• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: LCD damage to PAP K3S  (Read 933 times)

gameblabla (OP)

LCD damage to PAP K3S
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:12 am »
So basically i left my PAP K3S for a while in my drawer and thought that i should port RetroFW to it.
I power it on and i noticed that the screen looked... damaged xox
I thought that it was damage to the ribbon cable at first so i disassembled my PAP K3S again and tried to
apply pressure on the ribbon cable.

Unfortunately it made no difference..

(This looked like that before i disassembled it btw)
Does this look like ribbon damage to you ? If not, then where do you think that PAP K3 Plus screens could be found ?

Guess i should still port RetroFW to this handled before throwing it away... TV out still works but yeah xox

EDIT: I realize that this might be a pointless post but if you still have a PAP K3 plus, i would suggest you put it in some plastic bag or just store it in its original box as it doesn't seem to like the sun or moisture.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:54:18 am by gameblabla »

LauweLoempia

Re: LCD damage to PAP K3S
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:13 pm »
This is a very peculiar type of screen damage... Are you sure it is not some type of grounding problem or capacitive problem due to the disassembled device? Maybe try some kapton tape on the backside of the screen/exposed leads below the screen..

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Pingouin

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 01:40:01 pm »
I think gameblabla is right: it looks like the damage you used to get on old LCD screens (e.g. very old LCD calculators) when moisture sips between the panel layers.

LauweLoempia

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 01:07:42 pm »
Ok. I have never experienced this kind of screen failure.. but if it's related to moisture, would it be possible to put the screen/device in a container with rice and extract the moisture from the device?

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53:09 pm »
This is a very peculiar type of screen damage... Are you sure it is not some type of grounding problem or capacitive problem due to the disassembled device? Maybe try some kapton tape on the backside of the screen/exposed leads below the screen..
Maybe some electrical tape could have helped but the thing is, the screen is actually soldered on the PAP K3S...

I think gameblabla is right: it looks like the damage you used to get on old LCD screens (e.g. very old LCD calculators) when moisture sips between the panel layers.
I think that moisture or UV rays are the only blame for this, quite telling that PAP K3 screens can basically rot lol...

It still works over TV out of course but other than that, it's kind of a brick... Any ideas what i should use it for ?

Pingouin

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:24:05 pm »
Any ideas what i should use it for ?

Too light for a door stopper.
Too thick to wedge a furniture.
Too thin to jack a car.
Too light and soft for a blunt weapon.
Too big to flush.

The button have all funny shapes, so you probably can't reuse them either.

Maybe leave it in full view as a honey pot for burglars while you store your good devices somewhere else?
Or frame it and use it as gaming deco in your man cave?

Post a new topic