Author Topic: New PocketGO Golden Sun graphic issues  (Read 2573 times)

Vinliel (OP)

New PocketGO Golden Sun graphic issues
« on: January 19, 2020, 09:39:01 am »
Hi.

Im having the same graphic problems with the included regba as well as with the downloaded regba-1.45.5

Invocations such as Tiamat, Nereid, Venus work, but when I use others (Neptune, Boreas) the screen goes to black (except the life gauges and the information text), and image doesn't come back until the invocation is finished.

I have tried several ROMs without success.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can anyone help? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:15:53 am by Vinliel »

RupeeClock

Re: New PocketGO Golden Sun graphic issues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:35:57 pm »
I downloaded a complete save file to check out the issue, and yeah I can reproduce it.
It looks like cinematic summons have a black-screen issue, it might be a bug with how the screen transition is drawn, the last frame of the transition should be all transparent but are instead all black?

That would be an issue with the emulator though, all you can do is raise the issue and hope someone will be able to fix it, I don't know if ReGBA has any active or lead developers.

Vinliel (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 07:15:18 pm »
Thank you very much for taking the time to reproduce it.

I'll try what you suggested and keep you informed.

Great Crippler

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:47:19 pm »
As far as I can tell the issue with ReGBA here is that the PG2 requires an older build. I can't get any of the newer RG-350 builds to work correctly on this, so my current build of ReGBA is several years old. I'd be curious is someone has a newer working build?

Vinliel (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »
Anyone knows if this happens on rg350 as well?

RupeeClock

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 11:20:35 pm »
I checked the version of ReGBA running on my GCW Zero as well, and this has the same graphical issue as on the PocketGo.
It's ReGBA version 1.45.5, Nebuleon/ReGBA commit 6762f6b.
This version of ReGBA doesn't have a border but it allows you to increase the scale of the display to fill the screen.

The version I have running on the PocketGo is nearly the same, but lacks a commit number and has a forced border display.
It's the one featured on the stock firmware with the SD card provided by retromimi.

That said there's other graphical issues I've noticed like the sun beam effect on the title screen, there are incorrect colors when the sun beam crosses over the sun graphic in the sky.

Retroarch recently got an early release for OpenDingux, and mGBA is one of the libretro cores that is confirmed working, but I do not know if it's fast or slow as I've not yet tried it. I'm guessing it may be slow due to processing overhead from added accuracy, but that may fix the graphical issues.

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 12:06:58 am »
I checked the version of ReGBA running on my GCW Zero as well, and this has the same graphical issue as on the PocketGo.
It's ReGBA version 1.45.5, Nebuleon/ReGBA commit 6762f6b.
This version of ReGBA doesn't have a border but it allows you to increase the scale of the display to fill the screen.

The version I have running on the PocketGo is nearly the same, but lacks a commit number and has a forced border display.
It's the one featured on the stock firmware with the SD card provided by retromimi.

That said there's other graphical issues I've noticed like the sun beam effect on the title screen, there are incorrect colors when the sun beam crosses over the sun graphic in the sky.

Retroarch recently got an early release for OpenDingux, and mGBA is one of the libretro cores that is confirmed working, but I do not know if it's fast or slow as I've not yet tried it. I'm guessing it may be slow due to processing overhead from added accuracy, but that may fix the graphical issues.
Golden sun was not even booting before. In fact it can still crash on my Bittboy build despite the numerous minor fixes i merged to it. (i may have inadvertently fixed this but i doubt it)

Retroarch/libretro cores are going to be way too slow on it. In fact, they don't even run that well on the RG-350 which packs a little more power so i shudder to think how bad it will run on a processor with no floating point unit, no L2 cache and so on.
I have released a port of VBA Next for the Bittboy/PocketGo however it is still running way too slowly to be acceptable.

Someone reported that mGBA was running decently over Retroarch on the RG-350. I assume that they must have enabled autoframeskipping though as i doubt otherwise it would reach fullspeed. (that or the emulator recently made speed improvements, i have no idea. Their SDL frontend is basic and has no menu)
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

Great Crippler

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 12:16:01 am »
I was the one reported it running decently. That said I have only used the SDL MGBA build to play Steel Empire. Might be worthwhile to try Golden Sun on it.

gameblabla

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 03:05:38 am »
I was the one reported it running decently. That said I have only used the SDL MGBA build to play Steel Empire. Might be worthwhile to try Golden Sun on it.
I thought that you had played it on libretro so was a bit surprised that you reported it worked fine. No surprise then that it was the SDL build that you were using. (and i believe it has no menu)
Golden Sun will surely work on it but what cost ? :' P
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

Post a new topic
Post a new topic