Author Topic: Pap Gameta II Plus Custom Firmware  (Read 9433 times)

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
Pap Gameta II Plus Custom Firmware
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:25 pm »
The Pap Gameta II Plus runs DINGUX.

Custom Firmware Change Log

Release V1 Ready To Use
Added Reboot/Shutdown menu
Added Swap on/off menu
Reworked folder use
Theme visual changes
Update menu added
Scrolling games moved with the rest you may notice a place holder folder icon it does nothing
Menus are no longer limited by file extension or folder
Removed unused themes only english support
Loaded complete original roms in to new file structure + Emu's
Able to load content fron internal or external SD card from the device
Currently the only ways to add content is by the top sd card or by removing the internal sd card and use of a card reader
I have gotten windows to read the fat32 drive thru the device several times but its very unreliable and should be avoided
Demo video available in download folder

Install Guide
To use this firmware you will need to remove the 4 screws from the back of your device open the case and remove the internal SD card.
You will then need a card reader for your computer you can use any img write but etcher is in the tool folder.
unzip the image file the use etcher to write the img to the sd card once complete put the sd card back in the device and power up.

Download Folder
(Warning) Backup your original sdcard img before flashing anything just in case.
Both sd card slots support up to 32GB cards.

If and or when i get other devices like this i can modify there firmware as well just need a testing device perhaps i should offer a donate button.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:04:18 pm by Vert »

DKL3

Re: Pap Gameta II Plus Custom Firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:15:15 pm »
Thank you for working on this--I don't want to reopen my PAP Gameta II again until I'm sure that this custom firmware is finished--or at a good enough state. Know what I mean? I wonder if alternatively, for those who don't want to open their PAP Gameta unit, there can be a cfw option for external SD, similar to Jack83's dmenu

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »
Thank you for working on this--I don't want to reopen my PAP Gameta II again until I'm sure that this custom firmware is finished--or at a good enough state. Know what I mean? I wonder if alternatively, for those who don't want to open their PAP Gameta unit, there can be a cfw option for external SD, similar to Jack83's dmenu

I have adapted bits of code from several other dmenu's for this device not sure there is much more to add that works.

DKL3

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »
Would you like to post images of the new features, like the reboot menu?

The screen glitches when trying to turn off the device using Jack83's dmenu, so hopefully your reboot menu function (that you're adding back) will be of use, thanks.

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:01:49 am »
Would you like to post images of the new features, like the reboot menu?

The screen glitches when trying to turn off the device using Jack83's dmenu, so hopefully your reboot menu function (that you're adding back) will be of use, thanks.

Once i have completed a full test phase of everything Release V1 should be ready to go.
In the system menu there's a entry if clicked reboots and another that does shutdown.
most functions are pulled from the A380 dmenu jack83's is not compatible with the version on these.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:06:05 am by Vert »

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:30:23 am »
Release V1 Uploaded Ready To Use
I feel like some good progress has been made but i welcome others to improve and build on what i have started.

DKL3

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 05:17:02 am »
You added an update menu? Is this for subsequent updates that you post here?

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:56 pm »
You added an update menu? Is this for subsequent updates that you post here?
its an existing function that i have not 100% figured out there where many things simply removed from the menu the files where all in place still with no way to open them.

the update system looks to be the same as the update system on the a380 but i dont know alot about it yet.

it seems like the firmware was generic and they removed stuff for each device there where a few things like the calcularor and stopwatch that worked but i dont really see it being usefull.

i may fiddle with the Radio App to see if it functions on the device i dont think it has the hardware for it.

it became very clear they overly locked down this device.

there are many more hidden gems on this device that can be explored it seem like the more i dig the more i found i literally jumped in with only general know how.

the original firmware literally has a PSX emulator and i enabled the menu and tried it the screen stays black but you can hear it start up the boot sound of the psx not sure whats wrong with it.

psx4all loads up and shows the boot screen and sound but games dont load not sure why.

considering connecting the placeholder folder icon to the radio app to fiddle with it at some point.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:14:13 pm by Vert »

DKL3

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:31:48 pm »
How does the radio app work? I've never understood those functions on MP3/4 players... And why did they lock down the device so much? That actually sucks. Also, i'm really concerned about my PAP Gameta II--the back screws are mostly messed up because i unscrewed it too many times by now... :(

Also, just as a gimmick, you could revive the calculator and stopwatch features?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:33:28 pm by DKL3 »

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:52 pm »
How does the radio app work? I've never understood those functions on MP3/4 players... And why did they lock down the device so much? That actually sucks. Also, i'm really concerned about my PAP Gameta II--the back screws are mostly messed up because i unscrewed it too many times by now... :(

Also, just as a gimmick, you could revive the calculator and stopwatch features?

the calculator and stopwatch both work i tried them i just didn't see the point who would ever use them.
the radio app i opened and it runs but i did not plug in headphones to see if it worked the headphones are used as the antenna.
the screws are not really required it snaps together just fine i got tired of doing it that's why i made a port in the case.
i suspect they just disabled everything they didn't think they needed as the firmware seems to be rather generic and not specialized for the device.
most of the apps from here work on the device even some of the opendingux ones.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:21:35 pm by Vert »

DKL3

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:21:23 pm »
Yeah this device does have firmware issues for certain. And I understand why you would not know who'd use either function--i just wonder how they owuld look like on the device, lol.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well--this would be an epic thing to have--fullyfunctional cfw. I wonder when the built in emulators will get fixed--like the GBA one acts really strange when you use the volume buttons.

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »
Yeah this device does have firmware issues for certain. And I understand why you would not know who'd use either function--i just wonder how they owuld look like on the device, lol.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well--this would be an epic thing to have--fullyfunctional cfw. I wonder when the built in emulators will get fixed--like the GBA one acts really strange when you use the volume buttons.

there are newer versions of each of the emulators on the device but there compiled for other systems and may not work 100% i have included a bunch of new emulators i tested that all work in R1.
i feel like R1 is way more useable and open so you can add stuff and make use of the device i made it more logical.
everything use to be locked to this one folder and this set of file extentions now everything opens the file browser and lets you try to load anything *.dge files are programs you can open.
the way its setup in R1 you can download new roms and apps to the top SD card and then use the menus to go to there folder and load them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:20:09 pm by Vert »

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:59 pm »
Demo video now in download folder.

Princebatman

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:57:58 am »
Demo video now in download folder.

Sorry that this is off topic.  I have a pap kiii plus.  I'm interested in getting one of these.  Are they basically the same device?  Anything better about this than the kids plus?

Vert (OP)

• r1v1
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:29 am »
as far as i can tell the devices are nearly identical hardware and they do run the same firmware but due to control configuration the gameta II firmware and the KIII firmware are not interchangeable.
i have flashed the kIII firmware on to my gameta II it does boot but the buttons are all wrong making the device unusable.
i have seen others working on projects for the KIII i do not own one so i have not researched it much.

Giuvi72

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:36 pm »
Hello and thank you for this great work.
Only to say that I'm using Vice emulator and it seems to work. I've played my old love, Paradroid and it's a bit too fast but still usable.

Bien0

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 12:34:20 pm »
Hi there  ;)
I have a question about Gba emulation on gameta 2 plus..is there any way to fix the sound latency problem?
Its like 0,5 - 1 sec delay and it makes it  kinda hard to enjoy the games  :(

BVP

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:53 am »
Just tried it out, works great!  Especially love the PCEngine emulator!

Also PSX4all actually does seem to work, it's just spotty.  Eg Bomberman Party Edition seems to work great (just slight lag) if you load with no BIOS which defaults to the built-in emulated version.  If you load the same ROM with the no-sound emulator (to hope things speed up) it doesn't load at all and I get the same black screen others see.

ducdreamer

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 12:49:49 pm »
Hello Ererybody,
I have put the image on A 8 gb sd card.
But now I try to expand the file system.
But My windows 7 PC will not  see the card and tells me It have to be formatted.
So I cannot use AOMEI partition assistant to make the card 8Gb Again.
What must I use?
I hope to hear from you
Greetings Herman

Princebatman

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:33:26 pm »
Hello Ererybody,
I have put the image on A 8 gb sd card.
But now I try to expand the file system.
But My windows 7 PC will not  see the card and tells me It have to be formatted.
So I cannot use AOMEI partition assistant to make the card 8Gb Again.
What must I use?
I hope to hear from you
Greetings Herman

This may be a similar problem and solution that was posted on the rs-97 topic. I will copy and paste it:

after flashing windows would not see my sd card and demand to format it. if that's the case with you, then you will need to use minitool partition wizard to assign drive letters to partitions on the sd card. what happens is the firmware creates 4 partitons on the sd card. a swap, a root, an apps, and roms. root will likely be drive letter E. apps and roms will have no drive letter at all causing windows to see the whole thing as bad. right click on the apps and roms directorys from within minitool and assign them a drive letter. once you do that everything will work much much better.