Author Topic: My IPK builds for RetroFW (RS-97)  (Read 8815 times)

Jason01

Re: My IPK builds for RetroFW (RS-97)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 09:41:35 pm »
I've been having limited success with the fba-a320.ipk on the googledrive. I've been using the FBA v0.2.97.39 romset. But have been coming up against a lot of errors. Am I using the wrong set or is it a case of its being worked on still?

I've no doubt its me doing something wrong, just trying to work out where I'm failing.

I know its slightly off topic as its a different originator but thought I would ask anyway.

I had the same romset, but I used clrmamepro and a .dat file for v0.2.96.86 to down-convert my romset to be compatible with FBA v0.2.96.86.  My romset isn't 100% complete, but a majority of the roms work fine now.

Stoofa

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:00 pm »
I've been having limited success with the fba-a320.ipk on the googledrive. I've been using the FBA v0.2.97.39 romset. But have been coming up against a lot of errors. Am I using the wrong set or is it a case of its being worked on still?

I've no doubt its me doing something wrong, just trying to work out where I'm failing.

I know its slightly off topic as its a different originator but thought I would ask anyway.

I had the same romset, but I used clrmamepro and a .dat file for v0.2.96.86 to down-convert my romset to be compatible with FBA v0.2.96.86.  My romset isn't 100% complete, but a majority of the roms work fine now.

Brilliant, thank you for the advice mate. Much appreciated.

ace9094

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 12:34:10 am »
Hey Gameblabla,

Thanks for these IPK files... I see PC Engine (Temper) has been added too...

Great work, I appreciate the effort and time taken  8)
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 03:39:43 am »
I have (re)ported Temper and for the first time, a port of Quake 2 for the RS-97 !
Enjoy

I hope i can make available EasyRPG here someday but it is still crashing on some games. I need to fix that before i push it here.

far

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 04:54:45 am »
I have (re)ported Temper and for the first time, a port of Quake 2 for the RS-97 !
Enjoy

I hope i can make available EasyRPG here someday but it is still crashing on some games. I need to fix that before i push it here.

Quake II !!!  This is so awesome.  I have a quick question though... is it normal when installing ipk for the Package installer to spam warnings about  extracting archive entries: "Can't set user=1000/group=1000 for..."

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 05:25:06 am »
Quake II !!!  This is so awesome.  I have a quick question though... is it normal when installing ipk for the Package installer to spam warnings about  extracting archive entries: "Can't set user=1000/group=1000 for..."
Yes, because FAT32 does not allow permissions, hence the warnings.
I think OPK should be patched (or maybe there's a command line arg?) so it does not complain about it.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 11:30:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDklqkCE8U
I also ported it to the bittboy just for comparison but it doesn't run too badly here either.
(I accidently disabled sound on the bittboy though oops, but the game does have sound and there are no issues)

Jason01

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 02:40:22 am »
Maybe this is a crazy question, but does the RS-97 with RetroFW support external peripherals such as keyboard, mouse, or game controller through the mini USB port?

HercTNT

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:01:17 am »
it is possible to create a uart port. it has been done and it can be used for data communication obviously. it would be neat if it could be used for hardware addons or local multiplayer via data cable. no one has made headway on that in a long time.

Gameblabla thank you for the continued hard work. rs97 just gets better and better
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:03:47 am by HercTNT »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 12:14:49 pm »
Alright, my first release of Handy had a few issues with sound & sync.
Those are finally fixed and everything should run smoothly.

it is possible to create a uart port. it has been done and it can be used for data communication obviously. it would be neat if it could be used for hardware addons or local multiplayer via data cable. no one has made headway on that in a long time.

Gameblabla thank you for the continued hard work. rs97 just gets better and better
Yes, i am aware for the UART port but that only works one way as far as i know, not two-away and it is mostly used for getting debug logs.
And well, a mini USB to USB adapter could in theory allow for a small wifi adapter to be plugged in but from what i gather, the current kernel does not support that yet.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:18:53 pm by gameblabla »

Jason01

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 03:39:13 pm »
Enjoy

gameblabla, I also greatly appreciate your work as well as the other developers who make all of this possible..  all of you devs are doing this in your spare time and you could be using that time for other more important things!

The Quake 2 port is awesome!  Last night I bought the full version of Quake and Quake 2 from Steam ($4.99 each) so I could gain access to the .pak files.  Copying over the .pak files to my RS-97 for Quake gave me the full version, but that process didn't work for Quake 2.  When I copied over the .pak files for Quake 2, the menu and console at the bottom of the screen showed up, but nothing would run.  Do I need to copy over more than just the .pak files to get the full version Quake 2 to work?

far

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 04:43:50 pm »
I have (re)ported Temper and for the first time, a port of Quake 2 for the RS-97 ! thank you
Enjoy

gameblabla, I also greatly appreciate your work as well as the other developers who make all of this possible..  all of you devs are doing this in your spare time and you could be using that time for other more important things!

The Quake 2 port is awesome!  Last night I bought the full version of Quake and Quake 2 from Steam ($4.99 each) so I could gain access to the .pak files.  Copying over the .pak files to my RS-97 for Quake gave me the full version, but that process didn't work for Quake 2.  When I copied over the .pak files for Quake 2, the menu and console at the bottom of the screen showed up, but nothing would run.  Do I need to copy over more than just the .pak files to get the full version Quake 2 to work?

You need to copy the whole baseq2 folder.

lazanti

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 04:53:42 pm »
Tested the latest version of pcsx, works very well. Almost all games have become stable 60 fps, even in some 3D games like crash Bandicoot and resident evil. Thanks to the developer for this emulator, we are waiting for other transfers of games and applications :)
What about Metal Gear Solid? :)

far

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »
Tested the latest version of pcsx, works very well. Almost all games have become stable 60 fps, even in some 3D games like crash Bandicoot and resident evil. Thanks to the developer for this emulator, we are waiting for other transfers of games and applications :)

MGS is just barely playable, using the PAL version.  Interior scenes are typically 50/50 fps, but even with frame skipping the game feels sluggish.  It's fast enough to play IMHO, but hopefully there will be further optimizations.  CPU is at 666MHz

EDIT:. I just tried 690MHz and the game feels full speed.  Only issue is the comm screen: weird buffer glitch on the right hand side.
MGS is very playable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:05:54 pm by far »

Hellboy82BR

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 07:26:42 pm »
There's is no way to improve the option "interlace"? When i activate it the frame rate increases, but this option create a kind of a mix with the second layer or Background, When the game have a black background works well (low res but full speed) but when the game have a undefined BG it makes a strange interlaced mash. Would be a good improvement.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 08:14:08 pm »
There's is no way to improve the option "interlace"? When i activate it the frame rate increases, but this option create a kind of a mix with the second layer or Background, When the game have a black background works well (low res but full speed) but when the game have a undefined BG it makes a strange interlaced mash. Would be a good improvement.
He's working on improving the interlacing option. Right now, it is as you may have noticed, very poor.
Senquack is working towards finishing part5 of his mips recompiler making use of the MXU and he told me i can expect speed improvements around 10~20 %. So yeah, just wait guys for now.

Jason01

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 11:13:53 pm »
I have (re)ported Temper and for the first time, a port of Quake 2 for the RS-97 ! thank you
Enjoy

You need to copy the whole baseq2 folder.

Schweet.. that solved my problem.  Thanks!

Jason01

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 11:18:00 pm »
gameblabla, any advice for me with regards to getting ScummVM to save its settings?  When I change one of the settings (such as the game file save path), it doesn't remember the settings the next time I launch ScummVM.  Also, I think ScummVM throws an exception or something when I exit it, because as soon as I exit ScummVM, I can't immediately relaunch it again until I reset my device.

Senor Quack

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 12:09:21 am »
He's working on improving the interlacing option. Right now, it is as you may have noticed, very poor.
Senquack is working towards finishing part5 of his mips recompiler making use of the MXU and he told me i can expect speed improvements around 10~20 %. So yeah, just wait guys for now.

The 10-20% estimate includes as a whole the dynarec part1..5 branches + MXU GTE. So, you've already realized some of the improvements from having incorporated pre-part5 branches, and the GTE improvements would only benefit 3D games.  My estimate also assumes your kernel uses the standard 4KB page size which the dynarec can take advantage of, not something unusual like 16KB or 64KB.  I want to give you realistic expectations, and have no RS-97 hardware to test/dev with (noone donated one to me).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:21:26 am by Senor Quack »

Senor Quack

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 12:14:08 am »

MGS is just barely playable, using the PAL version.  Interior scenes are typically 50/50 fps, but even with frame skipping the game feels sluggish.  It's fast enough to play IMHO, but hopefully there will be further optimizations.  CPU is at 666MHz

EDIT:. I just tried 690MHz and the game feels full speed.  Only issue is the comm screen: weird buffer glitch on the right hand side.
MGS is very playable.

MGS is a fairly demanding game, frameskip I'm sure is needed with this one on a 600mhz device, as even 1GHz GCW struggled for a long time, and some scenes can still dip below full speed.

Be sure you have 'Cycle Multiplier' set to 2.0 in settings. MGS and some other games depend on this, or game speed will seem sluggish regardless of frameskip or other settings.  Out of curiosity, please tell me, what are gameblabla's releases setting it to?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:16:06 am by Senor Quack »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic