Author Topic: RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware  (Read 172231 times)

ace9094

Re: RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2019, 01:17:39 am »
Where can I find a reference documentation for this specific build?

Have you tried messaging gameblabla, I believe he is the creator of the RS-07 CFW ?
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

nealcobu

« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2019, 03:58:52 pm »
Hello everyone.
So I just got this great little arcade, and installed Gameblabla's custom firmware.
It is indeed amazing and the emulation really improved a lot, but I'm having a couple of issues with some emulators:
Basically, the following issues happen:

Atari Lynx: roms never load. black screen and not even the loading screen.
Gnuboy: when opening a GB or GBC rom, the "Loading" message pops up and then it goes back to the rom selection screen.
Master System: master system (.sms) roms don't play. same as the Lynx.

All of my roms are in .zip or .7z formats, and filters for those formats have been set in the links for all emulators.

I'd also like to know how good is psone emulation in the console. I haven't tried it yet and would love to know your opinions.

Thanks a lot in advance, and thanks Gameblabla for your amazing work. Hopefully you manage to do some more work of adding more emulators to the console since It's a wonderful one.

Blessings.

odjinan

« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2019, 04:43:39 pm »
you should unzip roms.

never encounter a problem with picodrive, or other emulator on gameblabla cfw release.  Check with another sdcard (and on external port?)

and...retrofw is coming to rs07 ;)

kaubisa07

« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »
you should unzip roms.

never encounter a problem with picodrive, or other emulator on gameblabla cfw release.  Check with another sdcard (and on external port?)

and...retrofw is coming to rs07 ;)
Retro fw already coming or coming soon?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

odjinan

« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2019, 06:30:52 pm »
betatest.

Will be available soon.

nealcobu

« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »
betatest.

Will be available soon.

This is wonderful news. Thanks a lot for your work.

odjinan

« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »
i'm just a guy lurking discord channel ;)

nealcobu

« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2019, 01:20:22 am »
Oh please do share, if possible, the discord channel link.
I'd love to contribute and participate.

riverinwoods

« Reply #328 on: December 18, 2019, 05:10:50 am »
Sick!".......any chance the ext controllers will be working on fba? Button configs

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #329 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »
Atari Lynx: roms never load. black screen and not even the loading screen.
Gnuboy: when opening a GB or GBC rom, the "Loading" message pops up and then it goes back to the rom selection screen.
Master System: master system (.sms) roms don't play. same as the Lynx.
Don't use zipped roms for Atari Lynx. In fact, don't use zipped roms at all.
I'm very surprised for Master System though, maybe i disabled zip support on that build but either way it should work.

Sick!".......any chance the ext controllers will be working on fba? Button configs
External controllers are supported on FBA as i demonstrated in a previous video (see first post).
However, there's no way to configure them, it is preset and assumes that you use the stock controllers.
It's possible that a USB standard controller will work but the mapping might set off some people.

Having a custom configuration along with a global configuration tool was one of my goals but honestly i think that it will never happen,
because it is very time consuming and each emulator/game needs to specifically support it.

I wonder if there might be a better approach, at least for single player games. (Something like a software keyboard uinput layer would greatly increase input lag)

betatest.
Will be available soon.
I was not made aware of this, i thought those guys stopped caring about it.
But knowing them, they will never open source their work or comply with the license as they decided to lay the blame on me and smear me on said Discord. (Going as far as saying that i sent them death threats, which is a lie. What can i say, the rats are picking up fights with the cats.)

I still need to fix that damn AV issue though so i'll probably just revert most of my changes and stick with the original source and hopefully that will fix it.

I should probably finish off whatever i have for my next firmware release (with OPK support, already working along with overclocking support). Once everything is working then i'll probably sell it because i don't like to drag on projects like this and quite frankly i'm getting tired of these consoles already.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:33:27 pm by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

nealcobu

« Reply #330 on: December 18, 2019, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi Gameblabla.

Yeah, those sorts of things happen. Thanks for your support so far though.

I'll unzip everything then, didn't know it caused such issues.

I'll wait for the final release then. Cheers.

evilteddy123

« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:32 pm »
@gameblabla I know you mentioned your last release of ps1 emulator does not support external controllers but I was wondering if there was any plans to do so before you close this chapter of development for rs07. I see this device is aging compared to some of the newer, more powerful devices so I'd like to know if we're reaching the end of the road soon.

I actually bought a generic Data Frog usb ps3 style controller that works well (mapped similarly to rs07 stock controllers?) With this thing and would LOVE to use with ps1 emulator since there are multiple buttons to utilize (main gripe with rs97 ps1 emulator which has limited capabilities for L2R2). Let me know your thoughts :)

Other ps1 lovers may rejoice in this option, thought I'd share my findings

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273799836899

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2019, 10:44:57 pm »
@gameblabla I know you mentioned your last release of ps1 emulator does not support external controllers but I was wondering if there was any plans to do so before you close this chapter of development for rs07. I see this device is aging compared to some of the newer, more powerful devices so I'd like to know if we're reaching the end of the road soon.

I actually bought a generic Data Frog usb ps3 style controller that works well (mapped similarly to rs07 stock controllers?) With this thing and would LOVE to use with ps1 emulator since there are multiple buttons to utilize (main gripe with rs97 ps1 emulator which has limited capabilities for L2R2). Let me know your thoughts :)

Other ps1 lovers may rejoice in this option, thought I'd share my findings

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273799836899
Yo,
the arcade mini will detect it and it will be playable on the emulators supporting external controllers but PCSX4ALL is going to require more work because some kind of a GUI will need to be added that maps to PCSX4ALL.
Now that support for analog sticks is done, i guess that it could be added now but having to deal with the GUI's code is going to be a huge pain in the ass. And as i said before, it will require a global GUI program for configurating everything.
It's going to be a huge pain in the ass because it will require extensive testing to make sure that nothing is broken and i'm not sure i will have the patience for that.

I could just add it to PCSX4ALL but then support will be inconsistent.

Oh and yeah, PCSX4ALL is a mess right now, i don't want to touch it. Maybe i'll update it once senquack messes around with it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:59:00 pm by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

evilteddy123

« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2019, 11:01:15 pm »
Ah I see. Not sure I understand all the intricacies you mention but I believe when you say it'll be complicated. If you are looking to add ext controller capabilities for PCSX4ALL, and hope it will map correctly to other controllers, I could try it out with my DATA FROG controller. Then atleast we could make a recommendation that this is one of the controllers that will map correctly. I learned about this one watching Wicked Gamer on YouTube. He tests several usb controllers so there is much love on the internet for this little arcade

Controllers test video:
https://youtu.be/GDJrWz7Z2UM

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2019, 05:12:21 pm »
Well well, what do we have here ?
https://github.com/retrofw/firmware

RetroFW got updated with IPU & OPK support. Sounds great right ?
I tested it with Super Mario War and it does work.

But.... they disabled USB controller support in the kernel. Pretty dumb.
I'll need to try it with my RS-07 builds to make sure but this game supports external controllers and configurating them so yeah...
If you guys want to use the external controllers with it, stick with my CFW for now.

But if you don't care about that and just want to use it without controller support then head to their github and flash it on your device.
Here's the SMW port if you want to give it a try :
https://gitlab.com/gameblabla/gameblabla-releases/-/raw/master/opk/retrofw/smw_retrofw.opk?inline=false
Source : https://github.com/gcw0/supermariowar

No, this isn't something i can fix because they haven't released the kernel source code yet but they did release ReGBA's source code.
(It got updated with newer changes)
https://github.com/pingflood/ReGBA

(Of course they lied to me when they said they couldn't, big surprise there. Their big claims on me about it were for nothing)
And it seems that no changes had been done to the MIPS recompiler there. So i suspect it could have been caused by the JZ4760B specific kernel source code.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 06:56:32 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

jbanes

« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2019, 11:59:52 pm »
And it seems that no changes had been done to the MIPS recompiler there. So i suspect it could have been caused by the JZ4760B specific kernel source code.
Nah. Turned out to be a stupid audio problem. The fix is this change here:

https://github.com/pingflood/ReGBA/commit/92754b81ce9c9e617f0abd455c51556f006e1614

We shared it back with Nebuleon in case she wanted to integrate it upstream.

But.... they disabled USB controller support in the kernel.
It's still there. But for this release we're explicitly telling everyone it's not. Too many things to troubleshoot right now. Best to save external controllers to a future release.

If you guys want to use the external controllers with it, stick with my CFW for now.
Can't argue. :)

(Of course they lied to me when they said they couldn't, big surprise there. Their big claims on me about it were for nothing)
About... releasing source? No lie. We've been working hard in the background to get signoff to release source. I got permission a few weeks ago and put out a source offer for ReGBA. We made sure the ReGBA repo was up to date for this release. Still working to get everything out there. Going to take a bit, but we'll get there.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #336 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:49 am »
Nah. Turned out to be a stupid audio problem. The fix is this change here:
https://github.com/pingflood/ReGBA/commit/92754b81ce9c9e617f0abd455c51556f006e1614
We shared it back with Nebuleon in case she wanted to integrate it upstream.
I would have never thought this simple issue could have guessed a cascade of issues... Nice
It still doesn't really explain why the original release worked on the JZ4760, RS-90 and GCW0 but specifically didn't on the JZ4760B but i'll take it.

Also, i had no idea that Nebuleon was a woman.

About... releasing source? No lie. We've been working hard in the background to get signoff to release source. I got permission a few weeks ago and put out a source offer for ReGBA. We made sure the ReGBA repo was up to date for this release. Still working to get everything out there. Going to take a bit, but we'll get there.
Permission from whom ? YLM China ? Aka the ones that became crazed after Nintendo went after them due to the Souilja boy incident ?
Little did people knew that China supersedes even the GPL.

That "source offer" was basically you asking for the physical addresses of people to send the source code. This is hardly an offer when you could have just uploaded it like you just did now...
It turns out that the fix for the crash was really stupidly simple and tony had made a mothill about it when i had asked about the fix.
Said Discord server made claims about me and others "harassing" and even death threats pingflood for daring to ask for the source code. Of course, people will believe that. /s

I hope you will do the right thing and also release the kernel and uboot source code because i'm sick and tired of dealing with this.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

jbanes

« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2019, 05:51:19 pm »
Aw, man. You ruined your perfect 1234 number of posts. I got such a kick out of that. :)

I would have never thought this simple issue could have guessed a cascade of issues... Nice
It still doesn't really explain why the original release worked on the JZ4760, RS-90 and GCW0 but specifically didn't on the JZ4760B but i'll take it.
Yeah, took me a while to process it as well. I kept looking for the correct fix until I was pointed *directly* at the audio changelog. It must be something to do with the way the chips interface.

Also, i had no idea that Nebuleon was a woman.
*shrug* I don't see why it matters. She's pretty good at what she does. :)

Little did people knew that China supersedes even the GPL.
If you've worked with China at all, you're probably aware that they don't take their OSS responsibilities very seriously. As you can probably tell from all the ROMs they ship, Copyright Law is more of a suggestion than a hard reality over there.

There are basically two ways we can approach this problem. We can browbeat them into compliance (which includes legal methods) or we can try to work with them to resolve the matter in a manner that is amicable to all parties.

The former method was already tried. It resulted in a lot of hurt feelings, damaged relationship, and a community that was in an objectively worse position. This is pretty typical of the "by force" results we see in the industry, with AllWinner's ongoing violations being a key example.

Right now I'm trying the latter approach. Let's sit down, talk about it, and have a conversation about why compliance is a good thing for everyone. So far I've managed to get the ReGBA sources out the door. Which I think is a pretty good start. If the community is willing to be supportive and patient, I think we can convince all the actors to let the rest out the door. :)

That "source offer" was basically you asking for the physical addresses of people to send the source code. This is hardly an offer when you could have just uploaded it like you just did now...
Oh good, you did see it! I'll take it down now. I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that a legal offer was on the table and that the rules of the GPL were being complied with when distributing the software. Since we've gotten to the online release of the source code and a new release of ReGBA (as I promised in that post) we don't need that distribution anymore. :)

Oh, one final thing. Sometimes our Discord users ask about you. Feel free to say hi! We strive for an open and friendly community.  8)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:07:21 am by jbanes »

cloudstr

« Reply #338 on: December 22, 2019, 08:55:11 am »
Well well, what do we have here ?
https://github.com/retrofw/firmware

RetroFW got updated with IPU & OPK support. Sounds great right ?
I tested it with Super Mario War and it does work.

Fantastic news! May i ask is it possible to port RetroFW firmware to the 'PAP Gameta 2' ? Its specs is similar to 'Retro Arcade Mini' which just recently got a port, both even running the same stock ROM i reckon.

Thank you everyone, you guys are really making something great.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:22:04 am by cloudstr »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #339 on: December 22, 2019, 09:51:34 pm »
Fantastic news! May i ask is it possible to port RetroFW firmware to the 'PAP Gameta 2' ? Its specs is similar to 'Retro Arcade Mini' which just recently got a port, both even running the same stock ROM i reckon.
Thank you everyone, you guys are really making something great.
If you have the later PAP Gameta 2 with the JZ4760B and 128MB of RAM then it could work but it's possible that it might not even boot when using the Arcade Mini.
And given that we never got kernel source code for it  or the PAP K3 Plus, don't expect much.
Also, they didn't release the kernel & uboot source code yet so it is not worth bothering.

I attempted to do so with the older kernel release that i had with the PAP K3S : it would display something on screen but the boot process would fail.
I didn't have a UART on hand to try and debug it.

RetroFW 2.0 has also other issues (including one where they seemingly moved $HOME to another location which can't be written to or has permission issues) so i would hold off on updating to it for now.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

Post a new topic