Author Topic: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!  (Read 32073 times)

Jutleys

Re: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 02:26:28 pm »
It would be pretty cool there was a theme designer app so users can submit there themes here.

pingflood

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2018, 08:44:48 pm »
Here's the first public release of GMenuNext.

The motivation behind this project is to make GMenu2X take a Next step, bringing it from the past, which core was idealized more than 10 yeas ago, to present, with a more modern look and function.

This first release have a lot of "behind the scenes" small adjustments in code, but here are some highlights:

- New main menu layout, with a section bar on the left and items in list, inspired in concept designed by @m1024 in the first post of this thread;
- Retouched every screen to make all system cohesive;
- Alternative selector browser, allowing you to load previews of your games;
- Navigate page up/down with directional left/right;
- New variable for skin designers;
- New set of "Next" skins by @m1024.

How to install:

You can use the executable as standalone replacement or all the package as an update of current GMenu2X.
But is *STRONGLY* recommended that you have a backup of your files and current GMenu2X setup. Also, have enough knowledge to recover the backup if something goes wrong or if you simply prefer the older GMenu2X.  ;)

In short, you have to:
- Make a copy of your current GMenu2X folder (e.g., copy to "gmenu2x-old")
- Extract this zip over current GMenu2X folder, making sure to replace all files with the newer ones.

In this version there's no section links nor gmenu2x.conf file, so your current configs will not be overwritten.

Please, have in mind this is still a testing version. Use it at your own risk.
If you find any issue, please report with all details as possible and we will try to solve. ;)

With many thanks to @m1024  and @jutley  for all the patience while testing this version and @Steward_Fu  for all the hard work done in porting old GMenu2X to RS-97.

Hope you enjoy.

Releases:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/releases
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:59:40 am by pingflood »

Sheyk90

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »

The motivation behind this project is to make GMenu2X take a Next step, bringing it from the past, which core was idealized more than 10 yeas ago, to present, with a more modern look and function.

This first release have a lot of "behind the scenes" small adjustments in code, but here are some highlights:

- New main menu layout, with a section bar on the left and items in list, inspired in concept designed by @m1024 in the first post of this thread;

How to install:

You can use the executable as standalone replacement or all the package as an update of current GMenu2X.
But is *STRONGLY* recommended that you have a backup of your files and current GMenu2X setup. Also, have enough knowledge to recover the backup if something goes wrong or if you simply prefer the older GMenu2X.  ;)

In short, you have to:
- Extract this zip over current GMenu2X folder, making sure to replace all files with the newer ones.

In this version there's no section links nor gmenu2x.conf file, so your current configs will not be overwritten.

If you find any issue, please report with all details as possible and we will try to solve. ;)

With many thanks to @m1024  and @jutley  for all the patience while testing this version and @Steward_Fu  for all the hard work done in porting old GMenu2X to RS-97.

Hope you enjoy.

Release:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/raw/master/dist/retrogame/GMenuNext.zip

Source:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/

Perfect!! At the moment is working very well without errors. It's possible to add previews for all emulators?
Other question, it could be possible add the hour in the menu?
Thanks for your effort.

pingflood

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2018, 10:04:30 pm »
Perfect!! At the moment is working very well without errors. It's possible to add previews for all emulators?

Yes, you can add previews for any emulator. Check the quick "how to" I posted few days ago:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/gmenunext-let's-make-gmenu-great-again!/msg177392/#msg177392

Other question, it could be possible add the hour in the menu?

I don't think RS-97 have real time clock. If it have, then maybe is possible. But clock is a system wide feature and can't be fixed by GMenu.  :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:07:29 pm by pingflood »

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2018, 10:25:54 pm »
About preview images:

My current practice is to set the preview paths to ./previews by editing the link files on my computer or with Glutexto. Preview images can now live in a sub folder of each rom folder and you can have multiple rom and preview folders for each emulator/link.

To create the images I use Universal XML Scraper with a custom profile (128x128, png, screenshot). The profile can be downloaded from this message. Please change it from jpg to png to get sharper images. The rename script is not required anymore, btw.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:33:12 pm by m1024 »
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

tackro

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2018, 06:23:32 am »
About preview images:

My current practice is to set the preview paths to ./previews by editing the link files on my computer or with Glutexto. Preview images can now live in a sub folder of each rom folder and you can have multiple rom and preview folders for each emulator/link.

To create the images I use Universal XML Scraper with a custom profile (128x128, png, screenshot). The profile can be downloaded from this message. Please change it from jpg to png to get sharper images. The rename script is not required anymore, btw.

what's the directory of those link files?
when I select a folder on link edit, it came with two bars "//mnt/..."

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:30 am »
The links for all emulators are located in '/gmenu2x/sections/emulators/'.

I think within GMenu you can only select a absolute path like //mnt/..., but if you edit the link files with Glutexto or via your computer (USB or SD) you can just edit it to:
Code: [Select]
selectorscreens=./previews
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

tackro

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2018, 10:47:23 pm »
thanks, got it
but the config for scrapper is download only jpg images, have a solution?

Sheyk90

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:48 pm »
About preview images:

I did it and I can't see previews..I try a lot of times and don't work for me  :'( Help me, please. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:49:26 pm by Sheyk90 »

pingflood

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2018, 03:07:14 am »

How to install:

In short, you have to:

Hope you enjoy.

Release:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/raw/master/dist/rs97/GMenuNext.zip

Source:

New version available. Changelog:

* Fixed the Log Viewer;
* Added default values for brightness and global volume;
* New poweroff menu;
* New brightness slider control;
* New battery logger screen;
* New linear fit for battery level measurements (waiting for logs to improve);
* Rearranged how all input buttons are handled in main menu;
* Added option to customize the inactive timeout to suspend. Values can be set set between 10 to 300 seconds;
* Improved how to trigger power off and suspend via power button:
     * If hold the power button for ~1s, it will suspend the device;
     * If hold the power button for ~2.5s, power off menu will pop up;
* When waking up from suspended state, a press in power menu should wake up the device with at least 10% of brightness level;
* Rearranged in "core" of the main menu where it redraws the screen. Prevent redraw screen while in "suspend" mode.
* Absolute path resolving in filelister; Prevents (?) buffer overflow after browsing a lot of files and allow resolving relative paths.

**2018-04-24**
* Fixed incorrect brightness when returning from suspend mode;
* Dynamic fill the icon tray;
* Added option to auto hide a MessageBox;
* Use MessageBox to draw some messages;
* Save screenshot with combo [X] + [BUTTON_R];
* Mute/unmute with combo [X] + [TRIGGER_L];
* Fix in DekUI messagebox color;
* Screenshot function is global
* Brightness control is global

Release:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/raw/master/dist/rs97/GMenuNext.zip

Binary only:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/raw/master/dist/rs97/gmenu2x/gmenu2x

Sources:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:55:43 pm by pingflood »

Jutleys

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2018, 04:08:34 am »
Great update thank you.

Manofaction89

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:01 am »
Any themes for it?

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:22 am »
thanks, got it
but the config for scrapper is download only jpg images, have a solution?

Go to Configuration > Advanced > Pictures configuration and change jpg to png.

I did it and I can't see previews..I try a lot of times and don't work for me  :'( Help me, please. Thanks.

Please ensure that your link settings have this line in it: selectorscreens=./previews
and that there actually are png images in e.g. /gb/previews/ like 'Tetris [E].png'

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:00 am »
Any themes for it?

I made two new skins that work with the old and new GMenu design (PSNext and PSNextDark) and updated my other skins to look good with both designs, too. Everything should be included in the GMenuNext.zip.

Another skin that I like is DekUI (and this wallpaper).

pingflood

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »

How to install:

In short, you have to:

Hope you enjoy.

**2018-04-24**
* Fixed the Log Viewer;
* Added default values for brightness and global volume;
* New poweroff menu;
* New brightness slider control;
* New battery logger screen;
* New linear fit for battery level measurements (waiting for logs to improve);
* Rearranged how all input buttons are handled in main menu;
* Added option to customize the inactive timeout to suspend. Values can be set set between 10 to 300 seconds;
* Improved how to trigger power off and suspend via power button:
     * If hold the power button for ~1s, it will suspend the device;
     * If hold the power button for ~2.5s, power off menu will pop up;
* When waking up from suspended state, a press in power menu should wake up the device with at least 10% of brightness level;
* Rearranged in "core" of the main menu where it redraws the screen. Prevent redraw screen while in "suspend" mode.
* Absolute path resolving in filelister; Prevents (?) buffer overflow after browsing a lot of files and allow resolving relative paths.

**2018-04-24**
* Fixed incorrect brightness when returning from suspend mode;
* Dynamic fill the icon tray;
* Added option to auto hide a MessageBox;
* Use MessageBox to draw some messages;
* Save screenshot with combo [X] + [BUTTON_R];
* Mute/unmute with combo [X] + [TRIGGER_L];
* Fix in DekUI messagebox color;
* Screenshot function is global
* Brightness control is global

New version available. Changelog:

**2018-04-26**
* Add some system information in About screen;
* About screen using about.txt

**2018-04-25**
* Save screenshot in a ./screenshots
* First adjust in battery indicator based in data provided by Battery Logging. Thanks to @Valenhir, @m1024 and @jutley for logging and sharing battery data. ;)

Releases:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/releases
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:59:09 am by pingflood »

Stouffa

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2018, 09:40:43 pm »
Installed this a few days back, really liking it so far, gives the device a more modern setup that makes better use of the screen space. Even having a more polished power off menu gives a more professional feel to everything! Thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Jutleys

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:54 pm »

pingflood

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2018, 02:26:01 am »
New release of GMenuNext is out:
https://github.com/pingflood/GMenuNext/releases/tag/2018-05-02

Some highlights:
* Image backdrops in main menu and selector;
* Page up/down in settings dialog;
* Page up/down and rollover in context menu;

How image backdrops works:
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20221007122355/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCw0s8GwDLA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCw0s8GwDLA</a>

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2018, 08:26:46 am »
Very cool feature  8)

Small bug:
Using absolute paths works for the main menu and the selector, but links like 'skin:wallpapers/mario.jpg' don't work in the file selector.

I thought about skinnable backdrops (again):  ;)
What about a global setting 'Use theme backdrops' that is deactivated by default?
Deactivated: Only user selected backdrops from link settings are used (current behavior).
Activated: User selected backdrops are checked first. Then there is a one-time scan for files in the backdrops folder of the current skin for each link. Similar to how link icons are handled:
skin:backdrops/fceux.jpg (or .png), skin:backdrops/czdoom.jpg etc.

When a user only needs to activate this feature to get a full set of backdrops it would be easier than selecting everything manually for each link. Users that want to have no backdrops or only some could still be satisfied.

ruffnutts

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:29 am »
I still want to have the option to hide the section bar to have more screen for the backdrops and icons ;)

Great work pingflood  ;)

Post a new topic