Author Topic: PAP KIII: Chinese PMP with Dingoo Software  (Read 38112 times)

dmitry_smagin

Re: PAP KIII: Chinese PMP with Dingoo Software
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:21 am »
Is it the same (or similar) process as the Dingoo? Also, do you happen to know which Dingoo model (A320\A330\etc) this thing is closest to?
Dingoo A380 is the closest one. Not completely identical hardware-wise (different screen, different pcb, button mapping), but most compatible software-wise. In brief: everything that runs on A380 must run unchanged on pap kiii, because both have legacy dingux firmware.
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

onthebridge

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
So no pcsx emulator, right?

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

DashKrimson

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:11 am »
Hi, first post.

I just got one of these a few days ago from AliExpress, and I noticed that the CPS2 and Neo-Geo games suffer from severe stutter and freezing during play, so I would very much welcome new firmware to maybe fix the issue. I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for all your efforts.

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:56 pm »
@onthebridge
Try to run pcsx4all for Dingoo A320 (it's here on this forum), it has to work.

@DashKrimson
I doubt that there will be updates. For arcade games try FBA for Dingoo a320 (search the link on this forum), it may run as well.

surfaceprogamer

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »
hello, i have a problem with my pap k3 plus, yesterday after finish the batery turn off, now the green light its every times on green and i cant shutdown, i can only turn on with the ac pluged and without batery, i think is a semibrick, some one can send me a image of the internal sd, made with Win32 Disk Imager of pap k3 plus, ,

im watching the people are installing a gopher firmware and rx 50 firmware, how can i change the firmware, or some one can help to restore my pap k3 plus, THANKS a LOT, sorry for my bad english

Jellyfish

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 04:38:35 am »
@dmitry_smagin Thanks so much for clarifying/confirming for everyone what model this thing is ripping off based on :)

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 05:12:09 pm »
Here's my 3 part PAP KIII review from 2013 when it was a new system.

https://youtu.be/3g_27WOqIqQ

https://youtu.be/Lvoww0kk4bw

https://youtu.be/74uiW7nVfP8

As you can see, I wasn't impressed with it.

I asked before but does anyone know if it's possible to reflash mine to the firmware you guys are running now?

sagadego

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 06:27:42 pm »
@Pardue  I'm guessing the. Pap kIII plus is the better model?, 'cause I just tried out alien vs preadtors on this and it had no framerate issues from what I noticed so far.

DashKrimson

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:30 pm »
@sagadego Yes, the KIII Plus is supposed to be an upgraded model.

@dmitry_smagin I'm afraid I'm a total n00b at this dingoo malarky, so I have no idea how to install files to it. So could you please point me to a tutorial or something that I can follow so I don't eff up?

Jim Goose

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 11:52:43 pm »
Excuse me for being new and a bit unknowledged. I saw a handheld from awhile ago that had an Actions ATM MIPS chip. I think it was either the ATM7013 or ATM7019, but I am not sure if I remember correctly. I wanted to buy one of those and run opendingux on it since those seem to have a Vivante GC800 GPU. But I am not sure, this is all a lot of speculation on my part. I saw some of the chinese handhelds were run off SD cards that you had to reflash after opening the handhelds.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

rpgbeater

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 02:58:49 am »
Wait... so PAP KIII Plus is the newer model of PAP KIII.... but what is PAP KIIIS ?
Handhelds: GBC, GBA SP, DS, DSi, O3DS, N3DS Xl, PSP 3000, PSP Go, Dingoo A320, Dingoo A330, Gemei A330.

Consoles: Wii, PS3, 360.

nchaaa

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 10:59:41 am »
Hi everyone,

I purchased one of this PAPKIIIS and tried to reflash the FW with an updated one found on a youtube link.. Now the device does not even boot.

Does anyone can help me here ?

I am using SW like Win32DiskImager to write the SDcard of the device

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »
Kiii and K3S are not compatible on firmware level (they do on software though). KIII has jz4755 and 480x272 screen, and K3S has jz4760 soc and 800x480 screen.
You'll have to find an original firmware image, sorry for that.

Jellyfish

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 12:55:35 am »
Found this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ww3BA7Ea62RVNBWGdNUVA4SUk/view shared by a guy named Matt Larose on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84FyAnq8U4. I haven't downloaded it myself 'cause it would be pretty much useless to me. The comment says it is a 'newer' firmware for the PAP KIII device.
Good luck gentlemen and ladies  ;)

Update: Unfortunately I have been unable to mess with mine (it just came earlier today) due to my inabilty to locate a Windows 10 compatible USB driver.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:47:19 am by Jellyfish »

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:38 am »
Update: Unfortunately I have been unable to mess with mine (it just came earlier today) due to my inabilty to locate a Windows 10 compatible USB driver.

The link above is for internal sd-card, you don't need a usb driver. Insert this card to your laptop and write the image directly to it.

Jellyfish

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:22 am »
Did that. Popping in the firmware-flashed SD and booting it up has no visible effect.
What now?

Jack83

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 09:54:31 am »
I just ordered a "PAP KIII" and got a "PAP KIIIS" in a "PAP KIII Plus" package :'( The new screen of the KIIIS is really bad and the emulators run either in a tiny window or streched to 16:9 fullscreen. Argh!
I made a backup of internal sd card and can upload the image if someone is interested.

Tools like the dinguxcommander http://beyondds.free.fr/index.php?Dingoo-dinguxcommander do work and I looked around. There are scripts to put the display in a "a320" mode. This results either in a stretched image or the small in the middle, meaning this function is not part of the emulators. I tried to exchange the build in emulators with other versions, but the partition is mounted read-only. Is there any way around that? Is it possible to access the running device from a PC? I would like to poke around  ;D

SashaX

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 05:39:26 pm »
I have the PAP KIII PLUS.
Its possible to run emulators of the dingoo A380 then? Or to flash te PAP to a Dingoo A380?

Im new at it, the gadget arrived today.

Best regards

algorithm

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 12:04:59 am »
Right, I decide to order this device a few days ago from amazon..    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072ZP9HMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the screenshots, it seemed to be the Pap Kiii Plus.   When it arrived, here are the pictures of the box and manual..

Could it be a Pap III plus?  Lets see..

According to a few other forums which I had visited, it seems to match the firmware that's on some of the PAPKIII Plus devices so all seems well.   However, I decided to open up the device and below are the findings.

Battery is removable and the high capacity variant so all is well here..

CPU is the Jz4760 which is used on both the Pap KIII Plus and Pap KIIIS.. We know that the above is definitely not a standard Pap KIII

And what do we have here?   Motherboard markings showing PAP_K3S_V3_DDR_V2.0....
So it seems as if it is really a PAPK3S but using some modified firmware that's usually available for the PAP KIIIPlus (Super Game Firmware LN430)

Now time for some of my other findings.

On some PAPKIII devices, you can update the firmware by placing specific files on the root of the SD, then going into system settings and updating.   This model does not allow this.   

However, it is possible to boot the Device into Bootloader/Flash mode by the following..

Turn off device.  Remove its connection from PC (USB).
Connect USB
Hold Down Start Key and Hold down the power button for a few seconds.
Windows should detect and install the drivers.   (On my windows 10 machine, it seems to have automatically loaded the JZ4760 Boot driver, but on second attempt I had to disable device signing on windows and point it to the JZ4755 boot driver (Found with the Ingenix Flash tools).    I attempted to flash the RZX 50 firmware to it (I knew it wont work, just wanted to see if it would flash, but to no avail)

Ofcourse I made a backup of the MicroSD card in the device.  It seems pretty much like a raspberry PI in that the whole firmware is on the MicroSD.  (As long as you have made a backup with win32diskimager or similar, the device should be able to recover from a brick by writing this backup back to the microsd)

Ofcourse new firmware can also be written by obtaining or creating images that can be written to microsd too.

In order to view file contents on Windows 10 (Roms etc) many people have had some issues.    The solution that works 100% is to do the following

Turn device off and unplug from usb.
Plug it back to usb
Then turn on the handheld.   After a few seconds, it will detect and allow you to view the contents of the Fat32 Partition.

I have also experimented in running opendingux applications (With the .dge extension)  Some run well no issue  (E.g Atari Lynx Emulator and Vice (C64 Emulator)

There are a few that run in a smaller screen size which also then brings me to the point of the screen resolution of this device..  If it is a Pap KIIIS, It would have 800x480 resolution or similar..    For the 320x240 dingoo apps which do not scale,  it filles 2/3rds of the screen horizontally  (320 pixels on a 480 pixel viewport?)  which may indicate that the resolution of my device is actually 480x272 (Which then would indicate its not a PAP KIIIS?)

For the Price, Cant really complain.  Gameboy advance games seem to run pretty well on it actually.   I have found issues with audio grating (Maybe audio buffer size too small?).    Unfortunately even in pixel perfect mode (1:1) it does not seem to give silky smooth scrolling  (Regardless if its via TV-Out or built in screen).  I Know some handhelds have unusual screen hz rates (57hz etc).

.APP files do not seem to run on this firmware.  (Would have been nice to try out 7 days and some 3d games on it, but nothing at the moment..)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:11:03 am by algorithm »

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »
Thanks for the photos, @algorithm, very informative!
The screen is indeed 480x272, hence the model is K3 plus and not K3S. The pcb is the same for both models, however (why not?). K3S has additional frame around the screen like here: https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/3-5-Portable-Handheld-Game-Console-64BIT-PAP-KIIIS-Games-Perfectly-support-CP-GBA-format-games/32809608119.html

The question remains, how much ram it has? Most probably 64Mb but 128Mb also possible.

Could you run an attached file dmesg.txt (rename it to dmesg.dge before)? It will dump dmesg output to log.txt. Could you post its contents on pastebin.com ?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic