• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (JZ4760) (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 136449 times)

Princebatman

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2018, 12:26:11 am »
@Jack83 I understand your dilemma.  Right now Steward and the community are in excitement with the rs-97.  Steward is implementing "what's possible" on the device right now.  From the release notes, a lot is going on.  I think it's great and fun. 

Personally, I would prefer the approach to start small and get bigger.  As in, make nes, sms, gb(c), snes, and genesis all stable emulators running optimally.  And continue to add to that list as an emulator has become stable.  After emulators, work on gui, backgrounds, themes, apps, and visual goodness.

It seems the approach now is to go huge and hopefully in future releases back down to things that are running 95-100% and optimal.

That being said, if you can't work with the stuff Steward is doing... You're spinning your wheels at this point.  Maybe in the future that will change.

I definitely think that you should continue to work on what you've done with the stock firmware at this point.  Or play around with anything that could make the existing emulators you have put together for the kiii plus to run better.  Check out the Pocketsnes that @blackz1982 mentioned.  And someone mentioned Dingux-2600, Stella and Dingux-7800 as running well.  So you could check those out and see if you could do anything with them.  Keeping the best of the best on your dmenu project is something I would look highly upon.

I just found the backup file that you linked.  So I will try out your dmenu and emulators.  But from the sounds of it, your work is more on par to what I like (more optimal performance emulators).  In not so many words, less is more. 

Keep up the good work!  And keep pushing forward!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:33:03 am by Princebatman »

Soul_Est

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2018, 04:12:30 am »
My thoughts are @Jack83 , that working with what you have first while developing something better is a smart way forward. I have seen this quite a bit in the Windows Mobile era and furthermore with Android. Install new programs or replace installed programs on the stock firmware to improve functionality and only build and install a new fireware if it adds a lot to the experience.

The current firmware seems pretty solid on the PAP KIII Plus, RS-97, and Gameta II. The programs merely need changing and improving. Getting these programs running and optimized for all three devices would be ideal.

Then the focus can be shifted to building a better community firmware for the three devices to run these programs as well. This firmware would have extra features for hardware and low-level software interaction such as overclocking, RTC, wired networking, more backlight levels, etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:11:18 am by Soul_Est »

Princebatman

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:04 am »
Hi all! I've just bought this little handheld, installed dmenu and the emulators package from JackD83, and I want to say I'm really happy with it! The stock emulators were really bad, specially the NES one, but now with FCEU it runs like a charm! Thank you for all your great work! I also installed Dingux-2600, Stella and Dingux-7800 from openhandhelds.org, and they run nice too! Altough not in native resolution, but centered on the screen it looks OK for me. However, I've tested some versions of MAME4ALL from openhandhelds.org with no success, the best I've got is screen corruption and returning to dmenu. I'm fairly new to Dingux/OpenDingux, but I have huge experience in Linux, mostly in Slackware, Debian and Ubuntu, and I could try compiling MAME4ALL for the PAP KIII Plus, but I don't know where to start... Do you know of some binary version of MAME4ALL that works in our console, or could you please point me to some guide where I can learn how to compile it?

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker, and thank you all again!

I agree.  I've been testing this out today and it's sleek.  Btw, you can change button mapping on fceux in the config file.  In my opinion, jump should always be mapped to the bottom button.

A few questions, which roms work for this version of fba? The emulator @Jack83 has in the pack.  I'm going to a black screen.

Also, I couldn't find a config file for some of the other emulators gbc sms, to change button mapping.  Is there a way to do this in code @Jack83?

If you do use other emulators like the Atari ones,  what image can you use to put in the alternative emulators section?

I love the simplistic look of this dmenu and would like to keep it looking good.

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2018, 01:37:29 pm »

You compile MAME4ALL for Dingoo Native?
Dingoo Native= Official firmware=?C/OS-II not Dingux on K3P.

Hi! As far as I know, my mame4all sources are for Dingux. I got it from http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,227

Don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm getting the toolchain from http://sience.schattenkind.net/mipsel-gcc4.3.3-toolchain.zip

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2018, 01:51:37 pm »

I agree.  I've been testing this out today and it's sleek.  Btw, you can change button mapping on fceux in the config file.  In my opinion, jump should always be mapped to the bottom button.

A few questions, which roms work for this version of fba? The emulator @Jack83 has in the pack.  I'm going to a black screen.

Also, I couldn't find a config file for some of the other emulators gbc sms, to change button mapping.  Is there a way to do this in code @Jack83?

If you do use other emulators like the Atari ones,  what image can you use to put in the alternative emulators section?

I love the simplistic look of this dmenu and would like to keep it looking good.

I've not tested the alternative emulators for CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo for the same reason, but I think I've read somewhere that the stock roms in the K3P are not valid for the alternative emulators, it seems that you have to convert them with some tools, but I don't remember the details now... sorry

I didn't mess too much with button mapping neither with icons, I have a severe lack of spare time... for Stella I've used a nice icon in the emulator folder (stella.png), and for the rest of emulators I use emulation_icon.png in dmenu/res/subIcons folder.

By the way, I've also installed ScummVM, It's been nice and fun to complete again The Secret of Monkey Island this weekend, 25 year after the first time... :)

TomelloSoulMan

« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2018, 02:12:51 pm »
@Jack83 like many others, I think the way to go now is to use the stock firmware and make the emulators work as better as possible. Of course I would love to see many things working in the K3P like usb network and many others, but hey, in the end this is a gaming device (a pretty good one for the bucks I think), and I think it's the main function that it has to perform...

As said, I'm pretty new in Dingux and OpenDingux, but I'm here to help in anything I can. Altough I'm a system administrator, not a coder, and as such I have not the skills to make huge hacks in the code, but I'm willing to do my best to help :)

Princebatman

« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:02 am »
When you boot the device on, the image is Super Game with a fish.  Is there a way to change this boot image?

Princebatman

« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2018, 06:22:21 am »
Testing of Dingo Games.  Some you need to add the .dge at the end of the file.

Working:
Cave Story
Ganbare! Natsuki-San!
Giana Sisters
MrDrillux
Supertux
The Legend of Zelda - Return of the Hylian
The Legend of Zelda Oni Link Begins
Unamed Monkey Game

I was surprised to find these not working:
OpenTyrian
Rockbot

Btw, I used center screen to play all of these.  Some play native and full, others crash in native.

If anyone has others running, please let me know.

lemmywinks

« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:00 am »
Pretty sure I have OpenTyrian working fine on mine.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

VanZan

« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:09 am »
When you boot the device on, the image is Super Game with a fish.  Is there a way to change this boot image?

Oh my God isn't it awful??!?!?! ;D It just makes me feel like a cheap bastard every time! ;D

Princebatman

« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »
Pretty sure I have OpenTyrian working fine on mine.

I got my version from the openhandhelds site.  It definitely wasn't working in native or centered, just crashed the 4 times I tried.  It's a sweet game along with Rockbot... Hopefully there's a different way to get them running.

Princebatman

« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

Oh my God isn't it awful??!?!?! ;D It just makes me feel like a cheap bastard every time! ;D

With this new simple but sleek dmenu, the console is starting to grow on me.  That damn boot up picture is killing it though.  Has anybody found a way to change it?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2018, 02:58:11 pm »
The boot image is part of the uboot bootloader. Not easy to change. The image is somewhere in the first 4mb of the sdcard :P

Princebatman

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2018, 03:09:00 pm »
The boot image is part of the uboot bootloader. Not easy to change. The image is somewhere in the first 4mb of the sdcard :P

I have limited, let's just say zero on how to access that area to even look for something.  Would it have a .jpeg,.gif, or .png format?  Or is it hidden in code?

lemmywinks

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:16 pm »
I got my version from the openhandhelds site.  It definitely wasn't working in native or centered, just crashed the 4 times I tried.  It's a sweet game along with Rockbot... Hopefully there's a different way to get them running.

Got mine from there too I think and it's working great:

I got Gianas Return working on mine and also Sqrxz4 but that seems a little fast to me. Obviously you probably already know about OhBoy, Hugo and CZDoom1.0.

I quite like the fish boot screen, reminds me of the crappy origins of the system and makes me appreciate the improved emulators more. Besides with that bright green power light shining through the dpad there's no getting away from the fact it's a cheap handheld, might as well embrace it!
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

VanZan

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:32 am »

I have limited, let's just say zero on how to access that area to even look for something.  Would it have a .jpeg,.gif, or .png format?  Or is it hidden in code?

I had a quick dig around in the.img file I made of the internal sd card. Best I could do was a program called show_pic.dge in the second partition (local/sbin).

Sadly no png files of a fish or streetfighter characters just begging to be deleted!

Jutleys

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:18 am »
Need to dig deeper the file could be hidden they made it so it can't be found so easily.If I get time I will take a look see if I can track it down.

Princebatman

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2018, 01:58:31 am »
@Jack83 I really am liking this menu.  I have a question about centering the top icons.  Basically I deleted the music, picture, ect. icons.  I only want 2, Games and System.  They are to the left of the screen. 

What and where should I type something in the theme config file to center those?

I'm basically trying to arrange this to make it super simple.  I'm getting rid of all of the native emulators   that run worse...except for cps1,2, and Neo Geo (basically because I can't get or know the right fba romset to use for the alternative emulator... I may just remove that until I do)

I want this thing to do the best it can, if it can't run something well, like Atari lynx, I'm taking it off.  I can play that on my gpd XD.

Kiiip will be a go to for the core consoles with it's Japanese counterparts (SNES, SFC, Genesis, Japanese Megadrive, NES, FC, FDS, SMS, GBA, GBC, GB, GG). 12 systems with respective romsets that play well is pretty sweet.  Especially for the price of the kiiip!

Princebatman

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2018, 04:39:08 am »
Need to dig deeper the file could be hidden they made it so it can't be found so easily.If I get time I will take a look see if I can track it down.

If you find that file.  That'd be a game changer for me.  I basically have this system looking and running optimally except for the darn boot up and shut down pic.

Princebatman

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2018, 08:12:19 am »
@jutley btw, what program are you using to look for the picture.  Are you looking at the backup.bin?

I'd like to take a peek and see if I can find anything.

I'm also wondering if the settings in the snes emulator could be changed to full screen and recompiled to a
.dge  and how to do that @Jack83

Post a new topic