I was not so satisfied with the usability of gmenu2x and the existing dmenu, so I started a new menu from scratch written in python. I chose python because I don't know C/C++ that well and I'm able to test on the PC without changing much.
If someone is interested in helping me, the source can be found here:https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenuUpdate 10.07.2018
Here is ALPHA2 of PyMenu
New in this release:
- Resume after launching a game/rom
- fixed folder bug
- added new layout options
- swapped left/right on main menu
- added descriptions for native apps
- Suspend can be configured but is not working yet
- USB mounting is probably broken
- Links in the ports section are broken if they need a selection browser. Used for Doom etc. to select a wad file.Update 06.01.2018
I switched to the UselessRS97 firmware. All features should work, including USB mounting.
The menu is currently missing the proper configuration for UselessRS97, change the configuration yourself.Update 19.11.2018
Running on the RS97, PAP KIII Plus (K3P) and Arcade mini. I added a service that allows you to change the volume of the K3P in any emulator or game.Installation:
1. You need the custom firmware for your device.
Only the UselessRS97 internal firmware is supported
Follow the guides listed here:https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/uselessrs97-internal-firmware-for-revision-2-1/
Install either https://drive.google.com/open?id=11AAbW4VpWk4XUtX9XjpKtyGHxVjmJlYL
for the old device or https://drive.google.com/open?id=1thtFJg1ePUTPLdlulepzBM_tVpwg-gsV
for the 16gb version.
They need to be installed on the internal sd-card
2. Clone or copy the files from the repo next to the gmenu2x folder in /apps/. Folder has to be named "PyMenu"
2b. for the Arcade Mini or K3P
in the file config/config.json set:
RS97 = false
screenWidth = 480
screenHeight = 272
3. PyMenu can be run by starting PyMenu/run.sh
4. If you want to make it your default launcher, run PyMenu/installer/install.dge. Run uninstall.dge to switch back to gmenunx. Try to start it using run.sh first
Tested on UselessRS97 1.3 internal & external and K3P old versionUpdate 26.12.18
I added the ability to display animated previews for your roms and apps.
Animation files have a special format and have the ending "anim.png". Put them in the same folder as your previews. If they are found, they will be played after 1s of your normal preview.
The format is quite easy. Its just 128x128 pixel frames stitched together in one large file. I added a small script (tools/converter.sh) that generates those files out of videos using ffmpeg and image magick. Script is currently for linux/mac only, but could run under windows as well.
ffmpeg -i "$var" -f image2 -vf fps=25 -vf scale=128:-1 -vframes 150 converterTemp/img%03d.png
mogrify -gravity center -background none -extent 128x128 converterTemp/*.png
montage converterTemp/*.png -geometry 128x -geometry '1x1+0+0<' -background none png8:output/"$filename".anim.png
Don't use much more that 150 frames (6 seconds), it will impact loading time of the preview. Script is using png8 as output format which will decrease image quality in favour of filesize.
If you are looking for images / videos, google for "resurectionxtras". Was an old project to collect emulator extras for the old XBOXUpdate 03.03.2019
I released a new version of PyMenu 1.5.0 for the RS97 only. You can find the ipk release here:https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenu/releases/latest
And a user guide here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mwO_3vKUGSCf7xrVeoyC1p6he8pk8_NXFjnP8iOa7rE/edit?usp=sharingUpdate 06.03.19https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenu/releases/latest
fixed update from older version resets config
added missing "param" config from gmenu, fixes pcsx4all not launching roms
fixed editing of last played theme
fixed sound issue if booting directly to PyMenuUpdate 09.03.19https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenu/releases/latest
- added better settings for arcade systems
- added correct mame4all system string
- fixed sound volume
- added fw check on install, should prevent anyone to install on non-supported RetroFW (1.0)
- fixed deleting of entries in main menuUpdate 31.03.19https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenu/releases/tag/v1.5.3
- fixed previews of native items where not stored
- added limit of folder selection
- added list wrapping
- added hiding of sub folders in selection folder
- added race-od and dingux-cap32 link in config
- added default volume to configuration
- improved loading time of PyMenuUpdate 14.04.19
PyMenu Version 1.5.5https://github.com/JackD83/PyMenu/releases/latest
- improved loading time of folders ~10x
- fixed previews not showing for first element again
- added latest emulators: jzIntv, Pok?mini, ProSystem-OD, Speccy