Author Topic: NoDingux vs. RetroFW  (Read 364 times)

DieterLaser (OP)

NoDingux vs. RetroFW
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:59 am »
As I understand OpenDingux and RetroFW are Linux distributions which are maintained by different teams and for different devices.

So, while looking to buy an RG300 I saw a few videos of people using the OpenDingux versions that come with the device and games seem to work pretty good. Also there seem to be more emulators coming with OD compared to RFW.

The RetroFW community is great and I really thank all the programmers (in general) for all their hard work. I think its crazy awesome and really what creates this community. I also have an RS97 with RFW on it

But can you generally say RFW works better for JZ47xx Devices? Do people choose RFW because the GBA emu ist better? Or do people rather choose RFW because the community is more vibrant and updates occur more often?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:16:31 pm by DieterLaser »

exorio

Re: OpenDingux vs. RetroFW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:04:06 pm »
I've lost my original firmware (OpenDingux) due to my own stupidity when I received my LDK. So not really sure now. Do you still have LDK's original firmware? If it's not too bothersome, please upload it somewhere.

As for the thread, I'm currently using "Useless Firmware" which was said to be older and outdated than RetroFW. But it works good for me, and it got more games in it, so I stick with it. And seems to be "closer" to OpenDingux.

I did tried both, and by far I don't see any significant difference in terms of emulation performance. But I didn't do any intensive test or benchmarking for that matter too, so i don't have any data to back it up. I bought LDK for playing games, not to benchmark it.

As for which one is "better", well seems that the key persons here suggested RetroFW. Useless is not developed anymore. Also more games are ported gradually. But everything happens under the hood, the users won't see much difference.

I suppose it will help the development if more people are using RetroFW, and promote it everywhere.

Check out the stickies, RetroFW even got couple of new menus and skins.

But for me, I'm good. Untill ROTT, Falling Time, and proper Wolfenstein 3D ported to RetroFW, I'm sticking to Useless.

DieterLaser (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »
When my RG300 arrives I will have 3 Versions of OpenDingux. One Version that came with the FunnyPlaying RS97. Its still going strong and works great and I never understood while some people were hating on it. Second Version is on the SD that came with the second RD97 I bought from Aliexpress. I just put the SD out and used another SD with RetroFW. And the 3rd will be the RG300 Version. Which one do you want? :)

DieterLaser (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:21:16 pm »
I also have good news, scooterspu ported proper Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny and ROTT to RetroFW

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »
Only the Dingoo A320, the GCW Zero, and the RetroMini RS-90 run OpenDingux.
None of the other handhelds you mention.

DieterLaser (OP)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 05:35:30 pm »
Only the Dingoo A320, the GCW Zero, and the RetroMini RS-90 run OpenDingux.
None of the other handhelds you mention.

Sorry for that, but I don't know how to call these versions

DieterLaser (OP)

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 05:40:49 pm »
They have no right to call it OpenDingux as far as I understand

exorio

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:15:03 pm »
When my RG300 arrives I will have 3 Versions of OpenDingux. One Version that came with the FunnyPlaying RS97. Its still going strong and works great and I never understood while some people were hating on it. Second Version is on the SD that came with the second RD97 I bought from Aliexpress. I just put the SD out and used another SD with RetroFW. And the 3rd will be the RG300 Version. Which one do you want? :)

Somebody uploaded the chinese version of RS-97 opendingux. I think I still got it.

I didn't use it since a game that I want don't run on LDK, and other games are glitchy on LDK.

I want the one that came with LDK, not RS-97.

Anyway thanks for the offer.

I also have good news, scooterspu ported proper Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny and ROTT to RetroFW

Well there're other games that I really like on Useless, like Falling Time, KETM, OpenJazz (it's a bit glitchy on Useless but still playable), Reminiscense (flashback port), and some other stuffs.

RetroFW already got Wolf 3D but somehow steam version of wolfenstein 3D don't work with it. Useless uses ECWolf, I don't know what engine that was ported to RetroFW, or which exact version of Wolfenstein that works with it.

Also I notice that some of the firmware (or online repository) got czdoom engine. I suppose that's zdoom for these devices. Maybe it's far fetched to hoping brutal doom to run on it, but we can always cross our finger.

One that included in retrofw is chocolate doom, the engine that tries to match the vanilla doom as close as possible.

[edit]Oh yeah ROTT is already on RetroFW https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/001.%20LDK%20Firmwares/00.%20Ipk%20releases/games/[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:37:03 pm by exorio »

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:03:54 pm »
They have no right to call it OpenDingux as far as I understand
It's not just about branding. The code base from these handhelds is akin to legacy Dingux from the Dingoo A380 era. Meaning that the name itself isn't just the problem. The code itself isn't even related. Now if we would be talking about a fork (like with the RG350) then it's possible to call it an OpenDingux variant (without any expectation of support from the original team).

DieterLaser (OP)

Re: NoDingux vs. RetroFW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 11:17:31 pm »
OK :) I renamed it to NoDingux

Post a new topic