Author Topic: My IPK builds for RetroFW (RS-97)  (Read 6186 times)

chevette

Re: My IPK builds for RetroFW (RS-97)
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 05:26:09 pm »
Thanks gameblabla for all your cool work.

The Colecovision is now supported :
Make sure to have the Colecovision bios called "BIOS.col" in .smsplus/bios.
You also need to make sure your colecovision games have the col extension, otherwise it will refuse to run them.
This unfortunately means that it can't run zipped CBS games because it cannot detect them.
Compatibility should be higher or similar to ColEm.

I tried the new sms_sdl.ipk (3-13-19), have the Colecovision bios called "BIOS.col" in .smsplus/bios, all the Colecovision ROMs are .col. When I start any Colecovision ROM, I get a black screen. What am I doing wrong??

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 05:59:18 pm »
I tried the new sms_sdl.ipk (3-13-19), have the Colecovision bios called "BIOS.col" in .smsplus/bios, all the Colecovision ROMs are .col. When I start any Colecovision ROM, I get a black screen. What am I doing wrong??
Well i made a mistake in the IPK, which would mean that normally you wouldn't be even able to select the Colecovision roms.
Thus, you'll get a black screen either way.

There's a new version coming up that drops SDL as a dependency and which draws to low level instead.
Input is now also read from /dev/input/event0.
This should improve input latency & the overall the speed of it.

chevette

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:55 pm »
I changed the filter on the ICON to allow .col, then I was able to select Colecovision ROMS. OK, thanks for you help, looking forward to the next update!

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 09:51:01 pm »
Another (hopefully) final update to SMS Plus GX before i move on.

The save state bug was not completely fixed unfortunately... This is fixed now, it was caused by an error on my side.
https://github.com/gameblabla/sms_sdl/commit/0fdb3e3424709707df97dedb6b4ed26addbfc3d0

The brightness level is set to its highest for Master system games, this makes games less darker and on par with other emulators.

You can now toggle the sound volume, the max setting is 4, which is the volume multiplied by 4.
Default is 2 but you can decrease it back to 1.

Settings are also saved (as binary) so it will remember your last settings for upscaler & volume.
Kind of pointless right now but might be important in the future.

IPK now allows you to select Colecovision games.
Another potential issue that could arise are game gear games not being properly detected and thus run as Master system games, this is somewhat fixed as long as you are not zipping them.

The rest are mostly internal changes, nothing news worthy for users.

Now i can finally tackle Oswan and other emulators...

EDIT: Made a list to myself as to address the problematic  games on SMS Plus GX (which also affects other emulators) :
https://github.com/gameblabla/sms_sdl/blob/master/docs/BROKEN_GAMES_LIST.txt

Don't try to play Batman & Robin GG hehe
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:51:01 pm by gameblabla »

riverinwoods

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:03 pm »
New sms ipk wont unpack, not sure what?s going on...fails to extract data files, do I need to delete more files than old emu and obvious folders before putting updated ipk in? Is there an opk uninstall file sumwer? Sorry if this is supposed to be obvious..

chevette

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:48 pm »
SMS colors are all screwed up now, and Colecovision allows you to select game but displays a black screen. I have RS-97 Ver 2.0

riverinwoods

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:55 am »
Deleted new sms ipk and now have a corrupt sms file folder I can?t delete when USB connected, and can?t see it in gmenunx?...so all I could do was rename corrupt sms folder (on my pc (USB connected)) and reinstall old sms ipk which loaded....but now doesn?t read boxart, won?t save directory paths in edit..... ???

I can load games though...(previous ipk)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:10:47 am by riverinwoods »

chevette

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2019, 12:35:52 am »
Make sure you delete the .smsplus + \emus\sms_sdl folders before you install a prior sms_sdl.ipk file.
That was the only way I could get mine to work again

riverinwoods

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2019, 01:18:36 am »
Make sure you delete the .smsplus + \emus\sms_sdl folders before you install a prior sms_sdl.ipk file.
That was the only way I could get mine to work again
Yea did that...

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2019, 10:06:31 am »
Well it had nothing to do witth the .smsplus folder...
Somehow the IPK file generated got corrupt... so when you install it, you would get a black screen in SMS Plus GX.
I redid it the package and it works properly now.

Strangest OPK bug but if you had the issues, re-download it again. (hopefully the last time)

chevette

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2019, 12:05:33 pm »
Attempted to install the new IPK, but got errors during install

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2019, 12:40:21 pm »
What errors ? If it's an error saying that time cannot be restored then you can ignore it.
Run it again and see if it works

If you got errors saying that it is unable to install it well that sometimes can happen under normal circumstances,
it's not related to SMS_SDL...
Delete your .opk folder and try again.

chevette

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
What errors ? If it's an error saying that time cannot be restored then you can ignore it.
Run it again and see if it works

If you got errors saying that it is unable to install it well that sometimes can happen under normal circumstances,
it's not related to SMS_SDL...
Delete your .opk folder and try again.
Deleting .opk contents worked for me. Thank - you. Only problem now is if I open .sms file, it is fine. Then open .gg, it is fine, but if I go back and open .sms file, colors are all screwed up. Deleting the config.cfg file in the .smsplus folder seems to work, but I have to do each time I switch between Sega Master System + Game Gear. Thanks again

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »
Deleting .opk contents worked for me. Thank - you. Only problem now is if I open .sms file, it is fine. Then open .gg, it is fine, but if I go back and open .sms file, colors are all screwed up. Deleting the config.cfg file in the .smsplus folder seems to work, but I have to do each time I switch between Sega Master System + Game Gear. Thanks again
FML, you're right, i forgot to properly fix it as i made yet another mistake.
Uploaded a newer IPK and checked it, it fixed all the issues and installing the IPK works fine.

chevette

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2019, 07:03:26 pm »
FML, you're right, i forgot to properly fix it as i made yet another mistake.
Uploaded a newer IPK and checked it, it fixed all the issues and installing the IPK works fine.
Installed IPK perfectly, both Sega Master System + Game Gear are working perfectly now. Can switch between the two with no problem. Thank you so much gameblabla!!!

riverinwoods

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:54 am »
now I have 2 corrupt sms folders in my emu folder that are corrupt and I don't know how to delete them......back to the old sms ipk again....

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2019, 03:26:14 am »
now I have 2 corrupt sms folders in my emu folder that are corrupt and I don't know how to delete them......back to the old sms ipk again....
Well the newer SMS should be compatible with the older SMS saves... (before save states started to break)
Sorry for the trouble though but it happens.

Btw, it's not hard to delete the folders, all your save states are in .smsplus/sstates.
(If you can't delete them still, well your FAT32 partition probably got corrupt. try pressing X while power it on, i think it triggers the filesystem fix)

The older versions also don't support SRAM saving in some games so probably recommend you upgrade still unless you have important progress.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:39:32 am by gameblabla »

riverinwoods

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:14 am »
Not the save states, it?s the emu sms folder but is corrupted, definitely can?t delete them and think that?s why I can?t get the new ipk set up. Reflashed fw and everything else.....bummer but only way I can think of cleaning it up.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2019, 06:41:56 am »
Not the save states, it?s the emu sms folder but is corrupted, definitely can?t delete them and think that?s why I can?t get the new ipk set up. Reflashed fw and everything else.....bummer but only way I can think of cleaning it up.
Yup, your partition definitely got corrupt. You can just have Windows fix it with chkdsk or using the GUI.
Then you should be able to delete said folder.

(This is unrelated to SMS SDL btw, it can happen for anything. The reason why is because FAT32 isn't exactly reliable nor stable.
There are ways around that but it involves switching to ext3....)

riverinwoods

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47:10 am »
Yup, your partition definitely got corrupt. You can just have Windows fix it with chkdsk or using the GUI.
Then you should be able to delete said folder.

(This is unrelated to SMS SDL btw, it can happen for anything. The reason why is because FAT32 isn't exactly reliable nor stable.
There are ways around that but it involves switching to ext3....)

Yea reflashed, replaced and all is good again.....ur new sms ipk is good, thx gameblabla