• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Mame4All for RS97 RetroFW and RS07  (Read 24082 times)

bopbopbop (OP)

Re: Mame4All for RS97 RetroFW and RS07
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:21 am »
@naxeras Hi Naxeras - You had me worried there! Scaling is working, I just re-tested it! For games bigger then the screen, it's only on the "scale aspect" setting. 1941 should give you a clear demonstration. The reason for this is it's currently very cpu intensive. Theoretically, the IPU could handle all this in the future, but it needs to be supported in the kernel first.

Also, I won't be supporting snaps, but if someone else wants to they can patch or fork on github, I'll have a look at the code.

@HercTNT The RS97 version writes to the IPU, which resizes the image from 320x240 to 320x480, but the image needs to be resized to 320x240 first before this happens, which uses processing time. So there's that, which may or may not ever be supported. There's also triple buffering and profiling, as gameblabla mentioned, as slight potential speed boosts. So the RS07 version will get quite a bit better with IPU, the RS97 version may or may not get slightly better with triple buffering and direct resolutions to IPU.

@gameblabla thanks for offering to profile!  ;)

RetroFreakPc

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 12:25:04 pm »
 It works amazing thank you very much @bopbopbop big hands down!

HercTNT

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 04:07:02 pm »
@naxeras Hi Naxeras - You had me worried there! Scaling is working, I just re-tested it! For games bigger then the screen, it's only on the "scale aspect" setting. 1941 should give you a clear demonstration. The reason for this is it's currently very cpu intensive. Theoretically, the IPU could handle all this in the future, but it needs to be supported in the kernel first.

Also, I won't be supporting snaps, but if someone else wants to they can patch or fork on github, I'll have a look at the code.

@HercTNT The RS97 version writes to the IPU, which resizes the image from 320x240 to 320x480, but the image needs to be resized to 320x240 first before this happens, which uses processing time. So there's that, which may or may not ever be supported. There's also triple buffering and profiling, as gameblabla mentioned, as slight potential speed boosts. So the RS07 version will get quite a bit better with IPU, the RS97 version may or may not get slightly better with triple buffering and direct resolutions to IPU.

@gameblabla thanks for offering to profile!  ;)

As much as i like playing these systems, i enjoy the technical aspects as well. Thank you and Gameblabla for taking the time to explain these things to me. I will likely never have the skill, but understanding how it works and why is important to me. I swear its a form of magic and you all are wizards.

DiacloneFX

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »
It took me a while to figure this out too.  Left and Right on the keypad are the same thing as page up and page down.  Up and Down on the keypad makes the game list scroll by one game at a time.

Diaclone - as Jason pointed out you can skip a single page of roms with left and right. I've also now implemented skipping four pages of roms with L or R.

I had totally missed that! Thank you guys :) And thanks  bopbopbop for implementing 4 pages skipping, this makes rom selection even quicker.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 01:34:31 pm »
@naxeras I see what you mean re: RS07 resizing - it's not upscaling anything currently, only downscaling. I've likely disabled a command line switch internally, it should be simple fix. I will post something soon, probably won't be today.

naxeras

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 08:35:38 pm »
@naxeras I see what you mean re: RS07 resizing - it's not upscaling anything currently, only downscaling. I've likely disabled a command line switch internally, it should be simple fix. I will post something soon, probably won't be today.

Hi @bopbopbop, yes the issue is with upscaling.

Thank you, I?m waiting for your fix.

Regards

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:27:59 pm »
@naxeras I've uploaded a new version for the RS07 which fixes the scaling options. The rom directory issue is still there, I'll be looking in to that later.

It's 0.4.1, same download page:

https://github.com/bopbopbopbop/mame4all-rs97/releases/tag/v0.4

Let me know if you have any other issues- especially crashing games, etc.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:35 am »
I've now fixed the roms directory issue on the RS07 - the release has been uploaded to the same page, it's 0.4.2.

Please let me know if there are any issues.

naxeras

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 01:53:05 pm »
I've now fixed the roms directory issue on the RS07 - the release has been uploaded to the same page, it's 0.4.2.

Please let me know if there are any issues.

Thank you for the update.

Scaling its wotking now but for some reason only works in vertical resolution with incorrect aspect ratio.
Fullscreen scaling is not working.

Anyway thank you, its better than previous now.

Regards.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 02:40:37 pm »
Hi @naxeras ! Ace! Good to hear we're getting there!

so the first three video scaling options when you start a game are:

Unscaled - should be normal res, even if it doesnt fit
Scale aspect - downscale - will downscale anything larger then the screen and keep aspect, otherwise leaves alone
Scale aspect - upscale - will upscale anything smaller then the screen, keeping the aspect

Are all three of these working for you?
If not, which ones, and how? Can you give me some examples of games?

DiacloneFX

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »
If not, which ones, and how? Can you give me some examples of games?

Thank you for addressing those issues.

About scaling, I can see the same issues that naxeras reported.
"Unscaled" and "Scale aspect - downscale" work perfectly fine.

"Scale aspect - upscale" only works properly with some games, for example Shinobi.
With others, like Bubble Bobble, Rygar and Double Dragon, the screen gets scaled only vertically, the horizontal resolution remains unchanged. Therefore the games shows wrong proportions, the characters are too tall and thin.

Another potential scaling issue is with NeoGeo games, specifically Viewpoint. The screen is upscaled with the right proportions, but it shows some resizing artifacts on straight lines. I'd imagine this to be due to the scaling algorithm that has to be fast, but I thought it was worth to be mentioned.

Another issue: Kung Fu Master has sound effects, but no music.

Thank you for your work on this port.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 04:57:24 pm »
No worries, I'll have a look at how the games are reporting their aspects and see what I can do.

naxeras

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 06:35:01 pm »
No worries, I'll have a look at how the games are reporting their aspects and see what I can do.

Thank you @bopbopbop

Regards.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 09:50:24 pm »
I've updated the RS07 build with better scaling - upscaling and downscaling now both work. Also, I think I've now completely fixed the directory issue, please let me know if there are any issues.

The build is 0.4.4, and it is available from the link in the first post.

There are still some issues with upscaling - occasionally you will get weird pixels to the right of the image. I may or may not have a fix for this soon!

DiacloneFX

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 12:58:46 am »
There are still some issues with upscaling - occasionally you will get weird pixels to the right of the image. I may or may not have a fix for this soon!

Thank you for this new release.
Bubble Bobble now works great. Rygar works very well too, it just shows the weird pixels that you mentioned.
The only actual issue I saw is with Double Dragon and Double Dragon 2. The former is missing some columns of pixels on the left border, like the display window is not large enough and the left portion of the image is cropped.
Double Dragon 2 has a similar issue, the difference is that some of pixels of the left border gets drawn on the right just after a large column of black pixels.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:05 am »
Ace, I'll add them to the list of games with weird graphical defects I'm looking in to.

Antras75

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 08:34:08 am »
Hi every one!  :) i have RS07 and i try Mame4all v.0.4.4 on cfw 1.3.2, but still crash many time when i launch a game. Also the setting of rom path have some issues.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 12:33:24 pm »
I im'd @Antras75 to find out what specifically was wrong, but haven't heard back. If anyone else is having issues, let me know.

cloudstr

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 01:37:15 pm »
Hello,

Any chance to provides support for 480x320 resolutions? Thank you.

bopbopbop (OP)

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:50 pm »
Hello @cloudstr , is that with the useless kernel? If so then yes, but I won't be able to test it.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic