Author Topic: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!  (Read 1923 times)

pingflood

Re: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:10 pm »
In theory all skins could be used with the new layout.

Yes, it is using the skin color and I'm trying to make possible to customize the bar/lists positions, width and height by skin.

I've made some adjusts, so current skins will work (considering limitations). See attached examples for OldBoy, PS4 and Next..

To get that emulation station design, I'd rather make a new skin: top bar, icons and font in dark grey, wallpaper in light grey.

I don't think that first prototype of ES design will be possible with the changes are being made for this. Not a big problem, though.

What do you think about the current bottom bar? Reduce it and move it to the left bar (cleaner, less geeky, less info) or keep it at the bottom (takes space away from the link list, more clutter)?

I don't know yet how to fit the bottom bar with your mockup and other screens. I think all screens should be cohesive in design.
For screens with actions (other than selector), bottom bar seems to make sense.

To understand, compare attached screenshots for different screens. If you could, try to design a mockup for the "Settings", "Wallpaper" and "About" screens that fits your concept (left bar, no bottom bar, etc), then we see if can be made with GMenu limitations..

pingflood

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:54 pm »
With PS4 Skin

pingflood

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:48 pm »
Next skin, with transparent color. (a lot of tweaks had to be done to not overlay transparencies. I'm not happy with that and will be reworked)

bartimeaus

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »
Are you just skinning right now or is the menu already working?

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 07:31:42 pm »
I'll post some mockups for the screens on Monday, but here are my first thoughts on this.

I see two different types of 'bottom bars':

1) Status info like battery, sd, cpu etc. This could be shown at the bottom or top of the right area in the main menu. This should not overlap onto the left bar. Depending on the skin settings it could even have a fully transparent background, where it would just 'float' like this.
Another idea would be to integrate this status info into the left bar at the bottom, like I did with the battery info. From bottom to top (3 rows with 2 cols each): battery, brightness, volume/sd

2) Context actions and buttons. Because of the limited resolution, I don't think we can be consistent over all screens. I really like the vertical list of context actions below the preview as this allows you to have the full height for the list on the right side. In other settings or about screens I favor a floating horizontal list with transparent background and low contrast to not distract from the main content.
Setting and about screens:
Even if it breaks the vertical bar design, a horizontal bar on top with the title and description would be pragmatic. To keep the light and clean design, the bottom bar should be fully transparent like I described above.

About the skin color usage:
Adding a new color setting (like you did?) to dim or brighten the wallpaper is a good idea. Most wallpapers make text in the current GMenu unreadable. This should be applyed to all screens including settings and about.

PS: You have to write a short tutorial some time on how to compile and emulate a fork of Stewards stuff  ;)
Make sure to update PS4, OldBoy and Zelda skins after updating to CFW 1.2:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

pingflood

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
1) Status info like battery, sd, cpu etc. This could be shown at the bottom or top of the right area in the main menu. This should not overlap onto the left bar.

Agreed. I think this "hacky" infos should be only in main menu. Overlap or not the left bar, I think we should test and see what have the better compromise between design and coding. Overlapping is easier to code, because it will be only one function to manage the bar for every screen.

Depending on the skin settings it could even have a fully transparent background, where it would just 'float' like this.

There is already an option to make it transparent. Just make the alpha channel 00. The problem with the current implementation on GMenu2X is that if in the skin there is not an image for bottom bar background, it will use the default skin image. To workaround this, you must have a transparent image (1x1px) for background. It's a "bug" by design of GMenu2X.

For now, I disabled the loading of bottom/top bar bg images.

Another idea would be to integrate this status info into the left bar at the bottom, like I did with the battery info. From bottom to top (3 rows with 2 cols each): battery, brightness, volume/sd

Also thought about this, but I don't think there's enough room for all icons in a way that do not waste a lot of space. Maybe having a section + info bar is the way.

But one thing that should really be different is the text on brightness level. I think it should be replaced by icons (without text), just like the battery level. Text of battery level could be removed too.

2) Context actions and buttons. Because of the limited resolution, I don't think we can be consistent over all screens. I really like the vertical list of context actions below the preview as this allows you to have the full height for the list on the right side. In other settings or about screens I favor a floating horizontal list with transparent background and low contrast to not distract from the main content.

Setting and about screens:
Even if it breaks the vertical bar design, a horizontal bar on top with the title and description would be pragmatic. To keep the light and clean design, the bottom bar should be fully transparent like I described above.

Maybe we could focus on 3 types of screens:
1. Main menu
2. File selector (the one with big left bar)
3. Regular screen, topbar, list/text and bottom bar (like the current GMenu2X)

Regarding the bottom bar color, this could be changed on skin.conf, letting the user customize it.

About the skin color usage:
Adding a new color setting (like you did?) to dim or brighten the wallpaper is a good idea. Most wallpapers make text in the current GMenu unreadable. This should be applyed to all screens including settings and about.

I have added a "listBg" option in skin.conf, so this could be customized. To make it totaly clear(solid), change alpha channel to 00(FF).

PS: You have to write a short tutorial some time on how to compile and emulate a fork of Stewards stuff  ;)

I haven't tested the code on real RS-97 because I don't own one, so I don't know if my dev setup is building for this device.

But as soon as I finish this first revamp, I will commit to github, so anyone can work on it.

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 10:55:16 pm »
If we keep the info bar at the bottom, it could also be right aligned so that it basically never overlaps the left sections bar. If the content of this info bar is compacted (brightness level via icon instead of text, clock speed moved to settings/about), these 4 icons (battery, brightness, volume, sd as 2x2) could easily fit in the left bar, too  ;)

About the context actions in the bottom bar in general: Depending on the font, the bottom bar can often not show all items at once since its only 320px wide. What do you think about replacing it with a common help dialog? Like X opens a small dialog that shows all context actions as a list. This could be consistent through all screens, makes more room for the main content and reduces even more visual clutter.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

pingflood

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:55 am »
If the content of this info bar is compacted (brightness level via icon instead of text, clock speed moved to settings/about), these 4 icons (battery, brightness, volume, sd as 2x2) could easily fit in the left bar, too  ;)

There are more than 4 icons. I recall having also (at least) an info and menu icon.

If you could draw an icon for brightness, I can try to add it to code. ;)

About the context actions in the bottom bar in general: Depending on the font, the bottom bar can often not show all items at once since its only 320px wide.

I think there's also a need to revamp the text. There are a lot of text that are unnecessary long, also some references to GP2X and Dingoo. But if a cleanup is done on text, will also need to update all the translations.

What do you think about replacing it with a common help dialog? Like X opens a small dialog that shows all context actions as a list. This could be consistent through all screens, makes more room for the main content and reduces even more visual clutter.

For now let's just clean and reorder the existing screens and see what we can get. In the future, we can add more features like that. ;)

I manage to fix the layer overlapping issue, but had to change some things on "core" of GMenu2X (e.g., moved on code where it draws topbar). With this sorted out, I could add the topbar to other screens.

Check the video I just uploaded:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEUl-iF-uM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEUl-iF-uM</a>

(still using the "Next" skin to test alpha channel)

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
I only saw these icons in the skins folder, but never really noticed then on my device... Nevertheless the botom bar in your latest video looks good  :)

A brihtness icon similar to the battery icon is a good idea. Removing the battery percentage is no loss either as it only uses hard coded steps and the percentage doesn't relate to the actual runtime, yet.

The main menu with the sections bar looks a bit squished. As the right half of the links area is empty most of the time, we could increase the horizontal padding and margin of the section icons and links. Having more space between the section and link icons would make the whole layout clearer. Would you mind trying out the values from my first mockup?

kapster

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:37 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEUl-iF-uM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEUl-iF-uM</a>

(still using the "Next" skin to test alpha channel)

Does “terminal” mode actually work?

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:46 am »
@kapster Don't think so. It's not running on a real device yet.

@pingflood I played around with the bottom bar and can understand the transparency problem: Having two overlapping transparent bars (left and bottom) looks odd. I made a new mockup with a opaque bottom bar and unobtrusive text/icons (50% alpha).

Also added a new font color (fontAlt) for text on the side, top and bottom bar. Using only one color for all texts limits the design too much and having an outline around the texts looks very uneasy.

PS: From a design perspective a toast style bottom bar would be best: After entering a different screen the bottom bar is shown for 3 seconds and slides down after that. Pressing Y brings it up again  8)

jutley

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 11:50:22 am »
Great progress guys i like what i am seeing keep up the good work.
Please do visit my Retrogame
RS97-90
Handmade01
Papk3plus sites below for the latest
(News,guides,tips,mods)

https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90/home
https://jutleys.wixsite.com/papk3plus
https://jutleys.wixsite.com/handmade01/home/

My Devices
Gemini Pda (Duel boot Android/Debian)
GPD Pocket (Duelboot windows 10/Ubuntu 17.10)
Retro game R

pingflood

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »
Also added a new font color (fontAlt) for text on the side, top and bottom bar. Using only one color for all texts limits the design too much and having an outline around the texts looks very uneasy.

Agreed with the issue with font color. But in the current implementation of GMenu2X there are a lot of limitations regarding font styles and colors. E.g., if, as is, I try to add 2 new font styles, it will crash due to excessive memory usage. I will work on this in a near future.

PS: From a design perspective a toast style bottom bar would be best: After entering a different screen the bottom bar is shown for 3 seconds and slides down after that. Pressing Y brings it up again  8)

I understand the idea but I don't think I like "hidden" options. I know it's not the case of RS-97, but GMenu also support touch screen devices. So, (most of) that icons on the bottom are also clickable.

Btw, I really liked the new mockup you did. In my opinion, it fits a very good compromise between "legacy" GMenu (rightmost screen) with the "Next".

I also liked the Main Menu mockup, with no bottom bar and icons on section bar. I will try to implement that, as soon as I finish fixing my buildroot environment for mipsel.  ;)

pingflood

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 01:16:30 pm »
For brightness icon, instead of a bulb, how about something like this? (attached, found on google images, need rework)

pingflood

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »
I made a new mockup with...

Regarding the latest mockup, I just had another idea.

How about having two selector screens, dynamically chosen if screenshot path is set?

This way, if the screenshot path is set, the selector screen will be like the first screen of the image you shared.
If is not set, the selector screen will be like the third screen - i.e., just like regular GMenu. (topbar and plain list, with no screenshot area)

Post a new topic