Author Topic: Retro mini RS-90 gba micro handheld  (Read 70158 times)

Verdugo (OP)

Re: New Retro mini: gba micro handheld
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=aYmoR21cmsI
Controles are good but some framerate drops.

bamboori

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
Not sure if I overlooked someone answering this already, but is there any chance of this getting a custom firmware? With the GBA resolution screen it won't make a huge difference in available game systems, but possibly in emulation quality.

gibberish

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:33 pm »
i don't see why it should be impossible, since we have many other handhelds with the same/similar ingenic chip on them with custom firmware. but it takes someone with enough interest to make it happen. not sure if we're a bit late in the day for that, given the likes of GPDs machines etc.

jonothan

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
The main reason I see potential in this device is purely the form factor/price combination.  In recent years, no one has really seen fit to produce any halfway decent devices approaching the Game Boy Micro size class, and if you've tried to price one of those original units then you know the cost for that system is only going up.  It's to the point now that I don't want to take my Micro (which I bought when it was new, so it's still mint) out of the house just because I know that if something did happen to it, I'd never be able to replace it.

As long as this thing's performance doesn't outright suck, there's no reason why it shouldn't become the go-to device for GBA in a truly pocketable format.  My own mental checklist has the following pros:

- The size, obviously
- Common, cheap, replaceable battery
- Possibility of buying a higher capacity battery
- Actual GBMicro quality screen

Potential cons:
- Don't know if controls suck
- Iffy performance?
- Shitty OS build?

In theory, if the build quality is good enough, it could very well be worth the time investment to tweak/optimize the software.

Verdugo (OP)

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
Found this comment under a youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmoR21cmsI&t=8s

Guangsi Han
2 dagen geleden
0. I am Chinese and I knew some review videos will show up online sooner or later and this is one of them, I knew it because this console showed up in the Chinese market a while ago and (Chinese) people had been talking about it in the gaming community since it came out.

1. I was about to preorder one but I ended up changing my mind, because ALL (not most, but ALL) of the gamers who received this console said that it had some serious slow-down and frame-drop issues. For those Pokemon or some RPG/strategy games, it is acceptable, but for those action games, it is literally unplayable. If you ordered this console and have it in hand, try some of the action games, e.g. Contra, Castlevania, Megaman, etc. you will understand what I am talking about in 2-3 minutes. Unless they fixed it or somehow updated the firmware, which I doubt, it will have these issues.

2. The screen on this console IS from the Gameboy Advance Micro, yes, you heard it right, it is literally the old stock screens from some old ware house somewhere in China. If you have the GBM, you can compare them yourself. But this screen here has some strange settings that the color on this screen is a little bit too 'blue' (or say it's a little bit too 'cold'), it might have something to do with the driver. The good thing about the screen, however, is that it has a 1:1 pixel perfect aspect ratio without any stretch.

3. The build quality is pretty good though, the d-pad and face buttons are OK but the shoulder buttons (L and R) are not very comfortable, at least for some people.

4. Overall, I would suggest to do more research before you order. For a time, I was thinking we are finally having a Chinese console that does not suck, but apparently not.

PS: Great video!

gibberish

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 09:06:00 pm »
pretty much what i expected. 2011 levels of GBA emulation are assumed in a CPU from 2011, probably running 1:1 compilations of software from that era. sucks, but what ya gona do.

about the screen, very happy to hear it's 240x160. i would happily take a "cold/blue" LCD of the correct resolution over a vibrant display of the wrong res. you can't have it all.

will see about the placement of the shoulder buttons when it arrives. i can imagine them being awkward for fat handeds like myself.

redlemon

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:56 pm »
Shame 1:1 screens are being wasted on a device with poor emulation.

lemmywinks

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:58 pm »
Shame 1:1 screens are being wasted on a device with poor emulation.

+1

Even more strange when you consider the availability of GBA hardware clones under various guises. Weird they decided to use it with a device incapable of GBA emulation.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

gibberish

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:40 am »
there are no shortage of these screens though, they're still being manufactured and can be picked up for about ?7. to say it's incapable is a bit harsh maybe, but yeah it's frustrating that nobody got it right still.

lemmywinks

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 07:58:20 am »
Ah right, I thought these were NOS that had been found in a warehouse or something. I still bought one anyway, that frameskip looked bearable in the videos I saw. When people start getting these can they test .sms roms using DrSMS please?:
http://www.webpersona.com/drsms/downloads.html

Last time I ordered from FastTech it took about 6 weeks to arrive so I'm not expecting mine to turn up before February!
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

hjkyu

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 03:18:04 pm »
Ah right, I thought these were NOS that had been found in a warehouse or something. I still bought one anyway, that frameskip looked bearable in the videos I saw. When people start getting these can they test .sms roms using DrSMS please?:
http://www.webpersona.com/drsms/downloads.html

Last time I ordered from FastTech it took about 6 weeks to arrive so I'm not expecting mine to turn up before February!

It doesn't work it works painfully slow I tried Sonic 2 on Game Gear and I tried Sonic 1 on sms but the console on its own plays Sega Genesis games just fine I played a gain ground(bin file) and it worked great besides the fact of the screen being too small

lemmywinks

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 04:28:51 pm »
Ah that's disappointing, thanks for letting me know though.
Handhelds:
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

Verdugo (OP)

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »
I had a discussion with a youtuber who has this device and he said that gba versions of Super Mario World, Tekken, Metal slug and Contra ran smoothly so maybe there is still hope.

hjkyu

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2017, 01:30:08 am »
I had a discussion with a youtuber who has this device and he said that gba versions of Super Mario World, Tekken, Metal slug and Contra ran smoothly so maybe there is still hope.
Lol i saw that I actually have the console too I was comparing it with the original games and it does run a tad bit slower(Drill Dozer). When saving a game that it would tend to freeze but then continue after it's done saving (PokemonFR) and you could see the screen updating(like there's a line going through the screen very slowly up|)

Verdugo (OP)

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2017, 02:00:10 am »
One person on youtube posted a photo that Mother 3 was working which is nice. However that person also said that most games run at 1 frameskip and sometimes 2. That would translate to 30 and 15 frames per second  :o

hjkyu

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2017, 03:07:23 am »
One person on youtube posted a photo that Mother 3 was working which is nice. However that person also said that most games run at 1 frameskip and sometimes 2. That would translate to 30 and 15 frames per second  :o
thats me (soulmark) I would say it only runs like that when they become some more intense part in a game that requires more frames like Sonic advance or biking/running in Pokemon Fire Red
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:24:06 am by hjkyu »

Valder Jay

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 05:19:09 am »

I've got the RETRO MINI on my hand and you want to see what game you're going to be able to put in my mailbox [email protected]
I can make a video to youtube specifically.

bamboori

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 10:00:49 am »
I'd be very interested in Zelda: the minish cap and the Metroid GB Games. Those are the ones I usually play over and over :P

lemmywinks

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »
I would be interested in seeing the following if possible:
VRally 3
Ninja Cop
Iridion II
Also both Zeldas and both Metroids (not the NES games)
Handhelds:
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

Valder Jay

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 02:25:33 pm »
I'd be very interested in Zelda: the minish cap and the Metroid GB Games. Those are the ones I usually play over and over :P

Do you mean GBA or GB?