Author Topic: DOSBox fixes for RS-97  (Read 3958 times)

jbanes (OP)

Re: DOSBox fixes for RS-97
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 07:55:34 pm »
If I am not mistaken, I think that works on scummvm. It seems like it would anyway.

Alas, it's still not supported by ScummVM. Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rights just got added to the supported list in August. And even then, I think the game skips the space battles.

It will be a while before A Final Unity is supported.

Jim Goose

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 05:17:14 am »
Shucks, I can always hope. I have seen it support some out there games. Like games that might not even have the same engine.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
GPD WIN 1
RS-97

Bitboy

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 09:27:39 am »
That's because the binary is compiled for uClibc and the Useless firm needs binaries for musl so I compiled the binary with the musl toolchain (untested):

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=68034723891280962186

Has anyone got the download to this so i can add it to the next firmware?

HercTNT

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:51 pm »
This is a good question, i know jbanes said he was working on a better version but have not heard from him in awhile. Hopefuly all is well with him.

A600

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 01:42:41 pm »
Hi Guys! I?m still around. Just been a bit busy with life-stuff. The source code is on GitHub and is in a stable state:

https://github.com/jbanes/rs97-dosbox

However, initial reports are that the 1.5 firmware is incompatible with previous firmwares. Presumably the same changes that made Useless incompatible?

Been trying to find some time to build a new development toolchain as well as rip apart and upgrade an RS-97 to test. I?ll start distributing binaries once I?m able to complete that.

In the meantime, it looks like A600 is already there with an updated compile. Thank you A600!  :)

gameblabla

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2018, 02:05:29 pm »
Hi Guys! I?m still around. Just been a bit busy with life-stuff. The source code is on GitHub and is in a stable state:

However, initial reports are that the 1.5 firmware is incompatible with previous firmwares. Presumably the same changes that made Useless incompatible?

Been trying to find some time to build a new development toolchain as well as rip apart and upgrade an RS-97 to test. I?ll start distributing binaries once I?m able to complete that.

In the meantime, it looks like A600 is already there with an updated compile. Thank you A600!  :)
It is the same as Useless RS-97. What's "incompatible" is the fact that there's no CFW for revision 3.0 right now because yes, they released yet another hardware revision.
The toolchain is also the same as mine on github. (https://github.com/gameblabla/buildroot-rs97) You know how to compile buildroot (really it isn't hard) then do it.
It's simply a matter of compiling it with make as long as you have the dependencies.

HercTNT

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2018, 03:00:21 pm »

Thank you a600 for the compile. Jbanes, good to see you, glad all is well. Its amazing how many dos games are so close to working well now. I have tested more games. Mario gallery works nearly perfect but does not have all mouse controls it needs. cool spot runs but needs controls. wacky wheels runs much faster now. so much good progress.
How do i bring up the options menu again. i would like to set frame skip. Also, with this version i was unable to get wing commander to run. i know it was a game you tested. any ideas?

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »
It is the same as Useless RS-97. What's "incompatible" is the fact that there's no CFW for revision 3.0 right now because yes, they released yet another hardware revision.
The toolchain is also the same as mine on github. (https://github.com/gameblabla/buildroot-rs97) You know how to compile buildroot (really it isn't hard) then do it.
It's simply a matter of compiling it with make as long as you have the dependencies.
Ah, so that's what it is. I heard something about uclib changing, but I don't have enough experience with embedded development to figure it out. Getting your toolchain up and running is the step on my list. Just need to build a new VM, compile buildtools, and then get an RS-97 modified with the latest CFW to test. Thanks for all your support!  :)

How do i bring up the options menu again. i would like to set frame skip.
Press the button on the top of the RS-97. It has a starburst pattern on it. It's the button that's used for brightness at the main menu.

Also, with this version i was unable to get wing commander to run. i know it was a game you tested. any ideas?
Follow the settings in the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17KtYoIujFVYBgoBUYVAfBUSJwWcKttqztjpHVHjOjqo/edit?usp=sharing

You can either modify your .conf file, or you can hit the button on top to bring up the menu and change the settings before launching the game. Note that dynamic mode can only be set on launch. You can disable it once launched, but you won't be able to re-enable it.

Also, Wing Commander is a keyboard-heavy game. Plan to bring up the virtual keyboard to perform actions like autopilot, communications, and missile selection.

HercTNT

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
battery on top does nothing. feature seems to be disabled.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 07:18:36 pm »
What happens when you press the power button on the left?

HercTNT

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »
What happens when you press the power button on the left?

very sorry for my late replies. it's been a busy day for me. when i push the power button it backs me out of the emulator back to desktop.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 10:01:01 pm »
very sorry for my late replies. it's been a busy day for me.
No deadlines on anything. We're just discussing devices made for personal entertainment. ;)

when i push the power button it backs me out of the emulator back to desktop.
That is what I would expect to happen. I just wanted to check that DOSBox was reading the special buttons correctly. How weird that the button to bring up the menu isn't working. 

I have a few questions that might help me narrow things down. Please answer what you can and don't fret if you don't know something:

- What version of firmware are you running?
 - Do you know what revision of RS-97 hardware you have?
 - When did you last update DOSBox?
 - Did the menu ever work for you in the past?
 - Do other emulators work with the button on top? (I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. I think NEO4ALL pays attention to it)

HercTNT

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 10:47:33 pm »
very sorry for my late replies. it's been a busy day for me.
No deadlines on anything. We're just discussing devices made for personal entertainment. ;)

when i push the power button it backs me out of the emulator back to desktop.
That is what I would expect to happen. I just wanted to check that DOSBox was reading the special buttons correctly. How weird that the button to bring up the menu isn't working. 

I have a few questions that might help me narrow things down. Please answer what you can and don't fret if you don't know something:

- What version of firmware are you running?
 - Do you know what revision of RS-97 hardware you have?
 - When did you last update DOSBox?
 - Did the menu ever work for you in the past?
 - Do other emulators work with the button on top? (I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. I think NEO4ALL pays attention to it)

Heh, i just like to get back to people in a timely manner. way i see if if people are nice enough to do what they are doing least i can do is be prompt.
I'm running firmware 1.4 with the last service pack from gameblabla on the old version 2 hardware. I updated dosbox today with the build that a600 compiled. No, the menu has never worked and i'm not sure why. Yes, other emulators do use the top button and it works fine. If you can think of anything else, let know, i will help anyway i can. i'm pretty sure i have as much love for dos as you do and i'm happy things are improving. I would never have thought dosbox would run as well as it is on the rs-97.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 12:36:01 am »
Heh, i just like to get back to people in a timely manner. way i see if if people are nice enough to do what they are doing least i can do is be prompt.
That?s really nice of you. I?m not very fast myself though, so don?t stress yourself. ;)

I'm running firmware 1.4 with the last service pack from gameblabla on the old version 2 hardware. I updated dosbox today with the build that a600 compiled. No, the menu has never worked and i'm not sure why. Yes, other emulators do use the top button and it works fine. If you can think of anything else, let know, i will help anyway i can. i'm pretty sure i have as much love for dos as you do and i'm happy things are improving. I would never have thought dosbox would run as well as it is on the rs-97.
Interesting. I take it you were using the latest build from GitHub before that? Let me try out A600?s build tonight and see if my results are any different. If I can?t reproduce, I might give you a program to help log what?s going on.

HercTNT

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:45 am »
That?s really nice of you. I?m not very fast myself though, so don?t stress yourself. ;)

Interesting. I take it you were using the latest build from GitHub before that? Let me try out A600?s build tonight and see if my results are any different. If I can?t reproduce, I might give you a program to help log what?s going on.
yea, i believe so. the previous build stopped working on your last update. a600 compiled the most recent and i was using that today. i would be happy to help figure out what's up. let me know.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 03:59:17 am »
yea, i believe so. the previous build stopped working on your last update. a600 compiled the most recent and i was using that today. i would be happy to help figure out what's up. let me know.
Ok, I tried running A600's build on an RS-97 I have with the 1.4 firmware. No dice. As far as I can tell, it's not compatible with that firmware version.

Are you sure you're not running on the 1.5 firmware?

HercTNT

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29:44 am »
positive. i have two units. a model 1.2 and model 2.0. both are running useless 1.4 with the last service pack. no previous dosbox had a menu that worked. atleast not for me.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »
positive. i have two units. a model 1.2 and model 2.0. both are running useless 1.4 with the last service pack. no previous dosbox had a menu that worked. atleast not for me.
Ah. Useless 1.4. Sorry, I thought you meant Jutley's 1.4. Useless 1.4 is equivalent to Jutley's 1.5 firmware. I need to get that environment up and running and I'll test it.

Post a new topic