywinks

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 03:29:15 pm »
Dpad seems to have an overall diameter of 26mm and the cross is 8mm wide if anybody wants to mod it.
Handhelds:
PC:

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:53 pm »
Had some more time to test things out. The PAP KIII files on the internal storage looked very much like the files of the Ritmix RZX-50. @algorithm  already tried to flash the firmware without success, so I tried another approach. I copied the content of the latest RZX-50 firmware (the partitions for rootfs, appfs and configfs) from here http://prizma.bmstu.ru/~exmortis/posts/2014-10-17-rzx50-last-firmware.html and replaces the files of the PAP KIII Plus.

And success! ;D Of course, those two devices don't have identical hardware so I expected some errors.

What does work:
- rzx50 dmenu
- Default emulators (all systems)
- alternative emulators (all systems, did not try neogeo, I only have the fba roms)

What does not work:
- Menu for the default emulators. Start + Select gives a flashing screen instead of menu. You can't exit the default emulators  :P
- mplayer is not working
- no radio
- volume keys (obviously) and volume in default emulators changed some times
- shutdown does not work, shows only Ritmix logo

All those bugs seem fixable in the rootfs. I currently dont't know how to proceed. I like the animations in the rzx50 dmenu, but I could replace it with my build and get the working volume keys. I don't know how to fix the default emulators, but as alternatives work great I don't see the need for it

Smoje

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 03:51:30 pm »
I'm having problems trying to install dmenu, tried to run installer.sh from the console but nothing happens... any suggestions?

My model is LN430 version V.31224 and it's KIII Plus, 3.27GB space free

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 03:37:07 pm »
Here are my latest results. I was able to build a custom kernel using the ingenic patches and boot it. Display was working out of the box, but I could not get the keys to work. I did some more research, and it would be possible to get all the stuff working on a current kernel and create a new rootfs with all optimizations. The problem is that I don't see a real benefit from that. All emulators have to be recompiled to be usable and we would lose the compatibility to the (open)dingux using hard-float (FPU)

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

@Smoje
The installer creates two txt files containing log entries. If its not working, post the contents here

algorithm

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
Excellent job there.   Pretty much this is the open-dingux device to get for ?30  (instead of shelling out for some second hand expensive opendingux/dingux handheld from ebay).  The alternative megadrive emulator (picodrive) runs absolutely perfect. 60fps, no audio distortion.

Smoje

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
@Jack83 Thanks for the last version that works like a charm in my PAP!!!! Love the new GB emulator because some of the games never worked with the last one!

I want to include the PC Engine emulator but doesn't appears in other emulators, how to add it?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:46 am »
You have to edit the dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg file. Don't make any errors or the menu wont work. Thats why its on the external card 8)

SerjTargarien

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
Can somebody make a video of this in action sometime? I'm thinking on getting one of this to take on a long trip I'm doing without risking one of my more expensive (or beloved) handhelds, and it would be great to have it running Dingux. Thanks in advance ^_^

onthebridge

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »
You have to edit the dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg file. Don't make any errors or the menu wont work. Thats why its on the external card 8)
Wasn?t this easier using Gmenu2x? I think there was a way to add new emulators/games/apps inside the menu itself

Verdugo

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 04:07:00 pm »
Here are my latest results. I was able to build a custom kernel using the ingenic patches and boot it. Display was working out of the box, but I could not get the keys to work. I did some more research, and it would be possible to get all the stuff working on a current kernel and create a new rootfs with all optimizations. The problem is that I don't see a real benefit from that. All emulators have to be recompiled to be usable and we would lose the compatibility to the (open)dingux using hard-float (FPU)

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

@Smoje
The installer creates two txt files containing log entries. If its not working, post the contents here

How do you backup the internal SD card?

chevette

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »
Just tried this out and it works great!!!! Boots into the new menu, haven't tried all the emulators, but so far they all work. State saves are working for Sega Genesis. Amazing!!! Thank you so much Jack83. You've made a good handheld a GREAT handheld........thanks again.

I'm trying to figure out how to change default ROM paths to the external microSD card instead of the internal memory.

PS-Make sure you use Alternative Emulators and NOT Emulators from the main menu

Smoje

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 07:52:07 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how to change default ROM paths to the external microSD card instead of the internal memory.

As @Jack83 said, you must edit the file called dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg where each emulator has a SelectorDir = "/mnt/mmc/PCE/" route

Post a new topic