Author Topic: Game G100 / Cheap GBA SP clone issue  (Read 26407 times)

tktagmedia

Re: Game G100 / Cheap GBA SP clone issue
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2019, 11:45:03 pm »
How much cash are we talking for you to give it a try?  I have some extra cash in my pocket and would be willing to fund some research!

quadjfet

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2019, 03:35:51 am »
Tempting, but I'm not accepting donations myself at this time. Certainly not for a software deliverable. I've revised the original post. Getting the device into the right hands helps, but those people also have to be interested and not busy with other stuff...

It has not been very long since pcerceui confirmed that the device was hackable, and there's some other stuff going on with jz4770.

If you're not intending to build kernels, I'd check back in 4-8 weeks.

v47

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2019, 09:30:55 pm »
I'm assuming a 15 minute battery life (after charging fully) is not normal, right?

Rhyon0

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2020, 08:02:12 am »
Any news with the CFW for the console?  Another question for those who already have it, how is the crash nitro kart game doing on this console and the rest of GBA?  since I am very interested and if the FW can be changed or if they have achieved something to improve it.

Rhyon0

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »
If anyone is interested, I saw this person on YouTube who installed opendingux on the game g100 console, but I don't know how he would have done it.  Maybe they can consult him and he can solve it and get the CFW vendor for the G100.

https: //youtu.be/xvFEN1lREAs

v47

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 05:44:27 pm »
No, he clearly says the G100 is still using the original firmware in one of the posts.

Rhyon0

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2020, 04:14:20 am »
No, he clearly says the G100 is still using the original firmware in one of the posts.

Usually.  How do Gameboy advance games work on the G100?  I am referring to 3D games, itself "crash nitro kart", since I am very interested in the console for the price and how similar it is to the gameboy advance sp. Do you recommend it? Since I am only looking for an economical console that works well  Gameboy games, Gameboy color and Gameboy advance (including 3D games of the latter).  Do Gameboy advance (3D) games run with a lot of lag on the game G100?

v47

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2020, 10:44:54 am »
Yes, more demanding GBA games are not great, don't expect Doom or Crash Nitro to run at enjoyable speeds. Having custom firmware available would help, but not much, JZ4725B powered devices have low performance.

I wouldn't recommend the G100, unless you can get it for very cheap (got mine for $15 total, as I've received a partial refund for the battery, which holds the charge for about 15 minutes), you only want to play some less demanding GBA games (GB and GBC are bad on the original firmware, as you have to use Goomba to convert the roms), and you really like the shell.

With custom firmware, the device would run a lot of gen4 console games relatively fine, just like the RetroMini, and could be recommended to people on very tight budgets who also want the GBA SP shell. And even that's questionable, because for just a few dollars more, you can get the PowKiddy V90, which also has a GBA SP format shell, and runs everything up to PS1 without problems.

Maybe try asking Jutleys, seems like he somehow made OpenDingux happen on the RG99, so he could possibly do the same on the G100?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:34:42 pm by v47 »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
Maybe try asking Jutleys, seems like he somehow made OpenDingux happen on the RG99, so he could possibly do the same on the G100?
That was steward-fu.

Something i would add for the G100, the screen is pretty bad (lots of tearing) and the buttons aren't great either, it's not as good as what the GBA SP used to be.

v47

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2020, 04:08:13 pm »
He posted the topic (where the devs are credited) and the flash guide, so I'd assume he is involved in some manner (and maybe knows how to help, or where to direct requests).

Any $25 device is unavoidably going to be not great in one way or another, but still can be sufficient for some people (not everybody cares about tearing or button quality), especially with proper software.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing cfw running on the G100 - with a new $5 battery, it would be a $20 handheld I could drag around without care (the shell design allowing me to just pop it into my pocket without any pouches or cases), and play my few select GB/GBC/GBA/SNES games with next to no issue.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:14:30 pm by v47 »

Rhyon0

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2020, 07:41:11 am »
He posted the topic (where the devs are credited) and the flash guide, so I'd assume he is involved in some manner (and maybe knows how to help, or where to direct requests).

Any $25 device is unavoidably going to be not great in one way or another, but still can be sufficient for some people (not everybody cares about tearing or button quality), especially with proper software.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing cfw running on the G100 - with a new $5 battery, it would be a $20 handheld I could drag around without care (the shell design allowing me to just pop it into my pocket without any pouches or cases), and play my few select GB/GBC/GBA/SNES games with next to no issue.

another query, does the EXT port of the game G100 work for multiplayer?  Has anyone tried it if it works?

v47

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2020, 09:12:00 am »
Wasn't working on the RS-97, so 99.99% chance it won't work on the G100 either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:21:57 am by v47 »

Rhyon0

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2020, 09:32:52 am »
Yes, more demanding GBA games are not great, don't expect Doom or Crash Nitro to run at enjoyable speeds. Having custom firmware available would help, but not much, JZ4725B powered devices have low performance.

I wouldn't recommend the G100, unless you can get it for very cheap (got mine for $15 total, as I've received a partial refund for the battery, which holds the charge for about 15 minutes), you only want to play some less demanding GBA games (GB and GBC are bad on the original firmware, as you have to use Goomba to convert the roms), and you really like the shell.

With custom firmware, the device would run a lot of gen4 console games relatively fine, just like the RetroMini, and could be recommended to people on very tight budgets who also want the GBA SP shell. And even that's questionable, because for just a few dollars more, you can get the PowKiddy V90, which also has a GBA SP format shell, and runs everything up to PS1 without problems.

And did you talk to jutleys about the G100?  I mean to be able to make a cfw for the game g100

v47

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2020, 09:47:59 am »
I didn't, feel free to do so.

Rhyon0

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 04:06:29 am »
PSA: THIS DEVICE DOES NOT CURRENTLY RUN FREE SOFTWARE
IT MAY NEVER
DON'T BUY IT YET

I pulled the lcd out and managed to drive it with cut-and-paste arduino code (MIT), see thread here: https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/rs90-in-a-gba-sp-shell/ .

The device is currently waiting on somebody with kernel skills to make the required modifications to the RS90 kernel. I set up a build machine VM to play with, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do much productive with it. I got some new parts in the mail yesterday and got distracted by a hardware modding project, since that's a little more in my wheelhouse. Details on that soon.

Interested parties who wish to contribute technically should check out
- http://www.treewalker.org/opendingux/
- zcrc.me
- #opendingux on Freenode
- "JZ4725B_ds.pdf" , "JZ4725B_pm.pdf" , available for download on the internet

I plan to check back in on the G100 in a few weeks. If there's no new developments by then I'll try to build some ham-fisted kernels of my own. I am willing to run breadboard experiments at any time, as I've kept my setup together.

@quadjfet Any news about a possible CFW for the game g100?

AlphaMaleClone

« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:13 pm »
I'm waiting for this too  ;D

The most annoying thing apart the hardness of buttons is the fact that L/R buttons cant work combined with others buttons. Metro Zero is impossible to finish because you cant fire missiles  :( ...

Rhyon0

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 12:08:12 am »
What platform is metro zero from?

AlphaMaleClone

ns
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2020, 01:58:45 am »
Oh sorry . I meant Metroid Zero Mission. On GBA of course. I typed too fast, without verification  :'(

When I push R for the missiles and then B to fire, i just switch to the normal gun and shoot.
Weird enough, when I push [ R + L + B ] i successfully shoot a missile ... but only diagonally.

Rhyon0

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2020, 04:12:56 am »
Consult, how long does the battery last for the normal console?  because I bought one on aliexpress in mid-August and it arrived 3 days ago and well, I want to know how long the charge lasts for you.  to know if it is normal or not.  The other when I charge it (a red led turns on) and when it finishes the led turns off.  Are you also charged like this or when it is 100% charged does the green LED turn on?

Rhyon0

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:15 am »
Hello, inquiry.  Has it happened to someone that the console does not charge the battery?  because mine out of nowhere stayed like this without charging the battery and when connecting it with the usb cable to the current or on a PC with or without the console battery installed, it shows that it is charging, and this does it even though the battery does not  be on the console.