Author Topic: DOSBox fixes for RS-97  (Read 4004 times)

HercTNT

Re: DOSBox fixes for RS-97
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 04:08:45 am »
positive. i have two units. a model 1.2 and model 2.0. both are running useless 1.4 with the last service pack. no previous dosbox had a menu that worked. atleast not for me.
Ah. Useless 1.4. Sorry, I thought you meant Jutley's 1.4. Useless 1.4 is equivalent to Jutley's 1.5 firmware. I need to get that environment up and running and I'll test it.

sounds good. I will do any testing you need done if needed. i'm trying to get more dos games to test. as has been pointed out before, it's pretty amazing how many games boot right up, but just suffer from control issues.

Jim Goose

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 06:12:17 am »
This works with the original version of the system.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
GPD WIN 1
RS-97

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 04:31:56 am »
sounds good. I will do any testing you need done if needed. i'm trying to get more dos games to test. as has been pointed out before, it's pretty amazing how many games boot right up, but just suffer from control issues.
Good news! I now have a toolchain for the Useless / Jutley 1.5 firmwares. From now on I'll refer to the firmwares as "uclib" for the old stuff and "musl" for the new stuff. This refers to the base C library the firmware uses and is the determining factor for compatibility.

I was able to replicate the issue you reported where the menu doesn't work. I don't know if A600's build is older or what the deal is. However, a fresh compile did not exhibit this issue. So try upgrading using this version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gIadFJSQsS3KSgbuzNAAFQH1ux6Qr9eL/view?usp=sharing

That should have all the latest fixes and menu support.

Let me know if you see any issues.

HercTNT

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 05:16:33 am »
Good news! I now have a toolchain for the Useless / Jutley 1.5 firmwares. From now on I'll refer to the firmwares as "uclib" for the old stuff and "musl" for the new stuff. This refers to the base C library the firmware uses and is the determining factor for compatibility.

I was able to replicate the issue you reported where the menu doesn't work. I don't know if A600's build is older or what the deal is. However, a fresh compile did not exhibit this issue. So try upgrading using this version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gIadFJSQsS3KSgbuzNAAFQH1ux6Qr9eL/view?usp=sharing

That should have all the latest fixes and menu support.

Let me know if you see any issues.

so far it seems to be working. the menu works now and games like before boot up fine. the only thing i can point out is setting menu options does not appear to effect anything in the game. Halloween harry and epic pinball run the same speed no matter what frameskip you set for example. i'ts possible i'm doing something wrong mind you, but i don't seem to be getting the same results performance wise that you are in the game games.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2018, 09:28:56 pm »
so far it seems to be working. the menu works now and games like before boot up fine. the only thing i can point out is setting menu options does not appear to effect anything in the game. Halloween harry and epic pinball run the same speed no matter what frameskip you set for example. i'ts possible i'm doing something wrong mind you, but i don't seem to be getting the same results performance wise that you are in the game games.
Frameskip doesn't do in DOSBox what you probably think it does.

Game consoles use sprite hardware that needs to be composed and are locked at 60FPS. Frameskip in those cases drops frames like you might expect. Avoiding composition into a framebufffer speeds things up consderably.

Setting frameskip in DOSBox merely causes it to copy the framebuffer less often. DOS games composite to a frame buffer as part of their normal logic, so there's no opportunity for an emulator to skip this. However, this fact also meant that DOS games rarely exceeded 30 FPS. 10 to 15 FPS was not uncommon.

Ok... so what does that mean in practice? Well, it means that setting frameskip correctly can correctly synchronize LCD updates with the game rendering, making the game smoother, reducing screen tearing, and even eliminating weird compositing artifacts. (e.g. Epic Pinball is really bad. With the wrong settings you see a LOT of composting flicker.)

As for the core type, that's performance. Try setting the type to something other than dynamic and watch games like Xargon crawl to a halt.

CPU Type accomplishes very little in my testing.

There are few reasons to adjust the cycle count to a value other than "max". For certain DOS games you can use this to tune the execution to align with desired frame boundaries and make things run smoother.

I have done a lot of testing and have some recommendations to make games run as smooth as possible:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17KtYoIujFVYBgoBUYVAfBUSJwWcKttqztjpHVHjOjqo/edit?usp=sharing

In most cases however, you're fine if you leave the defaults.

jamespoo1

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 11:46:12 am »
wish there was a way to just have a menu to open the .exe file

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2018, 07:11:33 pm »

Can you help me understand your request a bit?

In the current version of the firmware, an EXE chooser comes up when you run DOSBox. When you exit DOSBox you are returned to that chooser. How does the current ability to hit the power button to exit top the chooser not meet your needs?

Thanks for the feedback!

jamespoo1

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2018, 01:57:55 am »

Can you help me understand your request a bit?

In the current version of the firmware, an EXE chooser comes up when you run DOSBox. When you exit DOSBox you are returned to that chooser. How does the current ability to hit the power button to exit top the chooser not meet your needs?

Thanks for the feedback!

i downloaded the dosbox from the link in the post here and it just opens dosbox but i have to type everything out and its a pain to do this every time 

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2018, 04:21:19 pm »
i downloaded the dosbox from the link in the post here and it just opens dosbox but i have to type everything out and its a pain to do this every time

Gotcha. So to be clear, the booting into DOS is just the way this emulator works. There are strong reasons why you might want to do so. However, for general usage this is very easy to solve.

If you're using a newer firmware, you can just copy the new "dosbox" executable over top of the original to simply upgrade the emulator in place.

If you'd rather not upgrade your built-in copy, you can quickly create a selector by hitting the "Select" button at the menu screen and then choosing "Add a Link". Point the link to where you installed the executable, and set "Show Folders" to "On". You can optionally set the "File Filter" to something like, ".exe,.bat,.com" to show only executable files. You also want to make sure the CPU Clock is set to 600.

Use the new icon to launch DOSBox and you should get the EXE selection menu you're looking for. :)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic