Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 94234 times)

Jutleys

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2018, 10:27:47 am »
I haven't had time to take a look yet does anyone know the file name of the image.

csantana137

« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:12 pm »
Is anyone having issues with the speaker/s? It sounds so scratchy at max volume, and it isn?t even that loud. I wonder if my speaker is damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radon_22

« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:56 pm »
So once you've set it up to your liking, how would you compare it to the RS-97?

skayme

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:40 pm »
I tried the Amstrad cpc and Spectrum emulators and are working well as well as pc engine

I'm crazy looking for a spectrum emulator that works in PAP KIII. Can you send me the link to the emulator please?
GP32 | CAANOO | JXD 602 | KONG FENG GB | GPD XD | GPD XD | PAP KIII | RS-97 | X16 | BITTBOY v3.5 | LDK

Princebatman

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:55 am »
I tried the Amstrad cpc and Spectrum emulators and are working well as well as pc engine

I'm crazy looking for a spectrum emulator that works in PAP KIII. Can you send me the link to the emulator please?

Someone mentioned they are working from here:  http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71

@TomelloSoulMan mentioned that they run centered on the screen but smaller.

@Jack83 mentioned that: You can add Zoom = "true" to the config to stretch the image.  I haven't tested that on these emulators, but if it is working and there is no slow down.  Please report it.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2018, 12:31:14 pm »
I compiled pocketSNES for the K3P, but its even slower than snes9x4d

For the "its not optimized" part I read a lot in this and the RS97 thread: There are limits of what can be "optimized".
The emulators we use currently on the devices are all originally ported for the A320 which was slower and had less RAM. This means that they where already optimized to be as fast as possible on the slow device. I see not much room for more optimization. What could be used is the MXU instructions of the cpu, bit it looks like a real pain to use those. The other option are the compile flags to utilize the mmu, but that is what steward is already doing. Overclocking is always an option.

Do not keep your hopes up for 50% speed increase in snes emulation.

For the start / shutdown images: show_pic.dge is the program showing the shutdown image. The image is included in the program itself. Replacing this would be easy. The start image is not a file but probably a bitmap blob somewhere  in the first 4mb of the image. It is raw data. You have to use a hex editor to find the offset and length

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2018, 06:22:24 pm »

You have a Spectrum emulator here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,646

I haven't tested it yet... Please report if you can make it work.
I think I've read somewere that Zoom option comes with a little overhead... As I don't use it, I can't confirm.

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »
Still trying to make mame4all to work... I'm trying to do a wrapper script to make mame dump its output to stderr.txt and stdout.txt, but it doesn't dump anything... A few questions:

- Is it possible to compile mame4all with debug output activated?
- If not, does somebody know if there is any way to modify cfg/default.cfg to make mame dump debug information? Since it seems to have a strange format, I doubt there is an easy way to modify it, but I'm asking just in case...

Don't really know if this is the right forum for this kind of questions. If there is some better place please let me know.

Also, since I'm a hard Atari 2600 fan, I've managed to adapt the Atari dmenu theme (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,255) for the K3P. It's highly customized for my needs, I've removed many things in the original theme and added others... if anyone is interested in it let me know.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2018, 01:40:32 pm »
Still trying to make mame4all to work... I'm trying to do a wrapper script to make mame dump its output to stderr.txt and stdout.txt, but it doesn't dump anything... A few questions:

- Is it possible to compile mame4all with debug output activated?
- If not, does somebody know if there is any way to modify cfg/default.cfg to make mame dump debug information? Since it seems to have a strange format, I doubt there is an easy way to modify it, but I'm asking just in case...

Don't really know if this is the right forum for this kind of questions. If there is some better place please let me know.

Also, since I'm a hard Atari 2600 fan, I've managed to adapt the Atari dmenu theme (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,255) for the K3P. It's highly customized for my needs, I've removed many things in the original theme and added others... if anyone is interested in it let me know.

Working with redirect is a pain. It probably segfaults before it redirects anything. If you really want to develop you need the UART serial console. https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/pap-kiii-plus-(dingux-480x272-screen)/msg171007/#msg171007

I compiled mame with my toolchain and it kind of works. I tried the game "1941" and it plays, but I have problems with the scaler and I get a flickering distorted bottom screen. I tried to make a package of the toolchain I used, but it seems its only working in my own home directory. If someone knows ho to generate a usable toolchain with buildroot, let me know.

Princebatman

« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2018, 03:24:19 pm »

For the start / shutdown images: show_pic.dge is the program showing the shutdown image. The image is included in the program itself. Replacing this would be easy. The start image is not a file but probably a bitmap blob somewhere  in the first 4mb of the image. It is raw data. You have to use a hex editor to find the offset and length

Replacing the .dge program to run the pic would be easy or finding the pic in the hex and replacing that would be easy?

If this could happen, getting a new pic, it'd really complete the look of the dmenu, which I really prefer at this point.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »
Changing the shutdown image is easy.

If the device is shut down, the script /usr/local/sbin/ne_inform is called. The script kills all active emulators (or tries) and then calls /boot/local/sbin/show_pic.dge to display the image. I already edit this file during install to include the new dmenu. This call can be modified to point to another program to display a custom image. I already did something similar while mounting as usb-drive.

This small program here https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/viewimage/main.cpp displays usb.png until a button is pressed and then exits.

The cpp could be changed to use the image from the command line instead of the hardcoded usb.png

rbg_gamer

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
Dumb question... how did you get full screen in FBA?

Been messing around and tks for all the hard work!

I finally made another release of the dmenu.

New in this release:
- added preview images for roms: Supported are only png files named exactly like the rom without extension
- filtering of files in rom folder using extensions: The save state files are not showing up anymore ;D

I changed the paths of some sdl emulators to look for e.g roms/gba and roms/gba_previews. Look at the themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg for how it is configured.

The position of the preview image is fixed, its best to use 200px wide images. If the image is larger, it gets clipped.

Have fun!
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.5.zip

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORgGa9ZA1Y" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORgGa9ZA1Y</a>

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
That's the default emulator that came with the device. It starts default in fullscreen

rbg_gamer

« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »
Oh ok, the FBA emulators in alternative emulators is way smoother and i could not find any "full screen" settings.

That's the default emulator that came with the device. It starts default in fullscreen

rbg_gamer

« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2018, 09:21:41 pm »
Messing around with the alternative emulators vs built-in.

GBA

builtin... running Golden Sun is horrible... unplayable, i'm talking like possibly 15-20fps, with aweful frameskip

gpSP... running Golden Sun, beginning scene has lots scene motion, it runs about 40-47fps... not bad... overclocked the cpu to 600mhz, bingo, steady 53-56fps, which is extremley playable and very enjoyable.

I prefer playing RPGs on this unit WAY more than my AGS101 as the screen size and form factor is just way better.

Seems it tops out about 624Mhz... got a screen garbling if i went higher for any length of time.  I'll do some more testing.  Mario Kart runs 60fps frameskip off.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:36:42 pm by rbg_gamer »

Princebatman

« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »

GBA

builtin... running Golden Sun is horrible... unplayable, i'm talking like possibly 15-20fps, with aweful frameskip

gpSP... running Golden Sun, beginning scene has lots scene motion, it runs about 40-47fps... not bad... overclocked the cpu to 600mhz, bingo, steady 53-56fps, which is extremley playable and very enjoyable.

I prefer playing RPGs on this unit WAY more than my AGS101 as the screen size and form factor is just way better.

Seems it tops out about 624Mhz... got a screen garbling if i went higher for any length of time.  I'll do some more testing.  Mario Kart runs 60fps frameskip off.

How do you overclock emulators? and does it stick upon reboot, or do you have to overclock each time you startup?

rbg_gamer

« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:48 pm »
Yeah just using the overclock tool, loses it on reboot.  I have no clue how to program/code (sadly as I work in IT as my day job)

Play quite a bit of Mario Kart GBA on gpSP, unit running at 624Mhz and haven't had any issues... I'm not gonna say it's 24/7 stable but so far so good.

GBA

How do you overclock emulators? and does it stick upon reboot, or do you have to overclock each time you startup?

Princebatman

« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2018, 01:32:17 am »
Yeah just using the overclock tool, loses it on reboot.  I have no clue how to program/code (sadly as I work in IT as my day job)

Play quite a bit of Mario Kart GBA on gpSP, unit running at 624Mhz and haven't had any issues... I'm not gonna say it's 24/7 stable but so far so good.

GBA

Ahh, that's what I was thinking.  Steward made it so you could press select and edit the overclock on each individual emulator.  And it sticks after reboot. 

rbg_gamer

« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2018, 02:18:05 am »
Yeah it will hold the overclock because if I exit the emulator Dmenu will show the current overclock speed at the top.

Good news, the built-in SNES emulator 'almost' runs at full speed when CPU is at 624Mhz.  Looks horrible fullscreen, so I set it as "closed" and frameskip 0.  There is no way i can see the fps, but it feels 'close' to full speed.

*some CPS2/CPS1 bulit-in looks to be running flawlessly now as well at 624Mhz

Neo geo built-in looks to be running full speed actually at 624... i hate how the "closed" video settings won't fill top and bottom, ugh.  Stretched looks awful in 16:9

The built in GBA emulator is just awful... clocked the CPU to 680Mhz just for fun... still it ran like TRASH for Golden Sun... other games seem to do ok though.

GBA

Ahh, that's what I was thinking.  Steward made it so you could press select and edit the overclock on each individual emulator.  And it sticks after reboot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:00:24 am by rbg_gamer »

ducdreamer

« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:56 pm »
After after much trial and error I have come to a point where I don't know how to proceed. My goal was to port the cfw from steward to the K3P. But now I'm not sure of it. Here are the things I tried:

I put stewards fw on a sdcard and booted it. Works as expected with the wrong screen settings etc. After that I check the possibility to run stewards fw from the external sdcard. flashing the internal card and opening the device is not so easy with the K3P. I checked the original firmware and it supports chroot! That means you can put any rootfs on the external sd-card and mount it as new root without changing the internal card!

I compiled my own rootfs with some changes with the configuration from steward and tried to port some emulators. I started with the git from steward and his changes to the emulators are very hard to track and a little, lets say destructive. They work for the RS97 and nowhere else. The problem with the tracking is, that he often commited patched code as initial commit. No way to know what changes he made but to find the original source and check that against the git repo.

I figured that the repos of dmitrysmagin are the source of some of the emulators steward and I used from the RZX-50. 
I compiled the snes9x4d and ran it on the K3P. I was very disappointed. I had hoped for at least a small performance increase compared to default fw and the precompiled version of snes9x4d  for the stock fw. There is none that I could see.

My next test was gngeo. I read in the RS97 thread that it runs neo-geo at 60fps on stewards fw. I compiled it for my test on the K3P and ran "Puzzle Bobble / Magic Drop". I got barely 45fps with drops to 30. Tested on the RS97 and its the same. No where near 60fps

I don't think that implementing the hardware IPU scaling will bring up the FPS either. As far as I know, scaling was only used to bring the original resolution of the emulated hardware to the resolution of the device, but even with the unscaled image of the snes, emulation is still to slow, so scaling isn't the main problem.

For OpenDingux: I tried the opendingux rootfs and used chroot on it. With this, you can run all the software from the the opendingux localpack. Problem is, that some of it seems to be optimized for the A320 IPU and you get a distorted screen and a lot of "unkown function" messages in the console. Disabling the scaling sometimes helps.

I think I'm with @lemmywinks here: The device is cheap and not bad for what it does, but has severe limitations.
Right now I think it would be better to compile some software for the stockfw instead of doing it all over with a new fw.
I would love to see python and pygame on the device.

What are your thoughts?

I think:
1) Stewards build not as optimized as can be.
2) Try this https://github.com/Nebuleon/PocketSNES
3) IPU in opendingux a320 is disabled in the kernel.

Hello Jack83,
How can I let the device boot from the external sd?
Now every time I have to open the machine.
Also compiling software and optimizing the emulators seems A good thing as the device itself is not to bad
I hope to read your solution about booting from the external sd
Greetings Herman
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:51:46 pm by ducdreamer »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic