Author Topic: Genesis Gopher 2 handheld console  (Read 8553 times)

Princebatman

Re: Genesis Gopher 2 handheld console
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 01:47:38 pm »
all in Russian... dam we need some English info  :o
Ask specific questions. I will try to answer them

Some of the reviews are saying the stock firmware will damage the system after a few months.

https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/139576036/

I specifically google translated what Alexey wrote.  Do you know anything about this.  And does the custom firmware solve this problem?

blackz1982

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:58 pm »

Some of the reviews are saying the stock firmware will damage the system after a few months.

I specifically google translated what Alexey wrote.  Do you know anything about this.  And does the custom firmware solve this problem?

Yes such problem is. Occurs because power button physicaly turn off console. Without appropriate switching off of operational system. Over time it led to damage of files on the internal memory card. Custom firmware solve this problem because in her there is a menu item providing appropriate switching off of the console.
I hope clear I have written.

Princebatman

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 05:15:16 pm »

Yes such problem is. Occurs because power button physicaly turn off console. Without appropriate switching off of operational system. Over time it led to damage of files on the internal memory card. Custom firmware solve this problem because in her there is a menu item providing appropriate switching off of the console.
I hope clear I have written.

I understand what you mean.   It's kind of like turning off a raspberry pi without shutting it down properly.   I hope people who have bought this, will install the custom firmware and shut down their unit properly.  It will suck for them when it stops working after a few months. 

Thanks for clearing this up.

blackz1982

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »
  It will suck for them when it stops working after a few months. 

You can alwayas reflash firmware. It's not that hard.

Princebatman

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:50 am »

Yeah, but the majority of people will probably just think their unit is dead and throw it in the trash.

As for retropie on raspberry pi, there is a shutdown script that you click before you turn off the device.

If there was a menu item on the gopher 2 for this, it would be great.  Or if a script could be written for
the power off button, instead of pressing L + R + C.  I could see myself not playing for awhile and picking
it up 6 months later and forgetting to press those button combinations and needing to reflash.

Either way, the gopher 2 seems like a great handheld.   The company needs to do a firmware update or
have a downloadable patch to fix this *severe bug*.

I was ready to buy one, but I might hold off until it gets fixed officially.  If an English menu patch becomes
available that could persuade me to get it though...

SaintD

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:23 am »

Yeah, but the majority of people will probably just think their unit is dead and throw it in the trash.

As for retropie on raspberry pi, there is a shutdown script that you click before you turn off the device.

If there was a menu item on the gopher 2 for this, it would be great.  Or if a script could be written for
the power off button, instead of pressing L + R + C.  I could see myself not playing for awhile and picking
it up 6 months later and forgetting to press those button combinations and needing to reflash.

Either way, the gopher 2 seems like a great handheld.   The company needs to do a firmware update or

I was ready to buy one, but I might hold off until it gets fixed officially.  If an English menu patch becomes

I totally agree that the proper shutdown issue is a big deal that should have been address from the beginning. So far I've had no issue with internal/external SD corruption...yet. But I'm also capable of re-flashing and understand why this could happen.

As far as the Russian menus, not nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be before receiving it. Since the stock firmware is so simple and the main menu is already in English (console names and rom names) you only have to deal with Russian in the emulator or in-game menus. Once using it for a bit it's no big deal. It's easy to remember which option to choose cause you immediately know if it's the right one based on seeing the config options showing the current volume/brightness % and aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9). If that makes sense. Basically, if anyone is interested in adding this device to their collection and don't mind the price, then it's worth it. The Russian is no big deal and doesn't pose an issue. The stock firmware is minimal and simple to navigate. If you don't like the price and want the same performance or possibly more capabilities, then just grab a K3P or RS-97.

Princebatman

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 04:30:23 am »

I totally agree that the proper shutdown issue is a big deal that should have been address from the beginning. So far I've had no issue with internal/external SD corruption...yet. But I'm also capable of re-flashing and understand why this could happen.

As far as the Russian menus, not nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be before receiving it. Since the stock firmware is so simple and the main menu is already in English (console names and rom names) you only have to deal with Russian in the emulator or in-game menus. Once using it for a bit it's no big deal. It's easy to remember which option to choose cause you immediately know if it's the right one based on seeing the config options showing the current volume/brightness % and aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9). If that makes sense. Basically, if anyone is interested in adding this device to their collection and don't mind the price, then it's worth it. The Russian is no big deal and doesn't pose an issue. The stock firmware is minimal and simple to navigate. If you don't like the price and want the same performance or possibly more capabilities, then just grab a K3P or RS-97.

I agree completely. The English would be a bonus for me. I have a K3P and RS-97.  I have the gpd-xd too.  I think I'm just into design, style, and function.  I was just about to put my order in for this, but the Firmware Failure bug left a bad taste in my mouth.  This definitely seems like it should be a downloadable flash fix from the company.  I may just wait a few more months and see what happens.  I will keep my eye on it for sure though.  I like what I see.

Will you put the alternative firmware on or stay with the stock?

ruffnutts

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:10 pm »
So I received it and its the newest model serial starting with 1705 so I'm happy about that, will have a play see what it is like once I feel better, bit under the weather at the moment, will post findings soon

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

blackz1982

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »
There november update official firmware https://yadi.sk/d/YbwkN4F73PrPLP.
Changes:
1) Add new instructions which allow to reproduce the bigger number of the games SMD, and a part of games is reproduced now more correctly.
2) Add support of the games Sega Master Systems
3) Now in settings of a game it is possible to choose screen width: either 16:9, or 4:3
4) In the games GBC it is also possible to choose screen 16:9 width now.
5) Now in the games SNES by default the R and L buttons work, as well as it is necessary, on the shifts of the console, but aren't removed in the C and Y buttons
6) The list of the games NES and SNES adding many Russian-speaking games that acquaintance to them was much simpler for the audience not familiar with English is updated. If to someone existence of original versions of games is important, you can always download them from the Internet and start the card through microSD.
7) Some copies of consoles were subject that the built-in games flew. After updating of an insertion with Gopher 2 won't fly to this version of a game any more.
8) Now an exit in the Additional menu in the games SMD, SMS, NES is carried out not only through pressing of a combination of the Start+Menu keys, but also through pressing of any of console shift. All the same they in these games aren't used, and the combination of keys isn't always obvious (of course if not to study previously the instruction or at least the section Reference).
9) The sound in earphones works as it is necessary. However, if you have a console of the first wave, then adjustment of a sound needs to be made in appropriate section of the Additional menu. In all other consoles adjustment is carried out through a volume control castor.
10) Darkwing Duck - a sound works at the correct speed now.
11) At connection of microSD of the folder on the memory card are displayed with the corresponding badges.
12) Support of the games GBA is removed.

blackz1982

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 02:05:54 pm »
There https://yadi.sk/d/eH5hake23S4w3X emulator picodrive.
support of 6 buttons + MODE, render 16bit.
The supported expansions *.smd, *.bin, * iso, *.cue, *.gen.
Settings of the emulator are by default exposed on the maximum, all buttons are placed in the places.
In order that settings by default worked it is necessary to remove an old config, for this purpose to start DinguxCommander, to come into the boot/local/home/folder and to remove the .picodrive folder!!!

Princebatman

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 06:47:28 pm »
That's awesome that they are updating the firmware like this!  There is hope that the will fix the *severe* unit bricking bug.  By now, they have to know about it.

This little handheld is looking better and better each day.  Btw, if you email the ebay seller, they can ship orange. I asked and they said they do.

kapster

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 07:22:13 pm »
Anyone have the specs for this thing? I can?t seem to find it anywhere. Also removing GBA support in the firmware update seems odd, was the performance really bad?

blackz1982

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:07 am »
Anyone have the specs for this thing? I can?t seem to find it anywhere. Also removing GBA support in the firmware update seems odd, was the performance really bad?
4.3" 480x272
Ingenic JZ4760
64 Mb Ram
2000 mAh
Dingux

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:13:30 am by blackz1982 »

ruffnutts

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:25 am »
I noticed it rattles, which means the battery must be loose, can anyone check there's just by shaking it a bit so I know if its just me thanks

blackz1982

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52:01 pm »
I noticed it rattles, which means the battery must be loose, can anyone check there's just by shaking it a bit so I know if its just me thanks

Yes it rattles

Post a new topic