Author Topic: I compare my RG350 with a Pocketgo 2 Clone ( powerkiddy q80) Enjoy !  (Read 3963 times)

renejr902 (OP)

Hi! I just received my powkiddy q80 (pocketgo2 perfect clone) . it works perfect with rogue firmware 1.04. no stuck buttons. dpad works very good, not perfect, good feeling. buttons feeling good, but not as good as rg350 buttons, but really good enough.
rg350 dpad is a little better, still not perfect too. street fighter alpha2 moves are difficult to do with each console, but moves works more often with rg350 than powkiddy q80 (pocketgo 2 clone). with powkiddy , left side, hadouken with ken are very hard to do, right side hadouken works perfect. Rg350, both sides the same, hadoken a little hard to do each time, but possible to get them work everytime with some practice, powkiddy left side hadouken cant work each time with practice for me. In Pac-Man , control not work perfect with both console, not always register the good direction everytime, both console has this problem, but it happen more often with powkiddy. So Pacman is more playable with rg350, but not perfect. In platform games like Mario and Sonic games, both console dpad works near perfect, no stress here, im happy.  powkiddy a little more bright but worst colors accuracy, Blue is not enough saturate, but most others colors seems have very good saturation and black are better. powkiddy has slightly more motion blur than rg350. in general i think i prefer rg350, for dpad and color accuracy and better overall saturation, even if a little less bright than powkiddy, and in general i prefer brighter screen, but colors of the rg350 are really better than powkiddy, they are more accurate, WHITE is WHITE, and blue is more saturate, colors of powkiddy look less accurate, blue is a little washed out, but others colors are very saturate, its still a brighter lcd screen, but the WHITE has a Big yellow tint, that i dont like much. rg350 is more like Cold colors and powkiddy is warm colors with too much yellow tint to my taste, specially with white that is looking yellow.  the rg350 lower dpad position dont bother me much. but i prefer powkiddy dpad upper position. But to be honest they cant be compare to my ps vita oled with enso henkaku 3.60 that works at 500mhz. My ps vita has everything better and screen too. But i want something to be more pocket for some situation. The rg350 or powkiddy do the job well. and both works great with retroarch too.
im satisfied with the powkiddy q80 build quality and dpad and buttons. this revision seems better than first pocketgo 2 version. i dont saw any problem i read from pocketgo 2, the problems have been corrected. The volume problem seems not happen with the original powkiddy firmware. Now with rogue 1.04 , volume at minimum is still a little high, but nothing like i imagined from people that complaint, maybe this problem had been corrected too. at minimum volume i find it still a little bit too low even in bed in evening

The Rg350 and Powkiddy Q80 are both much better than my gcw-zero. ( i hate my gcw-zero dpad so much, its really bad and  much worst than these two consoles lol!) They are both better than my gp2x, gp32, caanoo, wiz, rs97, dingoo a320.. , i had a lot of console. Finally we have better retro handheld than some years ago. But i still prefer a little more the rg350 over the powkiddy q80. ( i have a gpd xd plus and gpdwin, but to me they are not direct competitor, the form factor of gpdxd and gpdwin is too much bigger) ( i think my favorite N1 number 1, retro handheld is still my ps vita oled with enso henkaku and number 2 is my gpdwin1, but this thing is really big and weight a lot and the dpad is very bad like gcw-zero.. , in general i prefer to put a handheld like rg350 in my bag ;) or at worst my ps vita.

hope this topic help some people !
(you can buy powkiddy q80 on aliexpress, i paid 74$ Canadian money) ( i bought my rg350 from geekbuying, but you can find it everywhere)

edit2: i edited some parts of my review about the colors and saturation, read again ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:35:58 am by renejr902 »

renejr902 (OP)

Re: I compare my RG350 with a Pocketgo 2 Clone ( powerkiddy q80) Enjoy !
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:23 am »
"error double post, i just erased it, im sorry "
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:08:21 am by renejr902 »

Zereth

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:10:58 am »
Thank you very much for all the info, Rene! I really appreciate the effort you've put into this!  :)

Yellow for white... that hurts. Also, the hadouken example was great; if it was me, I'd open it and fiddle with the d-pad contacts. I'd even try different d-pads, starting with a GBP one if it fits well. Well, that's me  ;)

Given you love arcade games and have plenty of devices, have you checked the new Retroid Pocket? It runs on Android and the layout aims for arcade... I thought you'd like it. It's not one of the knockoffs with a round d-pad and weird joystick, this one is the real deal. If their sale holds up until payday I might be in trouble  ::)

I'm not going to miss this chance to ask you about screens. I'm always bugging about screens. When comparing the Q80 and the RG350, did you notice their pixel arrangement? Are they aligned or staggered? Like...

For me, alignment is way more important than color temperature and it's being hard finding info on pixel arrangement. When making games I want them to look as intended, not fuzzy (that's ugly), specially with pixel art and voxel (plain color) games. And after a recent incident with Anbernic I'm staying away from their RG300 (such a shame, I do love that device) and I wouldn't touch anything with their brand on it. So your comparison really helped me better understanding about the Q80; I wish they'll make a grey version like they did with the Q70, that color with purple and black buttons looks gorgeous. Then there's the branding we've already talked about... But I'm digressing again!

Thanks again for the info. If you could give me a hand with the pixel arrangement I'd greatly appreciate it!
Kindest regards Rene!!!

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »
Thanks a lot for info about Retroid, its looks great. Im also interested in odroid go advance.  But to be honest my Samsung S10+ with a ipega bluetooth controller 9017s and ipega pg-9076 controller and my moga hero controller, do a great job too, but its not a dedicated console, 2 seperate piece, controller and phone, but its still a great option too.

About your pixel arrangement.. i have great eyes clarity.. i look at them with my own eyes, they both look to have the good pixel arrangement. the pixels on both of them have a lot of clarity, they looks great. but its very hard to explain, but sometime, when searching for it, with my powkiddy Q80, it seems like i see a strange interference wave passing in the lcd screen. im sorry i dont know how to explain it better, but it doesnt bother me really, i mostly see in in main menu, i dont see it in emulators until now. By the way The RS-97 seems to have a strange pixel arrangement or maybe the problem is the strange glossy screen, the pixel dont have a lot of clarity with the rs-97. About powkiddy q80, I notice slightly worst motion blur in mario 2d games when mario is running with my powkiddy q80 vs rg350, but the difference is very tiny.  To me the worst thing is the WHITE looking like yellow, i think the temp is too warm. but dont stress for pixel, its seem the correct arrsngement on both.  i tried several pc and tv monitors that had problem with pixel arrangement, pixel dimming, crosshatching.. very annoying,  so i have some experience. The PS Vita Oled screen and Samsung S10+ Oled screen are the best for emulation, because of Oled. But PS Vita Brightness is not very high, i prefer higher brightness level. Powkiddy Q80 brightness is very high, so i like that :)
Finally to be honest, both the rg350 or powkiddy q80 could do the job, they both satisfied me. but Q80 weight a lot less than rg350, but i dont care much, both are not heavy.. i will bring one of them , probably rg350, in my backpack with my oled ps vita too ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:13:35 pm by renejr902 »

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:10 am »
Finally for now, i prefer the Powkiddy Q80

Reasons:

1. I really prefer the upper dpad position of powkiddy. i played a lot with rg350 too and i got cramp everytime after 20 minutes or big discomfort when using dpad. its feel strange using the dpad at that lower position, i dont like it much.

2. LCD Screen a lot brighter than rg350. ( in gambatte with custom colors palettes , the screen is a lot brighter than rg350)

3. Its really a lot less heavy and i prefer it. i think the rg350 lower dpad position dont help for weight.

Because of these reasons i have more fun using Powkiddy q80 than rg350.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:49:23 am by renejr902 »

setedadivas

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:09 am »
Finally for now, i prefer the Powkiddy Q80

Reasons:

1. I really prefer the upper dpad position of powkiddy. i played a lot with rg350 too and i got cramp everytime after 20 minutes or big discomfort when using dpad. its feel strange using the dpad at that lower position, i dont like it much.

2. LCD Screen a lot brighter than rg350. ( in gambatte with custom colors palettes , the screen is a lot brighter than rg350)

3. Its really a lot less heavy and i prefer it. i think the rg350 lower dpad position dont help for weight.

Because of these reasons i have more fun using Powkiddy q80 than rg350.
Well, I was thinking of buying a GKD350h or an Odroid Go Advanced.
I don't actually need that much processing power, I just want a device that is capable of emulating some SNES, Megadrive, Master System and NES games.
Initially I intended to buy a PocketGo 1, only it is very weak.  I'll watch some more Reviews of the Powerkiddy Q90.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:40:49 am by setedadivas »

Zereth

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 01:41:26 pm »
Initially I intended to buy a PocketGo 1, only it is very weak.  I'll watch some more Reviews of the Powerkiddy Q90.

We were talking about the Q80. The Q70 is like the PocketGo v1. The Q90 is pretty meh, closer to the Q70 than the Q80. The best of them three would be the Q80.

About your pixel arrangement.. i have great eyes clarity.. i look at them with my own eyes, they both look to have the good pixel arrangement. the pixels on both of them have a lot of clarity, they looks great. but its very hard to explain, but sometime, when searching for it, with my powkiddy Q80, it seems like i see a strange interference wave passing in the lcd screen. im sorry i dont know how to explain it better, but it doesnt bother me really, i mostly see in in main menu, i dont see it in emulators until now. (...)
About powkiddy q80, I notice slightly worst motion blur in mario 2d games when mario is running with my powkiddy q80 vs rg350, but the difference is very tiny.

Those sound like screen refresh issues, do they? I'm glad to talk with someone able to appreciate the issues I'm trying to avoid (bad scaling, ugly dithering and all). My eyes aren't bad either and I only noticed the screen arrangement in the RG300 after looking at a drop of water on the screen, it was like a tiny magnifying glass. Just in case, examples:

To the left, aligned pixels, the good stuff. The big images are zoomed 6x to make room for the RGB alignment to show. The small ones are still zoomed 2x because at 1x it would be hard to tell what was wrong in HD screens like the ones we use to read these forums. The last images are an approximation to the "contamination" of darker pixels by those surrounding them, there are times pixels do look round in such staggered screens. I noticed this most clearly in Cave Story (great game btw).

The only RS97 I've seen myself had its screen replaced for one from a digital camera: it had staggered pixels. Searching for devices with the right screen alignment is becoming exhausting, and discouraging too. Thanks again for all the info!

renejr902 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 02:34:09 pm »
dont worry Rg350 and powkiddy q80 have the good pixel alignment

Zereth

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »
Ok, I'm adding them to the list. Thanks!  ;)

davidgilmour

Hi! I just received my powkiddy q80 (pocketgo2 perfect clone) .s

The Rg350 and Powkiddy Q80 are both much better than my gcw-zero. ( i hate my gcw-zero dpad so much, its really bad and  much worst than these two consoles lol!) They are both better than my gp2x, gp32, caanoo, wiz, rs97, dingoo a320.. ,
I own(ed)gcw zero, wiz, canoo, gp2x etc.
The Pocketgo2 is the best chinese handheld. I agree with your post.