Author Topic: Menu written in python for RS97 and LDK  (Read 119323 times)

etxeba

Re: Menu written in python for K3P and RS97
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have made some progress with getting this running on an old 2.0 with 1.41 CFW by Gameblabla....

First I flashed 1.41
Then added PYMenu and run it once...
Next I then connected the RS-97 to my PC and selected USB Drive mode.
Then I copied my games and artwork.
Then added SP6

Picodrive will only see zip files until edit the settings, you do not have to add anything, just open and close the supported
file types section :)

Tried the same but still freezing on an old 2.1 console  :'( :'( :'(

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »
The only thing I can think of is a problem with the filesystem. Python has a lot of files that are loaded on startup. That would explain the better results for a fresh flashed fw.

Can you try a file system check on the fat32 partition? Another option could be to try a different sdcard

JHale

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2018, 01:09:08 am »
Will this work for the Retro Arcade RS-07? If not will it be in the future? Thank you!

ace9094

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »
Will this work for the Retro Arcade RS-07? If not will it be in the future? Thank you!

I asked this a while back my friend... I believe that it is different... Check a few posts back ;)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2018, 02:29:19 pm »

Not right now. I don't have a RS-07 and I'm not planing on buying one.

I tried on the K3P which has the same resolution. It works but it is buggy.

LBL Gamer

• Level By Level Gaming
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
Hi guys, I just went thru and read every post here. doing the same for all threads I can glean info from for the k3p. Jack you always do awesome work and this menu looks fantastic. you were the one of the first people I followed here when I first came. "Will this go to k3p" is a dead horse I wont beat as much as I would like to see it happen. That being said I saw a post a few pages back about resolutions. I was able to get all the A320 emus to full screen on the k3p but not the others. don't know if the trick I used translates or not. Any way keep up the good work.
Just your average 80's kid with a love for all things gaming. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN25Sl8nR2pcbikBa2ZRZvQ

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2018, 10:50:24 am »
I was able to fix the bugs in PyMenu and it "should" now work on the Arcade Mini using the fw from gameblabla.

I used a the patched firmware of his on my K3P and its working there as well. On the K3P, we have this stupid volume buttons which are not yet supported. (I guess the Arcade Mini has a volume wheel like the RS97?)

in the file config/config.json set:
Code: [Select]
RS97 = false
screenWidth = 480
screenHeight = 272

The configuration is still not modified for gameblablas fw, so you will see a lot of entries which may be not working until properly configured.

The background images are made for the RS97 and streched for the K3P and the Arcade Mini, thats why they look so pixelated.

@LBL Gamer problem with the software for the A320 is that its quite old. We want all the new stuff gameblabla ported for the RS97 on the K3P and not use tricks to get old software running. We are not far from a fw with the same functions as the arcade mini!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:02:06 pm by Jack83 »

blackz1982

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2018, 11:20:30 am »
On the K3P, we have this stupid volume buttons which are not yet supported. (I guess the Arcade Mini has a volume wheel like the RS97?)

In the Gmenunx there is a combination SELECT + L for control volume. May be can make by analogy but use one button.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2018, 11:32:13 am »
On the K3P, we have this stupid volume buttons which are not yet supported. (I guess the Arcade Mini has a volume wheel like the RS97?)

In the Gmenunx there is a combination SELECT + L for control volume. May be can make by analogy but use one button.

Problem is, that you want to control the volume all the time, not just in the menu. I made a little service for that, but I need to recompile it for the new fw.

Dhelix

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:44 pm »

Problem is, that you want to control the volume all the time, not just in the menu. I made a little service for that, but I need to recompile it for the new fw.

Jack, wanted to thank you for your work on this. It honestly looks fantastic on the YouTube videos I?ve seen. Not only does it appear clean and elegant but it also really seems to capture the feeling of nostalgia of walking up to these devices as kids to put in a game and see these iconic typeface fonts and distinctive console qualities. I also love how it looks inviting to people to play. My wife saw this menu and instantly got it and thought the RS-97 was a good buy. It really modernizes the look of the device so a huge congratulations for the style elements you nailed with this after deciding you wanted to try and make this.

My RS-97 is on its way to me in the mail with some form of either Useless or Next pre-installed from the company I bought it from.

Edit: This is the version the company seems to ship:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdprcB6Rya8

I?m tempted to jump right toward the applicable, latest version of useless, which I believe now comes with Pymenu pre-loaded as an option mostly for PyMenu. I?m not as technical as some (most?) of the people on this site so a part of me is worried about moving from what might be a stable version of DingUX pre-loaded for me and jumping into all of the steps required to flash the SD cards with something else.

Which brings me to my question. Do you know if Py Menu comes pre-set up on the newest releases of useless to have all of the roms pre-loaded to how PyMenu expects to see them? How about the game box preview for the games themselves like how you have it set up in your PyMenu alpha YouTube video? Or, do those all have to be manually linked one by one later? Also, I noticed you wrote that GmenuNXT is progressing at a rate that you feel you can?t keep up with but I wasn?t sure what kind of limitations that meant on PyMenu in comparison or what kind of impact that would have. Does Py Menu still allow for options like changing the overclocking of games? The frame rate skipping of games to make them more playable? Does Py Menu revert back to itself after quitting a game?

Sorry for all of the noob questions but I?m very interested in Py Menu but am not quite sure how it differs from an advanced skin on Gmenu. Any info you can provide is most appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:46:32 pm by Dhelix »

Dhelix

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2018, 11:34:41 pm »
I think I?ve found some answers for some of my questions now. This seems to run best on V1.3 of Useless from what I can tell with service pack 2 (or 12?) the version that seems to be most known at present as working as intended.

From what I can tell Jack has added some new features since the release in July and then turned his attention more toward getting this on some other devices.

Useless, and GMenu meanwhile, have had several releases since ? including some for different screens and boards ? and it?s not yet confirmed how well PyMenu is working on those.

I might be mistaken but it also looks like Jutley is NOT including PyMenu as part of the download pack for 15. I looked through what I could anyway and didn?t see it in there.

To conclude, if I want this is sounds like I want to stick on firmware 1.3 service pack 2 (or 12?) until Jack or Jutley conform this is working well on 1.5 and/or provide info on that.

Is this summary of the current state of things reasonably accurate?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »
PyMenu was originally made for the cfm from steward that is curated by jutley. Jutley made on release of this firmware with PyMenu as default.

After that, gameblaba created the UselessRS97 fw, which is more advanced and has a lot of fixes for emulators and games, but is incompatible to stewards fw. I adapted PyMenu to run on this fw which is also the basis for other devices as the Arcade Mini and the K3P

As for the different board revisions: I still have not seen a problem that is specific to a revision. I don't think that the black screen error described here has anything to do with that. You should see at least something on all devices.

The only things that are currently missing from PyMenu are:
- TV-Out: not my priority, I don't use it. Could easily be added to the menu
- Configuration: Bug bummer. The configuration currently in the repository is still for the old fw made by jutley. You can change it to your liking on the device without touching any config files, but its work and nobody has done it yet ( @jutley  ;D 8) )

My advice: get the latest useless firmware and give it a try. Use a new sd-card and you can always go back, the device can not be bricked.

To get the game previews follow the guide here: https://github.com/m1024x/retrogame-preview-guide
Overclocking is done in PyMenu, frameskip can be set in the emulators

Dhelix

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:43 pm »
PyMenu was originally made for the cfm from steward that is curated by jutley. Jutley made on release of this firmware with PyMenu as default.

After that, gameblaba created the UselessRS97 fw, which is more advanced and has a lot of fixes for emulators and games, but is incompatible to stewards fw. I adapted PyMenu to run on this fw which is also the basis for other devices as the Arcade Mini and the K3P

As for the different board revisions: I still have not seen a problem that is specific to a revision. I don't think that the black screen error described here has anything to do with that. You should see at least something on all devices.

- Configuration: Bug bummer. The configuration currently in the repository is still for the old fw made by jutley. You can change it to your liking on the device without touching any config files, but its work and nobody has done it yet ( @jutley  ;D 8) )

My advice: get the latest useless firmware and give it a try. Use a new sd-card and you can always go back, the device can not be bricked.

To get the game previews follow the guide here: https://github.com/m1024x/retrogame-preview-guide

Thanks for the reply and for the background info and especially for your great work. This is very helpful. I?ve found some of this history a little confusing and I noticed most recently that @gameblabla announced via an edit on the board that he?s abandoning Useless for RS-97 moving forward as a result of the RS-97 making too many new boards (unless I misunderstood that). So, it?s looking like 1.5 will be the final release for the RS-97 (unless I?ve mistaken things). Glad to know PyMenu will work with that and specifically with the 2.1 board since that?s what I believe is on route to me now.

Based on what people say of Useless I can?t wait to use it. It?s incredible what @gameblabla was able to provide. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:39:22 pm by Dhelix »

Jutleys

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply and for the background info and especially for your great work. This is very helpful. I?ve found some of this history a little confusing and I noticed most recently that @gameblabla announced via an edit on the board that he?s abandoning Useless for RS-97 moving forward as a result of the RS-97 making too many new boards (unless I misunderstood that). So, it?s looking like 1.5 will be the final release for the RS-97 (unless I?ve mistaken things). Glad to know PyMenu will work with that and specifically with the 2.1 board since that?s what I believe is on route to me now.

Based on what people say of Useless I can?t wait to use it. It?s incredible what @gameblabla was able to provide. Thank you in advance!

I will take a look and create a pymenu firmware based on the latest useless firmware release I will download your latest GitHub release.

Dhelix

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »

I will take a look and create a pymenu firmware based on the latest useless firmware release I will download your latest GitHub release.

That?s exciting. If you do it does that mean that anyone who downloads it would be able to have Pymenu working with 1.5 simply by installing the one release? Would all of the images for the games be there as well? I imagine you?re fast at this. Much faster than us noobs. Perhaps I?ll wait for your release so that I don?t accidentally brick mine somehow.

From the sounds of it... you always do a great job of combining and testing and optimizing and delivering one incredible download package that works. How long does it normally take you to do a new release like this with an addition like Pymenu? A week? A few weeks? A couple months? Just curious. Thank you in advance! You provide an amazing service.

JHale

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2018, 05:25:11 am »
I was able to fix the bugs in PyMenu and it "should" now work on the Arcade Mini using the fw from gameblabla.

I used a the patched firmware of his on my K3P and its working there as well. On the K3P, we have this stupid volume buttons which are not yet supported. (I guess the Arcade Mini has a volume wheel like the RS97?)

in the file config/config.json set:
Code: [Select]
RS97 = false
screenWidth = 480
screenHeight = 272

The configuration is still not modified for gameblablas fw, so you will see a lot of entries which may be not working until properly configured.

The background images are made for the RS97 and streched for the K3P and the Arcade Mini, thats why they look so pixelated.

@LBL Gamer problem with the software for the A320 is that its quite old. We want all the new stuff gameblabla ported for the RS97 on the K3P and not use tricks to get old software running. We are not far from a fw with the same functions as the arcade mini!

It works perfectly! Any chance video previews (.mp4) will work in the future?

Also some bugs:
1. On the main menu if I go left the right console name just appears on the right instead of scrolling in. (It does the same when I scroll right)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:05:28 am by JHale »

Frogdog

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2018, 06:47:47 pm »
Anyone had any success running neo geo pocket color in full screen?
Wonderswan color has also been running real choppy.

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:01 am »

Also some bugs:
1. On the main menu if I go left the right console name just appears on the right instead of scrolling in. (It does the same when I scroll right)

Good find ;D Thats the way its implemented right now. On the small screen of th RS97 this was not noticeable, but on the wider screen it is.

I dont't know about the video previews. They would be only 128x128px and probably be larger than most roms :P

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2018, 01:50:28 pm »
I updated PyMenu to support the volume buttons of the K3P. Now we need to port emulators and a proper configuration ;D

JHale

Re: Menu written in python for K3P, RS97 and Arcade Mini
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2018, 10:32:49 pm »
This is great! Uploaded a video to show it!

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20230130103318/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaKNXSWYWMc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaKNXSWYWMc</a>