Author Topic: Pap Gameta II Plus Custom Firmware  (Read 9434 times)

BVP

Re: Pap Gameta II Plus Custom Firmware
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2018, 05:31:47 am »
1. Is there a way to keep the default scrolling games in the main menu since it has been removed? In /themes/cool_res/games_icon/ I can see only BattleCity pictures. I guess you deleted all others. Can I get them somehow back? Eventually from default SD card that came with the console?

Yes.  In the tutorial I mention replacing some config with a transparent image: Simply copy the original config (ipen_en folder I think?  Not sure this is from memory) from your original SD card instead to get the games back in the UI.  You will then need to copy the game files themselves from the Fat32 partition of the original SD card to the Fat32 partition of your 16GB card, and it should just work.

2. Where do I put apps folder (@BVP provided calc, countdown, dgclock, dingus-write and startwatch + I want to download and try others)? Do I put those apps in 3.6 GB Fat32 partition or 105 MB Drive under /apps?

Technically either works as long as there is space for the app to be copied to the partition (really just an issue with the 105MB partition due to it's limited size).  Just modify the UI config accordingly if you want the menus and things to see them, but you can also navigate to either place from the File Explorer to start any app you want (and as long as the app executable ends with the .dge extension).

3. Is there an emulator (Linux or Windows) to test all these before putting the SD Card back in the Console?

Not to my knowledge.  It might technically be possible to re-create the (arm-based?) HW using virtual machine software, but I have no idea how to do that.  I just tested changes and experimented on the real device, removing the card, modifying, and replacing again over and over (and over and over and over) again until it was what I wanted.

hosenfefer

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
Thanks a lot.
I will test it this weekend and eventually put it on youtube

BVP

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 11:27:53 pm »
Post the link if/when you do!  Would love to see what your mods look like :)

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »
Post the link if/when you do!  Would love to see what your mods look like :)
i to would be interested to see more people working on mods.

hosenfefer

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:45 pm »
As promised, here is the video:
https://youtu.be/A7TYKz2i7cU

Sorry for waiting so long.
Tell me what you think and if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:40 pm »
As promised, here is the video:
https://youtu.be/A7TYKz2i7cU

Sorry for waiting so long.
Tell me what you think and if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

cool.
i axially have another project ive been in the RnD stage with a handheld console based on the raspberry pi. i have seen alot of people make decent attempts but none of them ever stacked up to my expectations. its still in the very early stages but i intend to build a dev kit with all the bells and whistles and maybe just maybe do a kickstarter to start production of the units. the intent is the build a upgrade-able / mod-able / open source handheld console that is ready to use out of the box. 

greasehoot

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 01:06:51 pm »
My k3 booted up to a black screen. I am stupid and didnt back up my stock firmware. How can I get back to the og firmware or reload this cf? I get the Super Game screen but then it just loads to a black screen. Any ideas?

hosenfefer

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 08:08:14 pm »
My k3 booted up to a black screen. I am stupid and didnt back up my stock firmware. How can I get back to the og firmware or reload this cf? I get the Super Game screen but then it just loads to a black screen. Any ideas?

Terrible mistake! Never overwrite original SD Card. Just buy another one, it costs less then 10$/euros.
Format SD card and use Etcher one more time to write image on it. Don't change anything after that. Just put SD card back into the console and it will work.
First time flashing I also got black screen. After rewrite and being carefull I got it to work.

hosenfefer

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2018, 08:17:47 pm »
Here are few pictures of the whole operations.
I have one more question:
How can I use joypad on PAP Gameta 2? I saw on aliexpress you can buy this console with wireless controlers, but I can't find adapter for this slot. Is it mini HDMI? Is there an adapter for mini HDMI to USB???

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2018, 03:58:36 am »
the wireless controllers they show on the box and in adverts where a feature they scraped near the end of production to save money but its still shown even when its not a feature.

hosenfefer

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2018, 06:34:20 pm »
the wireless controllers they show on the box and in adverts where a feature they scraped near the end of production to save money but its still shown even when its not a feature.

Are you sure?
Here you could buy a console with wireless controllers:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dual-External-Controllers-PAP-Gameta-2-Handheld-Game-Console-with-400-Games-4-16-9-TFT/32676846564.html

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2018, 09:55:58 pm »
i spent some time checking in to this exact thing a while back there isn't any chip on the device to even have wireless controllers not to mention look at the box they come in there is no way the controllers would even fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRqQeG_IFQ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-PAP-Gameta-II-4-1-Inches-64-Bit-Multimedia-Portable-Gaming-Console/32809390752.html

i would also consider the pap gameta ii a waste of money mine don't even work anymore its cheap china junk.
the battery is to small the hardware is subpar its lacking in features and software support.
raspberry pi3b+ is only 35$ and so much more powerful and the software support is huge.
if you check out the video of my current project you can see what i'm talking about.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:09:54 pm by Vert »

lozonin

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 01:11:17 am »
Dear Vert, I downloaded and successfully installed pap_gameta_ii_plus_R1.img
The problem is that I don't see the thumbnails of the games, just one "folder". I wanted to go back to the original firmware but the back up I did was not working. Can someone help providing a different version of the custom firmware or the original firmware. Or give me some hints to solve the issue. Thank!

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 04:46:56 am »
i removed the preinstalled game scrolling thumbnail interface from my firmware its meant to be that way.

Tonicl

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2019, 03:46:47 pm »
Hello everybody,

I have tried a lot of things but I can't add new roms to the internal card because when I connect the card to the computer running windows it doesn't detect the card. If I use the external card I can't install new games neither.

Any help?

BVP

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 05:36:05 pm »
The internal card is formatted as ext filesystems used by Linux, I'm not surprised you would have issues with Windows.  You'll have to be more specific what "can't install new games" means on an external card.  It should be formatted as fat32 and just be copied to the card, anywhere (not 'installed').  Do you see them in the File Explorer on the gameta?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic