Author Topic: DOSBox fixes for RS-97  (Read 3960 times)

HercTNT

Re: DOSBox fixes for RS-97
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:34 am »
I used the built in selector browser in gmenu to point to my dos games folder. when i load dosbox i get the directories for my dos games. I just select the game directory i want, select the exe and my game runs. no editing or typing needed. so far i'm testing a handful of games.
Avalon for dos works great, but i cannot get sound. God of thunder for dos works flawless and is alot of fun. I cannot get mouse movement in games that need mouse. Any feedback on that would be great. i will be testing more games as i get time.

lazanti

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 08:52:53 pm »
Does Jazz Jackrabbit and Wacky Wheels work?

HercTNT

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:17 pm »
Does Jazz Jackrabbit and Wacky Wheels work?
wacky wheels does work but very slow. i'm not sure if it can be optimized further. jazz i have not tested yet. alot of dos games i have tested have worked. my biggest problem is method of control. some games have mouse support that functions and others do not. some games have remappable controls and others don't. if the control scheme can get worked out i imagine plenty of games will be playable to some degree.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
@HercTNT - Mouse support is still on my list of things to look into. I'm considering changing out the backspace on the right trigger with a d-pad mouse mode when held down.

@Iazanti - I haven't tried Wacky Wheels with the performance updates yet, but I do know that Jazz is still not playable. However, there are separate Jazz binaries for the RS-97 that you can add your original or GOG.com data files to in order to get a working game. The native binaries work a lot faster than DOSBox.

HercTNT

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 02:06:52 am »
Sounds good. I have to admit, not long ago i thought dosbox on these devices was futile. You have proven me quite wrong and i'm happy about that. Thank you.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 02:33:47 am »
Sounds good. I have to admit, not long ago i thought dosbox on these devices was futile. You have proven me quite wrong and i'm happy about that. Thank you.

I'm glad I can help. A lot of people put tremendous effort into the software to get it where it is. I'm just trying to help out and optimize it for the RS-97. I grew up on so many amazing DOS games and really want to share them with a new generation. :)

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 05:43:58 pm »
FYI, I've added the beginning of a menu system. When you press the brightness button on the top of the RS-97, it pauses the emulation (what turned out to be the hardest part in all this) and presents you with a menu. Currently you can resume your game or exit the emulator.

I'm hoping to use this as a tool for managing cycle counts, frameskips, and other common DOSBox settings. Should make it easier for me to figure out what's going on under the hood, too.

While it's not the prettiest thing right now, that's easy enough to fix once it gets to a more stable state.

HercTNT

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:45 pm »
Looks fine to me. Does not have to be pretty, just functional. I know i sound like a cheerleader but this excites me more than almost anything else on this system.

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 05:35:01 am »
Looks like setting "frameskip" to 1 and "cycles" to 2000 makes Epic Pinball run almost perfect. The only time you see screen flicker is when it's playing a long sound sample.

Oh yeah. And there's a menu for that now....

Cralex

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 06:00:18 am »
Looks like setting "frameskip" to 1 and "cycles" to 2000 makes Epic Pinball run almost perfect. The only time you see screen flicker is when it's playing a long sound sample.

Oh yeah. And there's a menu for that now....

Rockin! This thing keeps getting better and better.

gameblabla

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 09:57:15 am »
That's nice, once that menu is done, i'll definitely recompile it for my firmware.
(The lack of a menu, especially for DOS games, was sorely lacking)

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:55 am »
@gameblabla - I think the builds are getting pretty close to a stable state. You should be able to take a cut soon here. (Need to figure out a bug where frameskip in the startup file and menu disagree.)

@everyone - FYI, I've started a spreadsheet to track the best working settings for different DOS games. Please feel free to contribute your experiments:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17KtYoIujFVYBgoBUYVAfBUSJwWcKttqztjpHVHjOjqo/edit?usp=sharing

You'll see a lot of "frameskip=1" in there. I recommend that everyone default to using "frameskip=1". At 70Hz the VGA standard will exceed the refresh rate of the RS-97's screen. And most DOS games are designed to top out at around 30fps. Many top out at as little as 15fps. So there are no frames lost if you set a low frameskip.

Also, the audio mixing is still really slow. The newer the game, the less likely there's going to be enough cycles to power the game and the audio. Just turn the background music off in the game if "music" says "no". In many cases you're not missing much.

The spreadsheet is open to anyone who wants to modify it. So go ahead and help improve the database for your fellow gamers.

Thanks everyone! Let me know if you have any feedback.

(P.S. In case it's not obvious, the A button toggles auto versus fixed. Left and right increase/decrease the cycles.)

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 06:50:04 am »
So it turns out that during some of the builds, the dynamic core was disabled. I've fixed that in my build and updated the instructions. Watch out for that if you do your own build.

Thankfully it's much easier to check this now. Make sure your dosbox.conf file has "core=dynamic" set. If it works, you'll see the dynamic core enabled in the menu:

You can disable the dynamic core from the menu. However, the dynamic core won't be available unless you start DOSBox with that core.

You can also adjust the machine type, but I don't recommend messing with that setting.

The menu work is done for now making this a stable build.

Possible features to look at next include:

• Figure out how to remap buttons to different keys for different games
  • Add virtual mouse ability

BTW, Wing Commander works! Wing Commander II... well. Kinda. I've put my notes into the spreadsheet.

HercTNT

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 07:01:00 am »
amazing, i'm twitching. can't wait!!

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 05:24:17 pm »
FYI, Retr0Rob did a video to celebrate Halloween where he played Monster Bash on the RS-97:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW4ltEnhVI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW4ltEnhVI</a>

I gotta do something about that screen tearing tho...

Jim Goose

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:38 am »
I got Arena working, but there are no mouse controls. So I cannot select any menus.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
GPD WIN 1
RS-97

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 12:44:02 pm »
I got Arena working, but there are no mouse controls. So I cannot select any menus.
As in Elder Scrolls Arena? How cool! I hadn?t tried that one because I felt that it would probably be too much for the RS-97. Happy to hear it?s working!

In terms of mouse support, the code is all there to support a mouse. However, as you probably noticed, the RS-97 lacks a mouse altogether. I am investigating the option of virtual mouse support. i.e. Hold the right shoulder and the d-pad behaves as a mouse. My initial investigations look positive, so we?ll see how it goes. 🙂

Jim Goose

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »
Yeah, I loaded in Arena and it booted up flawlessly. I however never got to test anything like fallout because I could not get past any menus. Strangely, Alone in the Dark hardly works.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
GPD WIN 1
RS-97

jbanes (OP)

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 06:23:11 pm »
Yeah, I loaded in Arena and it booted up flawlessly. I however never got to test anything like fallout because I could not get past any menus. Strangely, Alone in the Dark hardly works.

It's weird how that works sometimes. Though, Alone in the Dark hardly worked when it was new. So it doesn't surprise me it would be problematic.

If I ever get the mouse working, I'm totally loading up Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity and playing the starch out of that one! ;)

Jim Goose

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 07:14:16 pm »
If I am not mistaken, I think that works on scummvm. It seems like it would anyway.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
GPD WIN 1
RS-97