• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware  (Read 136829 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Re: Custom Firmware for the Retro Arcade Mini
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 06:41:36 pm »
I tried to run Pymenu and its working after add to /mnt/int_sd, but seems like the image is scaled for 320x240 image.
I?m put a usb keyboard on the device and its works!!!
It is possible start a bash terminal for simplify launch commands?
Yes, this device also does support USB keyboards and it's useful for debugging.
You can't start a graphical terminal (no such thing yet) but you can start sh files from GmenuNx with the Execute app.

And yes, the RS-07's screen resolution is different (480x272) hence why this happens.
I don't know why you guys even bother with Pymenu so you are on your own...

naxeras

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »
I tried to run Pymenu and its working after add to /mnt/int_sd, but seems like the image is scaled for 320x240 image.
I?m put a usb keyboard on the device and its works!!!
It is possible start a bash terminal for simplify launch commands?
Yes, this device also does support USB keyboards and it's useful for debugging.
You can't start a graphical terminal (no such thing yet) but you can start sh files from GmenuNx with the Execute app.

And yes, the RS-07's screen resolution is different (480x272) hence why this happens.
I don't know why you guys even bother with Pymenu so you are on your own...

Simply, pymenu is more beauty.  :)

Another question...

Is not possible copile a kernel for add a wireless usb adapter right?

Its horrible develop quitting and putting again the sdcard all times.  :'(

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »
Simply, pymenu is more beauty.  :)

Another question...

Is not possible copile a kernel for add a wireless usb adapter right?

Its horrible develop quitting and putting again the sdcard all times.  :'(
You could compile a kernel for that device but you would to make sure it supports the board.
And again, the manufacturer never released the source code for it. (violating the source, again...)
Surkow told me he intends on adding support for the JZ4760B once Pcerceui comes back from his vacation so that will eventually happen but not now though...

procyon

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
@gameblabla Thanks so much for all your work, this thing is so much more usable now.  When you say you need to port PicoDrive, I assume that none of the dge files over at dl.openhandhelds.org will work straight out of the box?  That YouTuber Johnny Liu showed a video of a PCE and Atari 2600 emulator each working on the stock firmware after downloading them and running them through his card (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaJjxnNQRM).  I don't have my device on hand right now, so can't try it myself, but is there any reason to believe these would be compatible with your FW?  And/or MAME?  Thanks!

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 07:29:54 pm »
@gameblabla Thanks so much for all your work, this thing is so much more usable now.  When you say you need to port PicoDrive, I assume that none of the dge files over at dl.openhandhelds.org will work straight out of the box?  That YouTuber Johnny Liu showed a video of a PCE and Atari 2600 emulator each working on the stock firmware after downloading them and running them through his card (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaJjxnNQRM).  I don't have my device on hand right now, so can't try it myself, but is there any reason to believe these would be compatible with your FW?  And/or MAME?  Thanks!
Those are just the dingoo binaries. The original firmware is compatible with those. But they also don't take advantage of the better hardware. (Software floats instead of hardware floats)
Really, it is better if someone just adapts it to the higher screen resolution and recompiles it again.
Then i won't have X complains about slowdowns or weird issues... The incompatibility is intentional.

Nikojiro

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 01:56:08 pm »
Thanks for your hard worl! I'll definitely try your firmware.

Can we hope to scale arcade games to fullscreen in the future? I have to say that this sounds like a major drawback... Since arcade definitely is the main target on this device.

cloudstr

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »
Those are just the dingoo binaries. The original firmware is compatible with those. But they also don't take advantage of the better hardware. (Software floats instead of hardware floats)
Really, it is better if someone just adapts it to the higher screen resolution and recompiles it again.
Then i won't have X complains about slowdowns or weird issues... The incompatibility is intentional.

Hello gameblabla, I'm very sorry if my post isn't correct. I googled and found that there are at least 2 source code of PicoDrive supported Dingux available on github:
- Version 1.92: https://github.com/notaz/picodrive
- Version 1.35b: https://github.com/dmitrysmagin/picodrive-rzx50

So in theory, we can fix things and compile the binary from the source code. But I'm not entirely sure it fully optimized for JZ4760 devices ... Well, you should know better than me :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:20:58 pm by cloudstr »

blackz1982

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 03:02:54 pm »
I answer to you.
Picodrive 1.92 newer and more powerful, but need to implement scaler for resolution 480x272.
Picodrive 1,35b old and less powerful, but already implemented scaler for resolution 480x272.

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

cloudstr

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »
I answer to you.
Picodrive 1.92 newer and more powerful, but need to implement scaler for resolution 480x272.
Picodrive 1,35b old and less powerful, but already implemented scaler for resolution 480x272.

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

Thank you for your explain. I guess it's not possible to adopt the 480x272 scaling method from v1.35b to v1.92..  Maybe we should ask "notaz" for help since he is the author of project and must know how to do it? Here is his email: [email protected]

diygamemodz

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »
I think I can provide some information to speed up the stretching.
 gameblabla, Please contact me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:26:49 pm by diygamemodz »
DIYGameModz
DIY電玩主機改造社

procyon

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:22 pm »
Hey, I have a stupid question, but I figured I'd ask it anyway in case there's a simpler solution than what I was thinking.  I put complete No-Into sets for some systems on my external card.  For NES that's over 2,700 files, and for SNES that's over 3,400.  It takes the system a painfully long time to open those directories, although it does a great job caching them and opening them back up after they've been loaded once.  I imagine this has to do with the quality of the hardware, and the read speeds, and there's not much I can do about it other than to break my directories up into smaller alphabetical folders.  Are there any other solutions to this, possibly firmware related?  Or is this something a FW can't correct?  Thanks.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 01:20:22 am »
So i came back to it and the kernel in the Arcade Mini does support USB flash sticks and mounting them.
If you want to give it a try, plug one to it and put this file called usbmount.sh somewhere on either the external sd card or the internal one :
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/int_sd/usb
Your USB flash stick will be mounted to /mnt/int_sd/usb.

When pingflood comes back (hopefully), i will ask him to add support for USB flash sticks.

It's also possible that this device supports USB networking too. However, it will only work through the full USB ports, not the mini ports due to a bug in either the kernel or the bootloader. (Said bootloader doesn't support USB mode since RS-97 1.0S revisions and including the Arcade Mini)
So if you want to have internet on that thing, you'll need to grab a USB to ethernet adapter.
Btw, it won't be that useful honestly, apart from maybe grabbing a few files with wget/curl and all...

It could be useful though for updating the firmware over the internet.

Hey, I have a stupid question, but I figured I'd ask it anyway in case there's a simpler solution than what I was thinking.  I put complete No-Into sets for some systems on my external card.  For NES that's over 2,700 files, and for SNES that's over 3,400.  It takes the system a painfully long time to open those directories, although it does a great job caching them and opening them back up after they've been loaded once.  I imagine this has to do with the quality of the hardware, and the read speeds, and there's not much I can do about it other than to break my directories up into smaller alphabetical folders.  Are there any other solutions to this, possibly firmware related?  Or is this something a FW can't correct?  Thanks.
That's an issue with GMenuNX. I am well aware it suffers from long loading times for large romset.
My launcher doesn't suffer from this issue but i stopped working on it because it was too difficult to support all of the requested features...
Hopefully Pingflood can take a look at it. He's currently in vacation though.

diygamemodz

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:57 am »
4760 I have the information, if you need to contact me
So i came back to it and the kernel in the Arcade Mini does support USB flash sticks and mounting them.
If you want to give it a try, plug one to it and put this file called usbmount.sh somewhere on either the external sd card or the internal one :
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/int_sd/usb
Your USB flash stick will be mounted to /mnt/int_sd/usb.

When pingflood comes back (hopefully), i will ask him to add support for USB flash sticks.

It's also possible that this device supports USB networking too. However, it will only work through the full USB ports, not the mini ports due to a bug in either the kernel or the bootloader. (Said bootloader doesn't support USB mode since RS-97 1.0S revisions and including the Arcade Mini)
So if you want to have internet on that thing, you'll need to grab a USB to ethernet adapter.
Btw, it won't be that useful honestly, apart from maybe grabbing a few files with wget/curl and all...

It could be useful though for updating the firmware over the internet.

That's an issue with GMenuNX. I am well aware it suffers from long loading times for large romset.
My launcher doesn't suffer from this issue but i stopped working on it because it was too difficult to support all of the requested features...
Hopefully Pingflood can take a look at it. He's currently in vacation though.
DIYGameModz
DIY電玩主機改造社

tebin

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 10:34:25 am »
does not have megadrive emulator? :(

Nikojiro

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 01:54:01 pm »
Just installed the firmware, did not have time yet to play with it, but it looks nice. I'll report on how I fare with it in due time.

@gameblabla
Now I'm thinking, I've been pretty much living off the community (both here and at OpenConsoles french forum) for some years, and what a community! The time would be about right to give back some effort to this very community. So I'd be willing to help you with this CFW.

Two things worth mentioning regarding the scope of what I can offer:

- I have 15+ years of experience as a software developer, but I'm mostly a Java / data / distributed systems person. However I have a pretty extensive Linux experience. With a good kickstart I might be of some help  ;)
- I have a pretty intense job and kids, so I will not be able to deliver as fast as you did over the past months

So, if taking these points into consideration, you'd be willing to accept some help, feel free to get back to me!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:56:07 pm by Nikojiro »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 06:07:48 pm »
does not have megadrive emulator? :(
Not yet

Now I'm thinking, I've been pretty much living off the community (both here and at OpenConsoles french forum) for some years, and what a community! The time would be about right to give back some effort to this very community. So I'd be willing to help you with this CFW.
Two things worth mentioning regarding the scope of what I can offer:
- I have 15+ years of experience as a software developer, but I'm mostly a Java / data / distributed systems person. However I have a pretty extensive Linux experience. With a good kickstart I might be of some help  ;)
- I have a pretty intense job and kids, so I will not be able to deliver as fast as you did over the past months
So, if taking these points into consideration, you'd be willing to accept some help, feel free to get back to me!
Shame because knowing Java will be absolutely pointless, especially since Java does not have a MIPS jit anyway. Not sure how you can help unless you are a kernel programmer (or just want to port more software, programmed in C or C++ obviously).

JHale

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:45 am »
I'm waiting for a MAME port so I can get TMNT and Pacman going. :)

Nikojiro

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 07:47:25 am »
Shame because knowing Java will be absolutely pointless, especially since Java does not have a MIPS jit anyway. Not sure how you can help unless you are a kernel programmer (or just want to port more software, programmed in C or C++ obviously).

Allow me to disagree a wee bit  ;)

It never crossed my mind to develop any Java on this SoC, that indeed would be pointless. Funny thing though is that Java was initially designed with embedded systems in mind (that was basically the motivation for its cross platform architecture) ! But given its C ancestry, I am not clueless with either C or C++.

I'd try to do some porting. If you'd want to fill me in a bit on how to set up the toolchain, that would help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:16:05 am by Nikojiro »

erroneus

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 11:02:19 pm »
Just getting myself started in with this Retro Arcade mini thing and at the moment, I'm just playing with the original load.  In the youtube messaging, I got as far as learning where everything is and then figuring out how to move some things around.

But I'm really interested in the work you are doing and I wonder if there is to be network support along with keyboard/terminal support?  Would be super-cool to be able to drop down to that level to tweak or hack.  I noticed in the original load, it had some things which were left over and it has a full shell and all that if one had a USB network device it would recognize and who knows what else is required.  But being able to SSH in and tweak things about would be really useful.

Where might I be able to acquire your work in progress?

LBL Gamer

• Level By Level Gaming
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 06:54:14 pm »
Ok, so I watched the video of this firmware running on the k3p all the way to the end. I realize that there were crashes and other problems but I was excited to see cave story and others run full screen. I currently would like to get cave story, quake, doom, duke nukem...etc full screen and running in my menu (LBL). can I pull the versions from this menu? gameblabla, any insite? Thanks
Just your average 80's kid with a love for all things gaming. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN25Sl8nR2pcbikBa2ZRZvQ

Post a new topic