• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 151631 times)

DKL3

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:22 pm »
The things that would be great are the following:

- gpSP compatibility
- the splash screen of "Goodbye" doesn't display properly when i turn off my unit.
- an eBook option isn't present on this dmenu. I kind of wonder if the menu can be more based on the original one--I liked that one except that I can't change the default emulators and paths.
- Emulators probably need updating since they're all like 7 years old.

Those are just the few things I've noticed. It's a great new menu though--reminds me of the PSP. I wonder if a similar menu can be made based on the stock firmware?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »
The shutdown is just a stupid list of processes which are killed. The new dmenu is not in that list, thats why it is not working properly. The ebook option is not there because I didn't need it :P but it can be added.

The old emulators are the real problem. It needs some expertise to update those.

onthebridge

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 06:25:08 pm »
I encountered a problem and I do not know how to fix it. After pressing "go back to old menu" now it does not boot again into dmenu. Is there any way of solving this without opening the device and reflashing the firmware?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »
I encountered a problem and I do not know how to fix it. After pressing "go back to old menu" now it does not boot again into dmenu. Is there any way of solving this without opening the device and reflashing the firmware?

Does it boot to the old menu if you remove the external sdcard? "go back to old menu" is just a script that renames a file in  the dmenu folder on the external sd card

DKL3

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
It would be cool if the Ebook and bullcrap radio/voice record options were added back--just to preserve the nonsense gimmicks :P

onthebridge

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2018, 07:52:18 pm »

Does it boot to the old menu if you remove the external sdcard? "go back to old menu" is just a script that renames a file in  the dmenu folder on the external sd card

Nevermind, I solved it by reflashing the external sd card

Jindofox

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2018, 03:40:17 am »
Here are my latest results. I was able to build a custom kernel using the ingenic patches and boot it. Display was working out of the box, but I could not get the keys to work. I did some more research, and it would be possible to get all the stuff working on a current kernel and create a new rootfs with all optimizations. The problem is that I don't see a real benefit from that. All emulators have to be recompiled to be usable and we would lose the compatibility to the (open)dingux using hard-float (FPU)

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

@Smoje
The installer creates two txt files containing log entries. If its not working, post the contents here
OMG this is brilliant, it works great, and installed easily. I like this device a lot now, thank you for doing this. Amiga and Lynx, too!!

The only things I would want to add would be the Odyssey 2 emulator from the old Dingoo, and maybe to have you take a look at the RETROMINI handheld, which might have a similar chip onboard? It's much smaller so it's not as suited to SNES and pre-GBA systems, but if you brought the magic touch there as well, it could be salvaged like you did the PAPKIII.

eltehero

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2018, 08:16:16 am »
So now can I use this device to completely replace my Dingoo A380?

Will all emus and custom firmware for the A380 work on this device exactly the same now?

The A380 was well built so how does the build quality and dpad/buttons on this device compare?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:02:30 pm by van denhawk »

Verdugo

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »
Received my pap kiii plus today. Installed the patch, but i'm unable to bring up (save state)menu in gba games. Pressing start and select does nothing ???

lemmywinks

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 07:41:09 pm »
Try Y, or D as it is on the K3P.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Jutleys

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:05 pm »
They use old Nokia batteries, BP-4L which are 3.7v 1200mah. My battery doesn't last that long, maybe a couple of hours or so of gaming. They are cheap to replace and easily available though, if you get a generic charger you can have a few batteries spare.

I've ordered a supposed 3030mah version from dealextreme which is on it's way:
http://www.dx.com/p/bp-4l-3-7v-3030mah-li-ion-battery-for-nokia-2680-slide-e52-e61i-e63-e71-more-golden-215685#.WjuErSOWTIU

I ordered 2 of these today did you get yours yet if yes did they fit i am hopping they are not to thicker to fit the case.

lemmywinks

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:48 pm »
The menu in the NES emulator is accessed with the L button, these are old Dingoo emulators by different authors so the interface is different on some of them.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

lemmywinks

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2018, 07:44:39 pm »
I ordered 2 of these today did you get yours yet if yes did they fit i am hopping they are not to thicker to fit the case.

It's not here yet, I'll let you know when it attives. DX are known for their slow shipping though.
Handhelds:
PC:

Verdugo

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55:48 pm »
Thanks! It's the D button for gba.

Jutleys

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 08:14:53 pm »
So can you guys add emulators quite easily and roms to the sd card with the new patch.

lemmywinks

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:48 pm »
All the different emulators are already installed and can be accessed by the "Alternative Emulators" entry on dmenu. The old ones are still present under "Emulators". There is a third entry called "Games" which is where you launch .dge ports and games.

Dmenu has to be edited manually if you want to add new entries, of course you could just launch them through Dingux Commander. You have to change the paths manually if you want default rom paths to be on your external SD too (just change the appropriate line to "emmc/SNES" etc). I guess if you wanted to put a different .dge emulator on it you could just put the folder in the "emulator" folder on your SD then copy/paste an existing dmenu entry and change the relevant details. The file you need to edit on your SD card is this one - dmenu\themes\ipen_en\theme

Games are accessed under the "Game" menu entry so as long as you put the folder in the "Game" folder you're ok. I seem to remember having to change the theme file for this too as they were on my external SD.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:57:16 pm by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
PC:

DKL3

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2018, 12:46:22 am »
I don't know how to add in eBook manually though.  I wonder if these devices can be reverse engineered a bit more with tutorials on users (like me) who want to figure out how to add the ebook function. And then maybe updates to emulators (like gpsp, which doesn't work) by developers.

Of course, it likely won't happen since people like homebrew on official Nintendo systems a lot more.

Pyramid666

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2018, 12:17:49 pm »
Hello

just to understand: I can open the console, remove microsd and insert another one (maybe 16gb) with the menu and files and emulators downloaded from this post?

this way if I made some mistake I can reinsert orginal one and come back to play without any issue?

thanks

Verdugo

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »
Regarding the emulation performance:  snes seem to dip to 40fps on some games. Gba games have drops to 50fps and have distorted sound. Shame.

Jutleys

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2018, 11:14:49 am »
I got one of mine from amazon used ?34 when i got it looked like new but when i switched it on the screen looked very grainy and faded and screen kept flickering. I guess it was a duff one but games seemed to play nice sent it back for a refund now i will have to wait til my one from china ges here.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic