Author Topic: Meet the Retro Mini Arcade (RS-07)  (Read 19728 times)

darkwesley

Re: Meet the Retro Mini Arcade (RS-07)
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49OgTDkICX8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49OgTDkICX8</a>
it's sold without roms Neo Geo ... ;D
This youtuber is doing a quick tutorial. ;)

VanZan

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 06:26:04 pm »
Do yourself a favour and don't bother with the native emulators. These work much better:

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/raw/master/release/emulator.zip

and Dingux Commander:

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/raw/master/release/apps.zip

Also I notice the removable battery is a 18650 2000mAh one

So I went and ordered these:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1141104
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:35:10 pm by VanZan »

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 12:45:24 pm »
My RS-07 has just arrived today, so will hopefully get to have a proper look at it over the weekend  8)

mccv21

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 05:13:09 pm »
hi all, i just got the machine and i try to run mame4all rs97 on it.
it seems it has a resolution issue.
can any Pro help to solve this issue?
i am new in all this and don't have any experience.
if i did anything stupid, pls forgive me.  :P

jbanes

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 06:00:42 pm »

Let me guess: The screen is stretched vertically (possibly off the edge of the screen) yet doesn't quite take up the full screen horizontally?

Or possibly some other variation on this. Maybe it's rotated sideways and stretched?

Whatever the problem is, it was expected. The RS-97 has a really strange screen with a 320x480 resolution. (Yes, you read that right.)

The RS-07 has a screen that's 480x272. Which is far more reasonable.

I'm not sure what jutley and co are exactly up to, but I expect that fixing the screen layout is the biggest modification they're working on. We need to wait until they have firmware available for us before OpenDingux will function.

gameblabla

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »
That's not surprising : SDL won't center the game/app if it requests a smaller screen size, resulting in glitches.
So don't expect games to run as is without some modifications.

Whatever the problem is, it was expected. The RS-97 has a really strange screen with a 320x480 resolution. (Yes, you read that right.)
The RS-07 has a screen that's 480x272. Which is far more reasonable.
Indeed, it's a better machine regarding the screen resolution, and there's less pixels to push to the screen.
320*480 : 153600
480*272 : 130560
And that's not even counting the fact that we can just center the image and not take the full resolution. (whereas you would need to double the pixels on the RS-97 anyway...)

I'm not sure what jutley and co are exactly up to, but I expect that fixing the screen layout is the biggest modification they're working on. We need to wait until they have firmware available for us before OpenDingux will function.
Jutley isn't working on it, he's done with the RS-97 lol. I am the one working on the next firmware for the RS-07.
I already have my launcher and Oswan ready for that machine, as well as the linux kernel and i'm just waiting for mine in like 2 days or so. (hopefully)
I suspect that probably the biggest issue (other than the screen resolution) are the extra controllers.
I have no idea how it's mapped so i may need an input test to detect the scancodes or something. (Perhaps we will have to use the Joystick api ? We'll have to either way for FBA)

jbanes

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 01:24:21 am »
Jutley isn't working on it, he's done with the RS-97 lol. I am the one working on the next firmware for the RS-07.
I already have my launcher and Oswan ready for that machine, as well as the linux kernel and i'm just waiting for mine in like 2 days or so. (hopefully)

Huh. I didn't realize. Jutley's name became synonymous with the RS-97 early on. Sad to lose him.

I suspect that probably the biggest issue (other than the screen resolution) are the extra controllers.
I have no idea how it's mapped so i may need an input test to detect the scancodes or something. (Perhaps we will have to use the Joystick api ? We'll have to either way for FBA)

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I really appreciate you picking up the torch and putting such hard work into these great devices! Thank you so much! :)

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »
I am still here lol sauce has the newer firmware called useless firmware its more stable now so he has the job of maintaining it now and he and pingflood have done a great job.

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 10:23:31 pm »
Redone most the website so let me know if its easy to understand how to download useless firmware and stock firmware for your motherboard types
https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90

darkwesley

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 01:19:55 pm »
Right now it only costs $ 76.99 at Tomtop:
https://www.tomtop.com/p-f1872trb.html?_ga=2.60301165.1196055606.1537512300-843861359.1536660957

Personally I took it there, I never had a problem ordering at home even if it is longer than other sites in general.

gameblabla

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
This is what i've done so far on the Retro Mini arcade :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYSlnnYlyc

I'm working on the CFW. One issue with porting apps is, of course, the higher screen resolution.
While i could not care about speed and just use SDL_SoftStretch, that's less than ideal and not to mention slower...
I'm trying to come up with a better upscaler but it's scaled up a bit too wide :
Code: [Select]
static void upscale_to_480x272(uint32_t *dst, uint32_t *src, uint32_t w, uint32_t h)
{
    int dh = 0, y, x, source = 0, Eh = 0, midh = 272 / 2;
    for (y = 0; y < 272; y++)
    {
        source = dh * w / 2;
        for (x = 0; x < 480/30; x++)
        {
            register uint32_t ab, cd, ef, gh, ij, kl, mn, op;
            __builtin_prefetch(dst + 4, 1);
            __builtin_prefetch(src + source + 4, 0);
            ab = src[source] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            cd = src[source + 1] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            ef = src[source + 2] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            gh = src[source + 3] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            ij = src[source + 4] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            kl = src[source + 5] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            mn = src[source + 6] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            op = src[source + 7] & 0xF7DEF7DE;
            *dst++ = (ab & 0xFFFF) + (ab << 16);            // [aa]
            *dst++ = (ab >> 16) + (ab & 0xFFFF0000);        // [bb]
            *dst++ = (cd & 0xFFFF) + (cd << 16);            // [cc]
            *dst++ = (cd >> 16) + (((cd & 0xF7DE0000) >> 1) + ((ef & 0xF7DE) << 15)); // [d(de)]
            *dst++ = ef;                                    // [ef]
            *dst++ = (ef >> 16) + (gh << 16);               // [fg]
            *dst++ = gh;                                    // [gh]
            *dst++ = (gh >> 16) + (ij << 16);               // [hi]
            *dst++ = ij;                                    // [ij]
            *dst++ = (ij >> 16) + (kl << 16);               // [jk]
            *dst++ = kl;                                    // [kl]
            *dst++ = (((kl & 0xF7DE0000) >> 17) + ((mn & 0xF7DE) >> 1)) + (mn << 16); // [(lm)m]
            *dst++ = (mn >> 16) + (mn & 0xFFFF0000);        // [nn]
            *dst++ = (op & 0xFFFF) + (op << 16);            // [oo]
            *dst++ = (op >> 16) + (op & 0xFFFF0000);        // [pp]
            source += 8;
        }
        Eh += h; if(Eh >= 272) { Eh -= 272; dh++; }
    }
}
So yeah, i would appreciate insight on that. Quake & Cave story are taking advantage of the higher resolution, which is nice obviously.
FBA uses the native resolution for CPS-1 games and runs at about 55 FPS at 600 Mhz.
It runs at 60 FPS when clocked at 642 Mhz, which wasn't possible on the RS-97. (thanks to better optimizations and no need to downscale)

Another issue is supporting 3rd controllers. I think we can use the joystick API for detecting them but it's possible that i would need to compile in eudev support... We'll see.
Pingflood is also receiving his device and he will be able to properly debug this,  better than i can anyway...

I also thought about porting some stuff from the RZX-50 (a similar device with a worse SoC) but there aren't much software for it anyway so... yeah.
I'll keep porting more stuff. Also, reGBA doesn't work, like on 1.0S hardware.
Gpsp works but the menu crashes... Yeah, i feel like it will not be easy...

jbanes

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 07:37:09 pm »
I am still here lol

Nope, sorry. We've already declared you dead and gone. No going back from that.  ;) ;D

Joking aside, I really appreciate all the work you did put into developing and supporting the firmware. The website updates are looking good!

This is what i've done so far on the Retro Mini arcade :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYSlnnYlyc

Fan. Friggin. Tastic!

Very nice work. Can't wait to get one of these and put the custom firmware on it!

I'm working on the CFW. One issue with porting apps is, of course, the higher screen resolution.
While i could not care about speed and just use SDL_SoftStretch, that's less than ideal and not to mention slower...
I'm trying to come up with a better upscaler but it's scaled up a bit too wide

Just to make sure I understand the algorithm, this looks like a linear scaling algorithm with an unrolled loop that's expected to trigger SIMD instructions in the compiler for maximum performance. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding.

My initial thought is do you need to do linear scaling or is pixel doubling every X number of pixels more effective? I used pixel doubling in the DOSBox port and the results look quite good. It preserves the sharp pixels of the original image without any complex math that could slow things down. Surprisingly, there are no scarring artifacts obvious either.

Just a thought anyway.

ace9094

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 10:13:24 pm »
Well what can I say... Stunning work... Very well done... I can appreciate the work that must be involved so bravo for taking your time and not rushing.

Regards
ace
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Jack83

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »
Its really great that @gameblabla is working on this device. With the same screen as the PAP KIII Plus, all work can be used on that as well.
Porting software/emulators to the 480x272 screen was the main problem I could not solve.

ruffnutts

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 07:55:26 pm »
Very cool stuff indeed great work, @Jack83 your Pymenu would look sweet on that Arcade mini :)

darkwesley

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 09:38:35 am »
Right now it only costs $ 76.99 at Tomtop:
https://www.tomtop.com/p-f1872trb.html?_ga=2.60301165.1196055606.1537512300-843861359.1536660957

Personally I took it there, I never had a problem ordering at home even if it is longer than other sites in general.
I just got it today, like it was fast. There are just two crazy things, my box looks like a factory box compared to Youtube review and I miss the baterry.  :o ;D

New surprise the machine is empty ...  I think what is not finishing my machine
:o

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:49:23 am by darkwesley »

gameblabla

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 02:30:22 am »
Btw, as i may have said before, i've managed to make external controllers like the Wired switch or the stock ones work on the unit.
The only issue is that buttons are mapped differently accross all gamepads... Thus, Start on a switch controller will be mapped differently from the stock ones...
What should i do ? Just stick with the crappy ones ?

Btw, i also wanted to say that i've managed to make PocketSNES work on the Arcade Mini : it's running pretty well. And using the native resolution mode, it's running even better than the RS-97. (though the difference is fairly small, most of the bottleneck is the interpreter and PPU)
The only issue i encounter is to make external controllers work properly in 2 players mode. Currently, each controllers controls both players... Not the intended behaviour obviously.
I'll publish the source code tomorrow.

lazanti

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »

odjinan

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:30 am »
gameblabla, you will ruin me!  order this machine this morning, i'm sure you'll provide a good cfw for it!

and with all the version of rs97 , I think its best to get one early...

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »
ETA Prime has made a review

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzviKTw25c" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzviKTw25c</a>

Post a new topic